The SLODRIVE '92 SS Build (Now with Dyno Sheet!)

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

If the IAC is getting stuck, you might run some brake cleaner through it.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Carb/Choke cleaner is MUCH safer than brake clean. You are aware that's being sucked into the intake manifild & then into the motor right???
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Last time i checked when you remove it, it's not connected to the car anymore. You kinda need it off to clean it well.

Sweet progject by the way.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

You can leave it installed on the car and use Carb/Choke cleaner.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
Impreza2.2T
In Neutral

Post by Impreza2.2T »

Very nice build. makes me jealous
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Well, the EJ22T IAC valve seems to be acting a little nicer so far...the idle settles down to about 1000-1050 RPM or so. We took it out on a back road and ran it up to about 6200 in 3rd gear. Boost stayed at 7-8 lbs, and AFR remained in the low-mid 11s. I just can't believe how hard this motor pulls on only 7 lbs. This car'll be a HOOT to drive with more boost!

Sooo...I whipped up a little bracket and mounted the MBC that's been floating around on top of my toolbox.

I also received an Evoscan cable in the mail yesterday. I haven't tried to use the software yet, because my poor laptop's on its way out. :( I'll have another one in a few days hopefully, so I can turn up the boost and log everything I can (especially the MAF) before I finally wire in the AEM piggyback and run a JECS MAF.

Either way, I'll report back after a drive with the MBC cranked up a bit... :twisted:
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
irelyea0014
In Neutral

Post by irelyea0014 »

SLODRIVE wrote:
At this point I'm using this TD04 from a USDM WRX ($50 on Craigslist) that seems to be in great shape. The oil feed line from the EJ20H's RH turbo fits perfectly, but I did have to swap the oil return pipe on the head for the EJ22T unit, which lines up with the TD04 perfectly. The turbo coolant lines are all plumbed up in these shots, up to where the coolant tank sits.
I need to do the same for my oil return..... HOW THE EFFFFF do I get the line out of the head? Is it pressed in? :x
1999 impreza 2.5RS 5 speed *daily driver*
1998 legacy 2.5GT wagon 5 speed *250,000 miles*
1991 legacy SS 4EAT *soon to be 20K powered and 5 speed swapped*
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

irelyea0014 wrote:I need to do the same for my oil return..... HOW THE EFFFFF do I get the line out of the head? Is it pressed in? :x
Hehehe...I ended up twisting the line off, then I welded a nut to it that threaded into my slide hammer. Piece of cake from there! :lol:
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Yes it's pressed in and under normal circumstances it never needs to be removed.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
irelyea0014
In Neutral

Post by irelyea0014 »

so saving a used one is basically not an option? did you buy a new one from the dealer?
1999 impreza 2.5RS 5 speed *daily driver*
1998 legacy 2.5GT wagon 5 speed *250,000 miles*
1991 legacy SS 4EAT *soon to be 20K powered and 5 speed swapped*
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

If it comes out clean you can most likely epoxy it back in with no consequences.

I don't know if it has a dealer part number.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Quick update...

We went out for a drive with the MBC installed. With the MBC at the default setting, the boost is now at about 10-10.5 lbs. We ran it like this up to 6300rpms in 3rd gear...whoo boy!

Boost held steady the whole time, and A/F was staying in the mid-low 11s at WOT. The EJ22T ECU is doing a pretty good job so far handling this motor under full throttle, but it's still somewhat rich at part-throttle acceleration. The next time out, I'll shoot for 13 lbs and see if the MAF maxes out. That's the maximum boost I'll run until I finally wire in the piggyback...which is waiting for me to buy/find/make an extension harness for the ECU (not because I have to, I just don't want to hack that many wires under the dash.). If I can't get the car to pass an emissions test as is (which it may well not), that means no license plates until I get a lot more wiring done. More to come...[/u]
-And more!
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Hey Haven't I seen your car a Super Rupair??!! Nice swap! on your coil pack mounts can you or would you consider making some and selling them? my g swap is using the 2.2 coil pack but the mount is funky.
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Wow nice, so without a piggyback it runs with those AFR's? Cool build man. I'm excited to see what it can do once you really tune it.
Yeah the emissions test is going to suck for me too. I don't know how I'm going to pass lol.
-Doug Wilson
mlitz123
First Gear

Post by mlitz123 »

so i was looking at that F/IC you bought and it looks like they have not tested it on any subarus, and it also looks like it was only tested on OBDII vehicals. are you afraid of any thing? like it might not work? i have read alot of stuff on the PP6, that it was ment to be used on OBDII vehicals and on the OBDI subarus it was causing bucking and surging. was wondering if you have seen this work on one of our subarus before?
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

91legacyawdturbo wrote:Hey Haven't I seen your car a Super Rupair??!! Nice swap! on your coil pack mounts can you or would you consider making some and selling them? my g swap is using the 2.2 coil pack but the mount is funky.
The car's PO was en ex-employee of Super Rupair, so I'm sure it had been there. I don't think my coil bracket would bolt to a 20G intake, but if you ever come to Lomgmont I'll see what I can do.
mlitz123 wrote:so i was looking at that F/IC you bought and it looks like they have not tested it on any subarus, and it also looks like it was only tested on OBDII vehicals. are you afraid of any thing? like it might not work? i have read alot of stuff on the PP6, that it was ment to be used on OBDII vehicals and on the OBDI subarus it was causing bucking and surging. was wondering if you have seen this work on one of our subarus before?
I spent a fair amount of time looking at all 3 piggybacks before I bought the F/IC. I wasn't too impressed with the PP6s capabilities, and Greddy products seem like junk from what I've seen, while AEM has done pretty well with their EM products. I actually called AEM before to ask them about using the F/IC with an old Subie, and they had no idea, as far as they knew nobody had tried yet. However, they couldn't tell me why it wouldn't work, so I thought I'd be the first. I got a great deal on it anyway, so if things don't work out I'll just remove it and sell the thing. (I think it'll work fine though)
-And more!
mlitz123
First Gear

Post by mlitz123 »

cool thanks, i m excited to see what happens... whats your time frame on getting that installed?
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Hee hee, my time frame's a bit messed up right now...I should have been working on the body and the piggyback by now, but I broke my collarbone into a few pieces a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be working under the dash...and able to shift too, dammit!
-And more!
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

Well it's good to see it's in better hands I thought it was funny seeing the sun roof deflector on the hood, I'll see when I could drive up to longmont next I just have my coils mounted on the ac/alternator mount it's kinda hard to find a proper wireset to reach I don't like miss match wires thou they're 7mm.
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Alright...my shoulder's feeling a little better...back to work!

While I was down, I ordered an Evoscan cable and the software. We have most of it working, except for a couple of sensors that give crazy readings. Hopefully we'll get it worked out.

I also found another cool item on the internet...check it out. 8)

I found it at Autosport Wiring ( http://www.autosportwiring.com ) for $159 plus shipping. It's very nicely made, with lots of epoxy at the dummy ECU end. It wasn't cheap, but was worth it for sure. Soldering under the dash just plain sucks ass.

I got out the F/IC manual, the Subaru wiring diagram, sone soldering stuff, and started merging the AEM harness to the ECM jumper. Since I can't find any evidence of anyone ever trying to wire one of these to an older Subaru, I'm on my own, so I plan on taking my time. The AEM F/IC harness is a bit scary at first, with 46 wires staring at you. A lot of the wires weren't applicable to the Legacy (hall-effect hookups, 2nd cam and o2 sensor hookups, etc.), so once I eliminated them, there were about 25 wires, and I'll probably only use 22 of those.

First, I teed in the power and ground wires, as well as the TPS sensor wire. Liquid electrical tape is a great thing to have at this point!
Just to see if the F/IC would even operate with the OBD1 crank/cam sensors, and to calibrate the computer, I cut and intercepted the cam and crank sensor wires.
That's all I'm going to wire up until I plug it in and find out if the car still runs the same as before, which it should if the F/IC doesn't mess up the cam or crank signals. At least it'll only take me a few minutes to find out at this point. I'll be back after I plug it in, drive around and fiddle with the lap-top (not all at the same time, lol). If all goes well, I'll continue on and wire in the injectors, the MAF, the wideband, and connect it to the MAP sensor to use as a very adjustable FCD.
-And more!
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Damn, this is getting interesting! I'm riding on the heels of your build to see if I go this route for my build or not. Thanks for being a pioneer, or a guinee pig as the case my be. 8)
Jason
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Shoot, nice find with the ECU patch harness! I'll definitely be going that route once I figure out what I'm doing for EM.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

Nice find indeed! I was dreading the thought of hacking into my stock harness. Which one did you buy? The only 90-94 Legacy harness is for EJ20G, does that fit the EJ22T ECU?

This thread has given me so much inspiration. Slodrive you are full of innovation. We should get together some day and see what we can create... I've had an idea for a double wishbone suspension setup.
-Doug Wilson
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah, it's the same harness.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

It's also the EVO 7 harness adapter if those are easier to find.

I prefer qulaity crimp connectors to solder, but very nice work so far.