Need opinion for this scenario

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

KC0514
First Gear

Need opinion for this scenario

Post by KC0514 »

I had an earlier thread about my EJ22T running very rough and having NO spark in the front 2 cyclinder. (changed ECM, coil,plugs,wires,ignitor)

Anyway the scenario. I had gotten gas from the pump we have here at work for delivery trucks. To find out it looks like we got a conatminated load of fuel sometime possibly within the window of when I got fuel.

When the car goes into limp mode, does it shut off 2 cylinders to protect the motor??? Maybe one cylinder per side?

If that is true, plus bad fuel might explain my problem.

What do ya think?

Plus, how do I shut off the fuel pump so I can squirt fuel into it and see if it runs better?

Thanks
"Better to be a racer for a moment, than a spectator for life."- unknown

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway
KC0514
First Gear

Post by KC0514 »

I guess no response means that this is not true.

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I have never heard of a limp mode killing 2 cylinders.

No spark.

Hmmmm

You started at the plugs and worked backwards: but what about the wires from the ignitor. or the wires to the ignitor.

I would unplug a few things and test them.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

As far as I'm aware, limp mode runs rich and cuts timing.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Steve is correct. I've never had my car limp into 2 cylinders. None of my Subaru's have done that.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
gto7419
Second Gear

Post by gto7419 »

Im just curious - how does bad fuel destroy the electrical system?

Are you sure youre getting fuel?

If you crank over the car with the coil attached but no spark plug wires attached to it, you should get a major spark out of each coil output grounding out on the intake manifold.....

Did you replace the parts with new or used? Known working parts?

I recently just had a problem where my car would idle but would not rev. I had spark, but a bad miss at anything other than idle... Turned out to be the ignitor. The coil would knock out two cylinders at a time I believe....
500cc Shifterkart, 125cc Shifterkart, 01 MX5, 93 Legacy Wagon (DIY Turbo)
KC0514
First Gear

Post by KC0514 »

I was trying to figure out if limp mode cut 2 cyclinders, which I now know is untrue.

Fuel effecting electrical scenario was that we had contaminated batch of gas at work that fried 3 engines and caused havoc on a few more. I was unsure if I got any of that batch. Therefore thinking that if bad fuel screwed sumthin up, maybe the computer sensed an error and put it in limp mode.

But I now know this is untrue.

I replaced coil, ignitor, computer from another running Sport Sedan I have.

I'm getting gas, but I plan on trying to "run it off the bottle" to see if maybe I'm not getting enough.

I will also start testing the wires like dscobbydoo has suggested.

Thanks for some more ideas for me to try.

Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

CHANGE your fuel filter.
If you got bad fuel (ie... water in it, dirt, sediment etc) the Fuel Filter will do its job as it was designed. If it was water in the gas, the fuel filter is designed so water in it will cause it to swell, cutting off the fuel supply mostly. If it was dirt, or sediment, it will just simply clog the filter. So do it.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Good explanantion, Bheinen!
'94 TW