Subaru Impreza Turbo suspension on the Legacy...!?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Gustaf
In Neutral

Subaru Impreza Turbo suspension on the Legacy...!?

Post by Gustaf »

Hi! I recently bought an 1990 Subaru Legacy 1.8 GLX (EJ18 SPI (TBI) engine)
I've read somwhere that Subaru Impreza Turbo shocks and springs (the hole leg) fit the Legacy.
And do i need to replace the wheelhub and brakes too?

But what years of the Impreza fit? Does the Impreza GT MY99 fit? It would be great if i could have
a fast answer =)

Thanks in advance, Regards Gustaf, Sweden.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... reza+turbo

don't ask what I meant by drivetrain type, i don't even remember now.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Gustaf
In Neutral

Post by Gustaf »

Ok, how did they work? I still dont understand if the Impreza GT MY99 Europen version suspension will fit my 1990 Legacy?
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

yes, it will fit fine, so long as you change it all. The rates are very good.

i have impreza "turbo" (actually usdm 2.5rs) suspension on my 90.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Gustaf
In Neutral

Post by Gustaf »

so it doesn't matter that i have the first legacy 1990 and the impreza is from 1999?

is the whole suspensionleg enough? it's from an impreza that runs coilovers now, so the parts that get left after the coiloverswap should be enough?? Thanks alot! For your help!
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

This has been covered about a billion times, but here it is again:

the springs are different, the struts are different, and the perches are different. This doesnt matter if you replace the whole spring/strut unit with the impreza one, it bolts into place and the rates are very good. It will slightly lower the car, but quite slight.

The easy way to tell is this: If you need a spring compressor to complete your install, you are probably missing a part. The exception is the top mounts, which are the same.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Gustaf
In Neutral

Post by Gustaf »

THANKS ALOT for your answer, I'm sorry if I'm a bit annoying but I just bought my first Subaru and my english is not the best in the world... and as I am a student I cant afford to buy the suspension from the Impreza and find it to be a non fit.

But as I understand the "leftoverparts" after his coiloverswap should be enough. I will post pics of the stuff tonight when I recive the pics from the seller.....

Once again.. thanks alot!!!
Gustaf
In Neutral

Post by Gustaf »

Hi again! Here are the pics of the suspension... Is this enough for a direct swap? And is it worth 350$ for them? 1999 and 150000km

and Image

Kindly Regards // Gustaf
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'm pretty sure you'll need the top mounts for at least the rear since the springs are tapered in the Legacy (in the US at least).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Gustaf
In Neutral

Post by Gustaf »

hmm =( ... so they won't fit then?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

They will fit with new rear top mounts. The top mount sits on top of the upper spring perch and bolts to the chassis. You might be able to use your existing front tops. Here are some pictures I took of a Group N rear top for a 93-01 USDM Impreza I will be using to install 2004 STi suspension:

I'd say that's a lot of kms on that suspension. Also makes me wonder If I can change my tops without a spring compressor. How are those spring perches bolted on without tops, or were the tops just taken off and the bolt was put back down on the perch?
peter@functionauto.com
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Yeah thats what I was gonna ask. Did someone re-assemble the strut/springs without top mounts?
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

When i did my suspension, the rear top mounts themselves looked identical, it was the spring perches that were different. I suspect that "topmounts" is misinformation spread by the web, but i can't confirm that. I shoulda checked in more detail, but i had already bought the sti mounts. The spring perches, which gustav has in the pics, are different though.

Legacy springs cannot be done without a compressor, but any 200+ lb fella can do impreza springs by himself; i know i did.

That sounds like a lot of miles on those struts, i bet they're pretty shot. I paid 200 for struts/springs with 8000km on them. For those, i would spend, ehh, maybe 100. Keep in mind im on a different continent.
Gustaf
In Neutral

Post by Gustaf »

My english fails me again... so do I need new topmounts or not? And can i use the front ones? Aprox. what does new topmounts cost?
Actually the suspension had "only" been used 90000km. I misunderstood the seller at first... But 350$+ topmounts might be a bit much, or? Is it worth the money over my stock suspension which is in much better shape when it comes to rust, and front shocks replaced once 1999. ?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

The rear top mounts were $110 US for the pair, plus about $7 for shipping. These are STi group N mounts, which are nicer and harder than stock. Stock mounts might be cheaper at a dealership.

Now that I think about it, I can't find any places that list separate rear tops for the 93-01 Impreza, 90-91 Legacy, and 92-94 Legacy.

Actually, at boxer4racing, it says this for the KYB tops:
KYB Rear Strut Tops for Impreza 93-2001 and Legacy 90-1994.
I guess that settles that. Yes your existing tops will work.

Over here, that is a high price for suspension with that many kms.

So, to summarize:
Yes it will fit
Yes you can use you old top mounts (we think)
It's a little expensive by US standards.
peter@functionauto.com
Gustaf
In Neutral

Post by Gustaf »

Thanks alot once again, as the topmounts should fit, the front too?! I will try to get the price a bit lower... if he lowers it then it should be a quite good buy with some cleaning and painting...

Is the dampers inserts or are they hole perch an oil container with an piston in it? Can i cleen them with high pressure water near the top?
92 Le-Turbo-SS
First Gear

Post by 92 Le-Turbo-SS »

yes get those puppies down, I spent $200 for mine off a '00 RS and they only had 7000mi. on em.

[quote="Yukonart"]Take what money you have left, buy some beer, and drunk drift that biatch later tonight! :lol:[/quote]