PICTURES!!! of my IC install that is...

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyPunk
Second Gear

PICTURES!!! of my IC install that is...

Post by LegacyPunk »

Hey everybody, I finally got my pics up so here they are...
Image Image

I guess this is where somone had Nitrous installed??
http://images.cardomain.com/member_imag ... 3_full.jpg

These are the hose that I used, and a little exhaust piece for a coupler from the hose to the perrin hose
http://images.cardomain.com/member_imag ... 8_full.jpg

This is a better view of the adapter I used for the stock blow off valve, it came with the Intercooler, I don't know why but luckily it did
http://images.cardomain.com/member_imag ... 0_full.jpg

Heres a side view of the setup
http://images.cardomain.com/member_imag ... 6_full.jpg

LEGACY
http://images.cardomain.com/member_imag ... 7_full.jpg
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

lookin good.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Hondaslayer
In Neutral

Post by Hondaslayer »

Stock turbo? I may have a better solution,just need to test it.
2001 Impreza RS-t. Homebrewed turbo kit,10 psi,water injection.Now with anti-lag to preserve freshness!! SOLD!!!
1991 Legacy turbo sedan. Rally prep
2004 Forester XT Stockish
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I really like the "Legacy" on the i/c. Very nice touch. :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Looks pretty good, particularly given the resources you had.

That corrugated tubing is pretty harsh on flow, though; corrugation causes lots of eddies at the edges of the pipe. The turbulence basically results in flow equal to that of a pipe of a much smaller diameter.

I also like the "Legacy" spray painted on.

You should use the port that someone used for NOS for methanol injection! =)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Thats what I thought about the tubing, I noticed that the turbo took a little longer to spool, might just be because it has to go through all the tubing, but I needed the car up and running :roll: . Other than that having an STi replica hood scoop really helps, so far the IC has been cold, cool or luke warm, depending on what time of day I drive it. I LOVE the louder engine sound that the IC added :twisted:. If anyone has any suggestions on a more free flowing tube I could use, feel free to suggest, oh yeah, Anyone know where I could get some blue spark plug wires??
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Try http://www.nology.com/hot.html

They are the only plug makers that make blue wires that i can think of right now. I know they have subaru applications, you may have to all them.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I take that back, magnecor also has blue plug wires (www.magnecor.com)

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Unfortunately the geometry makes it really hard to join the compressor outlet to the intercooler inlet pipe, so I can see why you had to resort to this kind of tubing. Even if you got a hose the right shape it would still be restrictive because of the turns it has to make.

The only thing I can think of is cutting off the end of the black Y pipe, so it comes out straight pointing more or less towards the front of the car instead of towards the passenger side. Then you could find a hose that's approximately the right diameter that is straight but has a 90-degree bend at one end. That bend could go to the compressor outlet and the straight end could mate up with the chopped end of the Y pipe.

If you want blue plug wires you could just get an NGK wireset. They're good wires and have sharp bright blue silicone insulation. =)

I've heard bad things about how quickly Nology wires wear. I don't know if they're justified or not.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Damn... I dunno about that turbo-IC hose... Im guessin its not gonna last long especially at high boost... I've gone through quite a few hoses myself and they don't have anywhere near as much bending.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

Buy some NGK wires. They are blue and I just put them in my car. I like them. www.ngk.com
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Post by pjgaerlan »

What hood scoop is that and where did you get your legacy Stencil? It looks good. Did you get rid of the AC?

PJ
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

vrg3: your idea would probably work, the Perrin pipe actually comes really close to the stock turbo's outlet, if you bend it a little. its like 3 inches off. There would be some squeezing of the 90 degree hose that would go directly under the IC, as the coolant line to the turbo is kind of in the way, its not much of a pinch but I bet it would be a better setup than I have now, I think Ill try it next weekend. Oh and do you think the restrictiveness harms anything other than spool up time??

PJ: the scoop is a WRX STi replica that I got at the dealership, for the stencil I just found the "Legacy" logo on the internet, blew it up, and printed it out, and just cut out the letters. I got rid of the AC, mostly cause I never use it.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

When I was installing my intercooler I moved the coolant line since at first the braided hose I used ate right through the line.

I cut the little sheetmetal strip holding the two coolant banjo fittings on the turbo together and basically rotated the upper fitting 45 degrees or so towards the back of the car. I had to cut the chimney to clear it, but it kept the coolant line lower and out of harm's way.

The hose restricts flow but also acts as a pressure drop. If you're running high boost at the manifold, then you're probably running really[ high boost at the compressor outlet. Be wary of overspeeding your turbo.
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Well im only running 9-10 psi of boost, Is that considered high boost? Sounds like Ill have to drain the coolant and fiddle with things, as I also want to move the coolant tank to where the AC was like on NuwanD's car. Thanks for all the info vrg3
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If you move the coolant tank you may want to replace that banjo fitting with one aiming where you want it, or maybe massage it yourself.

9-10 psi at the manifold isn't too high, but keep in mind that with your setup it's probably somewhere like 13 or 14 psi out of the compressor outlet. Good thing it's intercooled. :)
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Post by pjgaerlan »

Has anybody put a NA A/C line in place of the legacy turbo line? I am looking at doing this so I don't need to lose my A/C.

PJ
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Post by FreddexTurbo2Go »

PJ I put in a NA AC line on my car. It does work and I don't think it will be a problem. Just like yourself I did not want to loose my AC so this appears to be the only alternative. I've also installed a 2002 USDM WRX intercooler and with this intercooler the original turbo chimney has to be removed anyways as there is not enough space between the two. But I'm going to try to fabricate a new chimney (by possibly using the OEM one) to funnel out the turbo heat in the future.

Fred
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
AWD, Turbo, Flat-4 what more can you ask for?
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Post by pjgaerlan »

Did you have to pay to have your system discharged and recharged again? I'm gonna pick up a N/A line today or tomorrow. I'll let you know thanks for the info

PJ
FreddexTurbo2Go
In Neutral

Post by FreddexTurbo2Go »

PJ,
I discharged it myself and haven't gotten it recharged yet as it's cold outside now anyways.
Fred
2006 Legacy GT sedan
1992 Legacy Sports Sedan
AWD, Turbo, Flat-4 what more can you ask for?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

FreddexTurbo2Go wrote:PJ,
I discharged it myself and haven't gotten it recharged yet as it's cold outside now anyways.
Fred
be careful....your defrost will use the A/C to remove extra moisture. So make sure to unplug the compressor so it does not try and kick on, and fry itself with no oil and refridge.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Or you could pull the four rectangular black relays out from the underhood fuse box. That disables A/C nicely without leaving any connectors open to the elements.
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Post by pjgaerlan »

So "IF" I just discharge the system myself. Do I just unbolt the the AC line near the firewall?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

no, do one of the ones on the compressor
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
pjgaerlan
In Neutral

Need help w/ IC install

Post by pjgaerlan »

I once again tried to fit My WRX IC. I kept ending up about 1/4" too high still. finally got it to drop down far enough and now I need to connect the IC to the turbo. What kind of flexible hose did you use? I may go this route since the OEM Y-pipe sits a little lower than the turbo outlet? any help?

thanks

PJ