new to the board...

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

HiTempguy
In Neutral

new to the board...

Post by HiTempguy »

Hello all! I was directed here for some good information on the 1989-1994 Legacy. Lots of informative posts, always nice to find on a forum.

Now (I am a newb after all am I not?) here is my question:

Is it worthwhile to pick up a mechanically sound (compression numbers good, turbo good, drivetrain fine) and chassis-wise pretty decent (minor rust on rear fenderwells) 1993 Legacy turbo? The only issue with it is that it leaks oil from the valve covers, as well it has 366,000kms on it (230,000miles). Doing work on the car isn't an issue and it sounds like it has been taken care of pretty nicely for the past while. Thanks for the help guys.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Well, that depends on how much you'd be paying for it, right? :wink:

Mileage *usually* is not an issue with these cars if maintained well. The oil leak is probably a camshaft seal, they stop working around 200K. A quickie re-seal with a timing belt & water pump should keep her going for another 60K. I'd be most concerned with the condition of the CV joints and wheel bearings...
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

A leak from the valve covers is usually just the valve covers. About 10 minutes to fix and a couple new gaskets for the covers and the bolts. The trick is to barely tighten the valve cover bolts (IIRC, the spec is 6 ft/lbs.). They feel like they won't be tight enough to hold, but that seems to be what the grommets are for.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
HiTempguy
In Neutral

Post by HiTempguy »

Thanks for the quick replies guys! Drivers side cv-axle was recently replaced, I am sure that sooner rather then later the rest would need to be replaced as well. I have not gone and looked at the car yet. It would probably be in my possession if I had.

As for the price... how does $800 sound? :-D
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Is it auto or manual? If it's auto check for a flashing power light indicating transmission issues, slippage, or torque bind in the rear end.

A 5spd. would be best, they're easier to swap if they break and much simpler machines.
SUBARUEHS Racing
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

HiTempguy wrote:Thanks for the quick replies guys! Drivers side cv-axle was recently replaced, I am sure that sooner rather then later the rest would need to be replaced as well. I have not gone and looked at the car yet. It would probably be in my possession if I had.

As for the price... how does $800 sound? :-D
Ive been talking to the lady, and she does know the front bumber has been replaced and their is oil leaking from under the intake manifold (possible blow-by or something) She dosent want much but i woudnt go for it its pretty rusty ive seen it
FastRust
HiTempguy
In Neutral

Post by HiTempguy »

Thanks for the reply. In all honesty, I am more interested in the drivetrain then anything (even if it needs to be rebuilt).