HELP! Transmission/Clutch Burning Question!! Car is in the s

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Florin1
Fourth Gear

HELP! Transmission/Clutch Burning Question!! Car is in the s

Post by Florin1 »

Help! Got the car in the shop on the lift doing my clutch. Just finish taking everything off and it 11pm so bare with me, but i need my questions answered by noon tomorrow because i only have the shop till 3pm. First i need to know if my new transmission i want to put in will work. Here is the link to the trans info http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=42848 I was told this trans will work but now that i have both transmissions side by side my question is that the clutch fork hydrolic piston are located differently. On my trans its located on the side (pull style?) and on the new trans its located on top of the bellhousing (push type?). I know the ratio will work but what about the fork deal? My new clutch is an exedy ksb03 for wrx. Will i be able to make the trans work, or do i need to order a push clutch?

old trans

New trans
The new trans code is "hd-ty754vcaaa"
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

My other burning question is, i bought a new rear main seal because my car leaks bad, but now that i have the flywheel off it doesnt look like its leaking from there at all. Looks like its leaking from this yellow cover to the right of the seal. What is this cover and is it just a gasket i will need from the dealer? And will it be in stock?? Thanks guys. Image
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Not sure what to recommend on the tranny, but I would assume you should stick to the style of the original tranny what is wrong with the original one anyways?

That cover on that back is just RTV'd on. Usually it is replaced with a aluminum part because of reasons I am not well aware of lol. I think the plastic ones crack.

Ill get you a link with part numbers for that rear seperator plate.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Thank you sir. I'm so glad someone is still on haha. The reason i was replacing the trans is because my number 2 gear syncro is going out. It grinds, and pops out of 2nd gear when tranny is cold and i coast in gear, so i figured i would put this trans in since it only has like 60K. Mine has 220K
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

If you go with the updated part number for the oil separator plate (aluminum), you'll need the hex-headed screws that go with that, reusing the old ones make it not have a good seal.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Few links. Regarding oil seperator

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... ator+plate

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... ator+plate

Don't know alot about 5spd, but stock its a hydraulic system right doesn't use a cable? Maybe it could work. Do you have a matching flywheel ?
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

they are both hydraulic trans, it just looks like the piston is pushing the fork on the new one, but on my old trans there is a rod going trough the fork that makes it pivot on the rod, which in turns gives it that "reverse" pull action...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Oh I almost forgot, if I do end up reusing my old trans, what oil should I put in it that will help with the syncros grinding and the other issues? I ended up draining it thinking I wouldn't use it.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

I think if you have the right clutch for the new trans, you can just hook your hydraulic lines up it will work. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I know some have done this before, but this is something I would have investigated further before removing the trans! I believe what's usually done is just repipe the clutch lines to slave cyl. that's on the new trans and bleed the system as usual. It may not be ideal, but it will get you out of the garage and give you time to fix it correctly (i.e., if you needed a new MC or something).

That trans does effect the style of clutch you use though.... That trans uses a push style clutch while the ss uses a pull. I apologize, I thought this was covered already.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

do 90-94 2.2 have a plastic oil separator plate. (sorry no question mark on this laptop). i am wondering because my friends '94 legacy L has what i thought to be a massive leak from the rear main. appreciate the input!
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

New from the factory it would have had the plastic piece.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

How did you make out ? I am sure you could try installing the tranny with the clutch and flywheel suitable for that transmission.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you go with the push style trans, you'll need a different clutch & pp to match. You'll also need the push style slave cylinder too.

Other than that....I "think" it would work...as long as the final drive is same.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Well i'm all finished. Man WHAT a PITA that was. Car runs again, used my old trans (anybody want to buy a low mileage push style tranny?) I replaced rear main, and oil separator. There is still a leak! GRRRR >:(
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I wouldn't have touched the rear main they are a real pain in the ass to make them seal properly! Still seems like the rear of the engine is leaking?
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
kbeefy
First Gear

Re: HELP! Transmission/Clutch Burning Question!! Car is in t

Post by kbeefy »

Not that big of a deal, but I think you might have your clutch styles mixed up.

The slave on top of the tranny, pushing the fork to disengage the clutch, is a 'Pull" style clutch. It doesn't have to do with the Slave or the fork, it's where the fork engages the T/O bearing/Pressure plate. In the above style the forces change direction @ the pivot and the fork 'pulls' the pressure plate off the clutch disc.

Florin, was this tranny work done on your 94 SS? I thought all the SS cars had a pull type tranny (as I described) with the slave on the top. I'm pretty sure those are the only tranny's Subaru ever produced w/ 3.9 gears. Be careful when swapping transmisions to make sure your gear ratios match the rear end.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
'87 Mustang GT roadracer, to many mods to list
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

kbeefy wrote:Not that big of a deal, but I think you might have your clutch styles mixed up.

The slave on top of the tranny, pushing the fork to disengage the clutch, is a 'Pull" style clutch. It doesn't have to do with the Slave or the fork, it's where the fork engages the T/O bearing/Pressure plate. In the above style the forces change direction @ the pivot and the fork 'pulls' the pressure plate off the clutch disc.

Florin, was this tranny work done on your 94 SS? I thought all the SS cars had a pull type tranny (as I described) with the slave on the top. I'm pretty sure those are the only tranny's Subaru ever produced w/ 3.9 gears. Be careful when swapping transmisions to make sure your gear ratios match the rear end.
No it was the original trans. I may have not been clear. I was trying to use this new trans, that i got from my friend, since it was super low mileage. I couldn't however because my new clutch was ordered for a wrx pull type clutch. Its no big deal, i just used my old trans.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Re:

Post by Florin1 »

ericem wrote:I wouldn't have touched the rear main they are a real pain in the ass to make them seal properly! Still seems like the rear of the engine is leaking?
After further inspection, it is not leaking from the rear main, or the oil separator cover. :D Its now leaking from my valve covers. Weird part is that those are new...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

phewwww lol well did you replace the grommets for the valve covers? I remeember when I did my valve covers I just kept turning the bolts till snug and I haven't have leak issues with both my motors.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
Humanzee
In Neutral

Re:

Post by Humanzee »

Florin1 wrote:anybody want to buy a low mileage push style tranny? (
Maybe, we have a'93 ss turbo in need of trans, Ill try to get a look and see where our slave cyl is.
'93 SS Turbo
'90 L SW drove it into the ground now its dead and gone.
other:'00 A4 1.8t, 02 A6 3.0 Avant
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

ericem wrote:phewwww lol well did you replace the grommets for the valve covers? I remeember when I did my valve covers I just kept turning the bolts till snug and I haven't have leak issues with both my motors.
grommets on the 3 bolts that hold the cover on? No. And as for snugging up the covers, i did more than snug.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Re: Re:

Post by Florin1 »

Humanzee wrote:
Florin1 wrote:anybody want to buy a low mileage push style tranny? (
Maybe, we have a'93 ss turbo in need of trans, Ill try to get a look and see where our slave cyl is.
I also have a 90-94 N/A trans also... 5spd. Just PM me
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Humanzee
In Neutral

Post by Humanzee »

Um I think we need the pull style. It looks like the slave cylinder is on the top of our trans and pushes toward the front of the car on the fork. As kbeefy was pointing out, I think this is a pull style. From your picture, it looks like though your slave is on the top of the transmission, it pushes towards the back of the car. I guess we'll pass as we'd not like to get the different clutch and pp as Josh said.
'93 SS Turbo
Humanzee
In Neutral

Post by Humanzee »

Oh, by the way, where on the case do you find the trans coding, and where do you look it up to figure out what it is.
'93 SS Turbo
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

TY# on the driver's side bellhousing, usually ~above the starter. Gear hack has a decently compiled tranny chart, North Ursula also.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79