Hypothetical question

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Hypothetical question

Post by Tleg93 »

Let me pose a situation. Let's say that a bank was going to reposses a car. Now let's say that said owner had two cars of more or less the same model. If the owner, seeing the repossesion coming, were to swap engines, shocks and various other 'non-visible' items would that be unethical or just plain shrewd?
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

And the antisocial narcisist says: Sharrewwwd!
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I'd call it smart as long as no one found out. Strip it.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

If caught, probably charged with theft.....

Just think, if you happen to have purchased a NEW car and did this, and they repossessed it and it was obviously messed with, I doubt they would consider you "even" with the bank. So even if it is an older car, I would skip this idea.

I know if someone who did this with a wrecked STI, swapped over EVERYTHING from a FWD imprezza. Lets just say he finally made the right decision and told the insurance company just before they figured it out.....
Last edited by douglas vincent on Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
JC
First Gear

Post by JC »

If the owner saw the repo coming, he should sell the car and try to save his credit.
[url=http://img254.echo.cx/img254/5309/pond8fq.jpg]2000 2.5RS[/url]
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Good advice JC...but can the owner at least have the shocks?
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

It's not always possible to sell the car... if you owe more than it's worth, you can't get rid of it because you have to pay the loan off to get the title.

It really kind of depends on how different the cars actually are. For instance, if it was actually the same make and model and just swapping the new stuff for the old stuff, that's virtually foolproof. If it's the same make but different model (or newer generation or something), so it still says "Subaru" or something on the engine, it's VERY unlikely anyone would know enough to notice the difference. If it's a totally different type, not worth it.

Of course these are all general ideas, since there are no actual cars in the picture, and so no details. :)
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Let's say one is a 91 turbo and the other is a 93 turbo.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

If someone presented me with a situation like that I would say do it, right away.
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

the repo man will only be smart enough to look at the VIN number plate to make sure it matches the order he has to do the repo, he isnt going to know what parts are or are not supposed to be on the car. He would care less, as long as he has the right chassis.

Hell, throw in a blown motor from a junkyard car, and you will have yourself a backup motor. throw on some junkyard rims, tires,etc etc on the one he is re-poing. etc etc. grab the ECU, get the fuel pump, and then you will even have some spare parts for down the road. Might want to leave the battery there, so at least it cranks over the blown motor, lol.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
JC
First Gear

Post by JC »

jnorion wrote:It's not always possible to sell the car... if you owe more than it's worth, you can't get rid of it because you have to pay the loan off to get the title.
If you have TWO cars, sell the other one and use it to make your payments on the one getting repo'd. Having a repossion on your credit is no joke.

I doubt the repo man would notice and if it was small things, the bank probably wouldn't either. If you are gonna swap things like a motor, I dunno that I would risk defrauding a bank on top of defaulting on a loan. Of course this is all hypothetical.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

It is hypothetical and I was mostly curious what people thought of the possibility of the idea.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I agree. Repo man doesn't care and the bank will just dump an ancient car like that to auction. Plenty of people blow their cars if they know they're going to get repo'd. A guy I know did that for a while and he said they always brought a tow truck for that reason. Of course, this was NY/NJ area. Probably costs them more to repo it than it's worth. I'm not sure I'd actually do this myself since it's too much like stealing to me, but that's the pussy little conscience inside and I try not to listen to him, so to be safe I haven't defaulted any loans (or taken many). But whatever this theoretical person does is their thing and if their conscience doesn't bother them, go for it. Banks are basically legal organized crime anyway.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

anything that you can do to screw an insurance company or bank and get away with it, do it.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

When the repossesion people come, they only confirm the VIN and take it away. After that, if it is a 91 or 93, it will usually go to auction to try and regain the lost money. As long as the car has an engine, tranny, etc, I don't think anyone will bother complaining.

Technically it is still your car until they repossess it, so it is a grey area of theft(if you do take the parts and replace them with other Subaru parts).

So (taking parts from it and replacing it with other lesser parts) will probably not be noticed.
Your credit will be toast for quite awhile, so maybe you might want to get what you can out of it.

As for screwing the "man", well, you don't want to hear my opinion on this as many other people here have voiced the opposite opinion.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

206er wrote:anything that you can do to screw an insurance company or bank and get away with it, do it.
It's your attitude that makes our insurance/loan premiums so high!

Thanks a lot bud...:-/
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

But it's how the banks and insurance companies operate that causes honest hardworking people to think like that - as far as I'm concerned, they deserve it and furthermore have asked for it.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

When a bank contracts to lend a buyer the money to buy a car the buyer's side of the deal is to pay it back with interest. The specific car is the collateral on the loan.

Rather than doing all the work to change the engine, why not find a way to keep up the payments?

Shouldn't this thread go in the subheading---Cashtray -- :?: :smt048
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Hmm... it might be an Ashtray thing, but it is also a Subaru thing...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

how much could you possibly owe on a 91 or even a 93 legacy? shit at a minimum you could put the amount on a credit card although its not a great idea at leaste its better than a repo on your credit history like someone else said.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I know all of this. I was just asking out of curiousity. If I were to lose my job suddenly, which could easily happen, I need to be prepared for the worst. I owe around a grand on my car. I paid a pretty penny for it. In hindsight I could have talked him down but because the car was in what seemed to be good condition I bit on the offer.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
JC
First Gear

Post by JC »

free5ty1e wrote:But it's how the banks and insurance companies operate that causes honest hardworking people to think like that - as far as I'm concerned, they deserve it and furthermore have asked for it.
How so? You agree to the terms of any loan you take out. If you don't like it, don't take the loan.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

First of all, many banks do scam people and some of the things they do are very shady regarding holding monies and not creditng your account in a timely manner. But, yes, you do agree to the terms of a loan when you take it out, it doesn't go much beyond that. As a side note, many banks are run by some of the greediest people around. They sometimes act arrogant and standoffish because, after all, if you didn't need them they wouldn't be there so they tend to act like they own you which in many ways they do. At least, they own the coin of the realm. Something that bugs me is how banks inject themselves commercially into the public mind, like the Wachovia half time show in the super bowl or the Sovereign stadium but that 's another story and it's off topic.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

555BCTurbo wrote:
206er wrote:anything that you can do to screw an insurance company or bank and get away with it, do it.
It's your attitude that makes our insurance/loan premiums so high!

Thanks a lot bud...:-/
any time. :-D
they are out to screw us, why not return the favor.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

^^^ that's what I'm saying.

Sometimes, it's not that you want to get a loan, it's that you need to get a loan. The banks kind of have you over a barrel when you need something, since they all cooperate and play by the same rules. The only exceptions are maybe the credit unions, which are a bit more fair and equitable.

Besides, would the bank appreciate the functioning parts in the car more, or someone who loves Subarus?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock