Kinda dissapointed.

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Skruyd
Second Gear

Kinda dissapointed.

Post by Skruyd »

Well, for the past two days I've been fixing the Subi. Found out my crank shaft seal and oil pump gasket was leaking. The seal was because the heat ring came off while installing the pump and the gasket was leaking because I didn't use RTV on the block side.

Changed the oil, put a tighter spring in my boost controller, and richen the mix a bit to be on the safe side. Went for a couple 3rd gear pulls, and find out the MAF maxed out at 5000 rpm's with 5.1 volt. So I put the Jecs in and it fixed that problem.

Later on last night I went with a friend and hooked his Wide Band up to the car. Found out one of my injectors is acting up a tad bit, but was able to tune the car still. Have cruise set at 14.7 and full throttle at 12.5. I have a flat spot tho at around 4500-5000 rpm. So I'm hoping the 255lph will fix that when it comes in.

Any who the disappointment is because I felt that I gained nothing. I put boost at 13psi, 5 psi higher than what I originally haved it at, and it spikes at 17psi. I feel like taking the hose off the wastegate and run the turbo till it kicks back.

The good thing about all this tho is at least I know my AFR is good and my motor isn't going to throw a rod.

Oh, and the co-worker with the Si didn't show at the track. I really wanted to have fun with that little car.
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
92 Toyota Corolla (fixing then selling)
06 ZZR600
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

i dont think i'll be much help but for the hell of it i'll chime in my 2 cents.

i had my car at 12 psi for a while since its supposedly the highest boost you can run on the stock car and td04 with intercooler and exhaust blah blah blah.

i then got a meth injection kit because i didnt want to detonate and wanted to up the boost to 15 psi.

i mostly just ran water in the spray cuz it s freee.

i then ran the car for close to a year with stock injectors stock maf td-04 wrx intercooler and water with a bit of meth being injected as of 10 psi. not the best setup but never had any problems.

anyways the point of me saying this is the jump from 8 or 9 psi to 12 was barely noticeable compared to the jump from 12 to 15psi. but then now i'm running the revtronix chip so i'm doing in normal mode 15 psi and in power mode 17 psi and the jump from 15 psi to 17 was even more noticeable than the jump from 12 to 15.

and it gives a nice kick in the back.

oh and dont unhook the wastegate line it'll jump past 20 psi in the blink of an eye and you could easily blow something.
and isnt 12.5 a bit lean? revtronix tunes to 11.4 or something...

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

We tuned for 12.5 because the SAFC was maxed out pretty much around 4500-5000. Just wanted a more consistent fuel delivery instead of a lot now then a little then more again. Still waiting for the pump to come in and get a fuel regulator.

I already had the hose off of it before. It was mainly because I thought that was the way to run wastegate pressure. Found out it wasn't :shock:. It honestly felt awesome until fuel cut kicked in. Started to go through withdraw :cry:

But yea, I might give the turbo a go with out a wastegate for a while. At least if it blows I'll be more tempted to get an 18g :twisted:
91 Subaru Legacy SS (Driving) 3"TBE, Vrg FCD, 440cc, HKS Safc, Vf10, ebay FMIC, Jecs
06 ZZR600
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

12.5 is a little bit risky (at least for my taste)

If used to tune my SS to around 12:1 or so...just to be on the safe side

Your lack of power could be from knock sensor...either you have some knocking going on or the sensor is bad. When it goes bad/senses knock, it pulls an asston of timing and makes the car run shittay
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

I'll hook the Evoscan up to the car when I got the chance to use the laptop to see what the timing is looking like. I mounted my knock sensor a little higher tho. Pretty much where the engine and trans mount together.
06 ZZR600
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

Skruyd wrote:I might give the turbo a go with out a wastegate for a while. At least if it blows I'll be more tempted to get an 18g :twisted:
haha you're ballsy... just watch out cuz it might not be the turbo that blows it might be a piston or a headgasket or a rod...

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

Hmmmm, very true. I trust my rebuild. If anything I think the headgasket will let loose first, but we will see.

The walbro came in today so it's installed. Let the fun begin :twisted:
06 ZZR600
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i know its old, but updates please
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

What would you like an update on??

The HKS SFAC for some reason went in to 8 cylinder mode. So I disconnected it for the time being. The walbro is installed and now I smell gas in the car. Haven't been able to find out why yet. It only smells for like a few minutes some time and other times it don't. Haven't pulled the wastegate hose off yet because my license been suspended for 6 months. So this is the only car I can drive for the time being till I find out how much sr-22 is for the bike. Sr-22 for the car is $67 liability so I'm content with that. Other than that, I don't know what else to say. If you want I can make a one time pull and video tape it. Being that it might end up being a one and last time the car will run :-D

LOL I said video tape.... Who does that anymore?? ::raises hand:: :-D
06 ZZR600
Skruyd
Second Gear

Post by Skruyd »

No more Updates. I traded the Leggy for an MR2 MK1. I gave my friend the better deal but he knows nothing of the platform or how to fix what I modded. But I'll still be hanging around XD. Only traded because of moving to Cali in a few months, it has no modifications done to it, and I always wanted one of them XD
06 ZZR600