Built 4eat

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subtle
Third Gear

Built 4eat

Post by Subtle »

By way of putting together a sticky, it's worth reviewing the aspects of hard launching an AWD with lots of torque and tires designed for outstanding traction. With all that hook up the challenge is to keep the engine from bogging down, or to keep from trashing the clutch and/or the gear box.

With 2WD some wheel spin is used to keep the engine on the power curve. This also reduces shocks to the drive train. An automatic with a high-stall torque converter does the equivalent. This is the first step in a "built" tranny.

Other steps in the build include hardening up on the internals of the tranny so that they can take the abuse. Higher line pressures with stronger solenoids actually add to the the life of bands. Another mod improves internal oil flow to enhance cooling.

Mine was done at www.ipttrans.com. Another builder is www.levelten.com

For years I've detested automatics and I thoroughly hated the one in the N/A wagon. The issue was that the tcu was slow or unpredictable in shifting down. Then when on a curve and trying to feather the throttle it would shift up out of the power band.

When I first got the twgn 4 years ago the shifting was less frustrating, which I attribute to closer ratios on the lower gears and more torque. Then with each increase in torque since, the lag on the down shift on WOT has diminished. Even when it doesn't shift down there is enough torque to accelerate or hold hills satisfactorily. No unnecessary shifting is good.

Moreover, under aggressive driving the results are outstanding.

From a stop with WOT the launch is impressive and no finesse with throttle or clutch is needed. Just stomp and with a 50/50 split on torque front and back, front wheel pull requires some dedicatation to steering. I have yet to do a braked power-on launch.

When going along at about 20mph and flooring it the tranny shifts down 2 gears with no lag from the tcu and then at about 6000 it cracks off each shift on the way up.

Each shift (up or down) is done faster than I could do with a manual AND it does not require lifting of the accelerator. :-D Boost stays up.

Additionally, there is an electronic shifter that over rides the tcu, with push buttons for 1, 2, 3, and 4. There is a toggle switch to control lock up. This electronic box has yet to be installed.

There are compromises. The converter with a stall at maybe 2700 rpm spends more time "spinning" than one with a stall at 1500 rpm. This increases fuel consumption and adds to heat generation, but when in lock up this ends. Ample cooling capacity is a plus. At light throttle the shifts go "clunk", but are slick and quick on WOT.

The negatives are minor and positives are trouble free and very easy launches with ease of driving in the streets, particularly in stop and go traffic.
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Write up on torque converters---- www.levelten.com/converters.htm
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

In June it will be two years since the "built" was installed. It's been a lot of fun. :-)

Still doing the same to it--when you want to go, particularly on the green light, it's smash the pedal and keep the steering wheel pointed in the right direction. :D

I'm starting to think about installing the manual shift controller, but don't want it on all the time. The wiring could be complicated.
Subtle
Third Gear

Change From High-Stall Torque Converter to Stock

Post by Subtle »

A couple of months ago, and in to Mr. Lube just for an oil-change, but the idiot drained the crank case and the front diff. And didn't re-fill the diff.

A new front diff was 2 grand, so I got the whole used tranny for $800. and had the front diff replaced.

Upon inspection, there was no wear in my tranny and while it was apart I had the stock converter installed. The launch is not nearly as dramatic :smt022, but I can live with it.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I wanted to show you my support. I too am a big fan of automatics for turbo cars. Many moons ago I spent tremendous energy defending the auto on Nasioc.

Although I forgot many of the details I have worked with a manual conversion for the 4eat. At one time I purchased 15-20 AWIC from a sand rail builder and he told me about it.

Like you I didnt want the manumatic mode active at all times so I used a printer sharing box (a two position switch with MANY wires) to choose between TCU and manual control.

The wiring for a continuous manual mode 4eat is REALLY simple (at least the quick and dirty way). Other than some crimp connectors and extra wire you dont even need extra parts to do it!

Eventually I too will have a car like yours :)
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Ciper

Thanks--I recall that you once posted an interesting way you launched your 4eat. :-) :-)
davidson 5139
First Gear

Post by davidson 5139 »

I agree with you. ive had manual awd cars and launching them was trublesome. i just bought a 91 legacy sport that needs alot of tlc that is a auto. I have big plans. i had a high horse talon that was all wheel drive and it sucked launching. it was almost like awd was worthless. i am a big fan of awd autos. i just thought i would show you my support.
91 5 speed SS. Greddy 3" Catless exhaust, Boost controller, TDO4, Intake, Equal Length Headers, TMIC, Wesico pistons, scat rods, Old School Wheels, Greddy Catch can
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I like Autos for turbo cars too.

A buddy of mine has a GMC Typhoon with a Bored/Stroked/cammed/ported/big turbo'd motor, FMIC, DFI, worked tranny & its launches are VIOLENT.

My SS is auto & I like it, just step on the gas & don't let off, it does not get any easier than that.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
davidson 5139
First Gear

Post by davidson 5139 »

Hell yea, I was going to convert my ss to a manual for simplicy reasons and less maintance but realized that the talon i had was a bitch to launch and only half of the time i could launch it right without burning the clutch or breaking something like, trans, axles, transfer case, etc..... With my ss its step on the gas and go.
91 5 speed SS. Greddy 3" Catless exhaust, Boost controller, TDO4, Intake, Equal Length Headers, TMIC, Wesico pistons, scat rods, Old School Wheels, Greddy Catch can
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I know what you mean, I had a GVR4.
Launching it was not hard (5500rpm fast slip with an ACT2600lb clutch), but could be messed-up easily & was not easy on the drivetrain.
My tranny had to come off 3 times in about a year, not fun @ all.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
davidson 5139
First Gear

Post by davidson 5139 »

Sounds like my talon. I just bought a 5 speed ss to be my daily driver and have my auto as my weekend toy. The 5 speed is fun too.
Subtle
Third Gear

Launch

Post by Subtle »

On the launch as well as going along slowly at about 30 klicks --I miss the high-stall converter. :cry:

It was so quick. :-D
Subtle
Third Gear

Turbo Wagon

Post by Subtle »

I've sold my Wagon.

It was time to move on and I told the speed shop that did a lot of the work that it was for sale.

One of the young guys has a hot 510 that was prepped out there and one drive and the transaction was done.

So no more posts on the "built" 4eat from me.
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

In January, I bought an 05 Legacy 2.5 Gt Wagon.

The 5eat is versatile with the normal drive programmed for economy.

In "Sport" each gear shifts at around 6000.

In "Manumatic" or whatever it's called the controller--either with the shifter or the buttons on the steering wheel is a good feature. For gearing down on trailing throttle the button will gear it down and then when underway again it is back in ordinary drive.

In Sport --the shifter must be used for shifting up or down. When accelerating it must be shifted up or the full-cut comes on with a sudden slowdown. :shock: Think I'll install a soft rev limiter.

However, whether in drive or "sport" when floored--the computer lags in shifting down. :cry:

The old "built" 4eat --when floored at slow speed would shift down two gears in an instant and jump :!:

And then, no matter what range the shifter was in--it would shift at 5800.

The 4eat with lots of torque works rather well. :-) :-)