Treadlife ratings

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Treadlife ratings

Post by rallysam »

What is a ballpark conversion between treadwear ratings (UTQG) and mileage?

I'm trying to decide between treadlifes around 220 and treadlifes around 320. I put a lot of miles on the car, mostly highway, with an autoX every few months.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I do know that a 200 treadwear rating will last half as long as a 400 treadwear. Mileage is hard to tell though, some people can get 40k miles from a set of 320 while others only get 25k.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

I think you are right that it goes proportionally with mileage - though it varies from driver to driver.

25k - 40k miles out of a 320? Well, that's not TOO bad. That suggests that I would get 17k - 28k miles out of a 220 which would last me over a year.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
'00 Impr RS - sold
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

tread ratings are subjective. As mentioned, it can and will depend on the driver.....depend on rotations....plus different manufacturers' tires will last different, even with the same tread rating and same driving style/person, etc.

You can ballpark mileage based off the numbers, but I wouldn't bet any money on them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Okay, I got new General XP2000 tires the day I got my car, that was at 90,365 miles (yes I still remember :D ).

They have a treadwear rating of 360.

My car now has ~120,250 miles on it, minus about 6,000 with my rims so what, roughly 24,000 miles on these tires...

Tread is about halfway to Lincoln's hairline, so they're okay right now but will need replacing soon. So let's expect about 35-40,000 miles out of a 360 treadwear tire with mostly highway driving with a little judicious corner-taking here and there :twisted:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

subyluvr2212 wrote:Okay, I got new General XP2000 tires the day I got my car, that was at 90,365 miles (yes I still remember :D ).

They have a treadwear rating of 360.

My car now has ~120,250 miles on it, minus about 6,000 with my rims so what, roughly 24,000 miles on these tires...

Tread is about halfway to Lincoln's hairline, so they're okay right now but will need replacing soon. So let's expect about 35-40,000 miles out of a 360 treadwear tire with mostly highway driving with a little judicious corner-taking here and there :twisted:
Cool. Thanks for another data point. Sounds like a treadwear in the low 200's will probably last me over a year, which sounds good to me.

If anyone has strong opinions to share, I'm looking at:
Kuhmo Ecsta MX's vs Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Thanks, guys!
'00 Impr RS - sold