What wire does the boost controller go to?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

What wire does the boost controller go to?

Post by Apex3 »

Hate to keep asking these stupid questions, but I'd rather do this than screw something up. My turbo timer has a boost controller as well, the timer is all hooked up, but I have a single wire to hook up for the boost controller, and also the vacuum hose, but I'm not sure where to put the wire to. I would think it would be the same wire for any controller?

I don't have the instructions, and can't find a website, if I did/could I probably wouldn't be asking.
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

Which turbo timer/boost controller is it? If you hook a voltmeter to the wire, does it produce a current or not?
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I'll have to go check. It's a Swoosh Turbo timer/Boost controller, no one seems to be able to find a website for them...Otherwise I'd email them or something. I'll check a little later to see if there's a current. I just got my wisdom teeth out this morning, so don't really feel like getting up for very long.

And just to make it clear, this is in no way urgent, I'm just bored, and trying to get a start on this, and get an idea
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

Which model do you have because I can only find models with an electronic boost gauge and not boost controller. Sorry about having your teeth pulled, I only had one wisdom tooth pulled and never got the pain medication. Should have got it and sold it :twisted:
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
06 ZZR600
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

There's no serial number on it...Here's a picture, the only other marking is it has the swoosh logo on top

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I cant for the life of me figure out how this thing could control boost with 1 electical connection and 1 vacume line.

The only thing I can deduce is that you are missing some parts. The wire could be a trigger for a solenoid which would then seperately cycle to produce the desired boost. I think the 1 vacume line is an input or a monotoring line so the unit can read what the pressure is and adjust the "pulses" to the output wire to trigger a solenoid.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

magicmike wrote:I cant for the life of me figure out how this thing could control boost with 1 electical connection and 1 vacume line.

The only thing I can deduce is that you are missing some parts. The wire could be a trigger for a solenoid which would then seperately cycle to produce the desired boost. I think the 1 vacume line is an input or a monotoring line so the unit can read what the pressure is and adjust the "pulses" to the output wire to trigger a solenoid.
Hmm, I just assumed that the other wires that were needed were already hooked up through the turbo timer, and the vacuum line was for the boost gauge that it also has.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

If there weren't any other parts with it, then it sounds like it's just a boost gauge, not a boost controller. As mike said, there'd be no way to control boost with one wire and no solenoid to hook it up to.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

asc_up wrote:If there weren't any other parts with it, then it sounds like it's just a boost gauge, not a boost controller. As mike said, there'd be no way to control boost with one wire and no solenoid to hook it up to.
Actually now that you mention it, it might be... :? I was told it was a boost controller, and the word boost on the front made me assume it was I guess. No big deal, I didn't pay for it.

The only thing is you can adjust the boost on the thing, you think that's just for the auto setting for the timer?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Oh well if you can adjust the boost with it, then it's definitely some sort of controller, but there would have to be a solenoid for it to hook up to. I have no idea what wire it would hook up to on the stock boost control solenoid. Maybe to the Wastegate Control wire off the ECU? I'm not sure, so wait for someone to chime in.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

I read on some of those turbo timer controllers with an electronically boost gauge. It might just be a warning if you go past a certain pressure it would buzz at you.
06 ZZR600
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Skruyd wrote:I read on some of those turbo timer controllers with an electronically boost gauge. It might just be a warning if you go past a certain pressure it would buzz at you.
Hmm, that's possible, it was set at 55psi, lol, I guess I can hook up the vacuum hose and find out, I read there's usually an extra wire anyway for the timers, something for alarms or something like that, where it won't effect the use, that could be what the wire is.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I'd be willing to bet that the hose is (obviously) for measuring boost and that the extra wire is (maybe) supposed to be connected to a dimmer wire.
-Aaron

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Per Google. Read through the product "hype" and you'll see that it's just a boost gauge with a warning light:

The Swoosh MATB works as a digital turbo timer and electronic boost gauge, giving you two great features in one unit. Manufactured by Swoosh for maxspeed-motorsports these units go trough strict quality control and testing to ensure that you receive a high quality product that will work for years to come.

This unit is a must have for performance enthusiasts. Not only is a timer a great add-on to extend turbo life but with the electronic boost gauge you can monitor boost pressure to protect your engine against mechanical failure, too much boost can easily cause engine damage.

Digital Turbo Timer

Timer can be set to work anywhere between 30 to 120 seconds. They are three modes of operation that can be used, Manual Mode/Auto Mode/Off.

Manual Mode: you control the time of operation.
Auto Mode: Timer automatically detects travel time and sets timer accordingly.
Off: Timer will not operate.

Timer has audible sounds to alert the driver. Audible sounds can be set off if wanted.

Electronic Boost gauge with external warning light

This built-in electronic boost gauge will read the boost pressure. Lets you set alerts to warn you if over boosting, lets you record boost peak value. An external warning light is included for visual alerts when over boosting. Boost pressure values that this unit will read -1.3KG~+2.3KG / -18.5PSI~+32.5PSI.
SUBARUEHS Racing