Pippen's First Gen Legacy JDM replica sidekirts: in/out?

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32

Side Skirt Menu

No thank you, I like stock.
11%
No thank you, I've not the desire at this price.
6%
Ill think about it...
50%
I'll take a set in Fiberglass!
22%
I'll take a set in Carbon Fiber *prepped for paint*
6%
I'll take a set in Carbon Fiber *show me the carbon*
6%

Total votes: 18

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Pippen's First Gen Legacy JDM replica sidekirts: in/out?

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

The SHOP:

The body shop is called "The Dogs Ballz" custom airbrushing and body, located in Bevier, MO. The owner's name is Pippen. I've personally known him for almost three years and his work speaks for itself. He has gone exclusively into custom fabrication/paint. Though in Ireland, he owned a full service high end body and respray shop.

The PRICE:
Pippen quoted $400 to $500, if 5 people get into a group buy for Replica JDM Legacy Sideskirts. There are members of the forum that have demonstrated that they'd be willing to allow a mold to be taken from thier side skirts *in other jdm thread*

And the price listed is ballpark, with 5 people. Dividing the mold making time by five essentially. So obviously it'll fall as the people increase, so when the group buy is ready to process, the price above is essentially, *worst case scenario*.

And after a bit of discussion with members and the body shop, the most cost-effective way for a smaller group buy appears to be via fiberglass. And the final product will be in a ready for paint, no working needed and finished in a coat of high quality gray epoxy primer.

Carbon Fiber?:
Pippen said carbon fiber would create a lighter side skirt. AND repairable as fiberglass. The molds would require no rework and laying it wouldn't be any more difficult. Thought it'd raise the price just enough to compensate the cost of the material.

He mentioned that making side skirts wouldn't be so expensive as a hood made in carbon fiber *per square inch* since huge sheets of the carbon cloth cost much more per sq in. just because it's a huge sheet. Narrow rolls of carbon fiber that'd work perfectly are significantly less expensive. So if it's carbon fiber, instead of fiberglass, when the group buy is ready, we'll have a quote ready for all those who want it.

I added a poll, to see what kind of interest and how much interest we're looking at.

Thanks,

Ken
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Sounds like a awesome idea. So which is actually cheaper though?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

i'd be down. Im going to Japan in May so all my money is going into savings right now but after that i would be able to buy them after a paycheque
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

ericem wrote:Sounds like a awesome idea. So which is actually cheaper though?
Well, fiberglass is cheaper. ^^
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Gerry
In Neutral

Post by Gerry »

Are these for a wagon?
93 Legacy Turbo Wagon EJ22T
98 Legacy Brighton EJ22E
01 GTP Special Edition 3.8L Supercharged
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Gerry wrote:Are these for a wagon?
I'm under the impression that the wagon and sedan are the same base chassis, just sheet metal and some suspension components are different...

They'd fit as long as the wagons wheelbase is the same.. ^^ might do a search for wagon vs. sedan wheelbase specs. That should help answer your question.
SuperRallyRoo
Third Gear

Post by SuperRallyRoo »

is this the full side skirt front bumper rear bumper and side skirt or just the sill skirts? Is there a pic of a legacy with the skirts you are talking about? I am not sure what the stock legacy JDM side skirts look like but I am interested.
Legacyless
98 Jetta TDI
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

SuperRallyRoo wrote:is this the full side skirt front bumper rear bumper and side skirt or just the sill skirts? Is there a pic of a legacy with the skirts you are talking about? I am not sure what the stock legacy JDM side skirts look like but I am interested.
Well, it's just the side skirts. ^^ one step at a time, but for pics there's a few on the site, a search should bring up a few. We need some up-close pics too, I've not found any good ones yet, but feel free to post a link if you find some good ones. ^^
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

lil update, his shop is now "avoiding using the 'Dogs Ballz' as a trademark..." he said that he's had quite a few bad reactions from it. He says its a fun saying in Ireland, but hasn't caught on here yet, so few got the humor.. :P

He's changed most signs to "Pippen's" ^^
SuperRallyRoo
Third Gear

Post by SuperRallyRoo »

I know a guy with DogzBOLX on his wrx plate. haha he is british.
Legacyless
98 Jetta TDI
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

SuperRallyRoo wrote:I know a guy with DogzBOLX on his wrx plate. haha he is british.
Feck yeah! hehe

I know a british guy here in Missouri with a wrx... maybe there's something to this!.. hehe, nah, just good taste in cars!

Oh and dont worry about the front lip and rear lip... they're back burner right now, but dont worry, they're on the stove! I'm thinking were going to have to finance the sideskirts with my scoop design. It's a 3M or expoxy, stick on.. hehe not *bolt on* to the oem turbo style Legacy scoop. It's like a modest STI scoop, not too big, very little turbulance and a nice supply of air to a tmic! So if these scoops pan out, it'll build some dough to knock out the sideskirts...

I'm trying guys... it's just difficult getting subaru, custom and inexpensive all in the same sentance!
SuperRallyRoo
Third Gear

Post by SuperRallyRoo »

that scoop design thing is going to be for the early 91 ss only?
Legacyless
98 Jetta TDI
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Let me see a pic of that scoop, if it looks good, I'll sell that 03 wrx scoop I planned on putting on. It's sonic yellow.
Kickin' it old-school.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

I'm going to start a thread about the hoodscoop too, it's a small part, but it deserves it. ^^

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 370#240370
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

Pics? I'm interested.
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

well, I've yet to find any really good close up pics... I think there are a few on here that have em...
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

so whats happening no side skirts
come on
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

yazmo wrote:so whats happening no side skirts
come on
well, if there's any side skirts to be made, I'm going to have to do it... I'm working on a scoop as of now though... The guy that was going to do them, got deported back to Europe... So that's put a massive halt on things bodyshop wise.. I'm getting better at fiberglassing stuff though, so we'll see.

I need to get this pre-facelift tmic scoop going before I move to another larger project... Some sort of cashflow is needed for that big of a project, but trust me, I'm working on things!
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

if you need assistance to get this done quiker lets us help in some sort.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I'm not gonna pay $400+ for sideskirts, but I'd like to see what they look like :D
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

yazmo wrote:if you need assistance to get this done quiker lets us help in some sort.
Well, when it's time to make these, I guess we could find a pair of these side skirts to take molds from...

That's the hardest part, getting a good enough final part to make the mold from, I know, it's taken a lot of scoop making/remaking to be happy with a design/shape....
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Apex3 wrote:I'm not gonna pay $400+ for sideskirts, but I'd like to see what they look like :D
Yeah, I understand that, it's some good cashola, BUT they do tend to make our cars look pretty damned sharp.. And also, it'll keep road muck from dirtying up our cars... Giving us the option to make our cars dirty ONLY when we want to! And the only thing better than that is found in those sleazy dragon romance novels I read! hehe oops TMI?
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

make some for god sake :P
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

yazmo wrote:make some for god sake :P
lol, well one step at a time... I'd need a set of JDM skirts first... and I definitely dont have a set of those laying around. plus making the molds would cost a bit of dough too.. that's why I'm starting small on scoops first...

Plus I think there's more people wanting a good bolt on scoop rather than skirts..
yazmo
Third Gear

here the jdm skirts and lips that we need

Post by yazmo »

ask this guy he got the best one i have seen so far.

maybe its photoshop who know but that look slick