02 readings all over the place, super-crappy mileage

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

snowcat
In Neutral

02 readings all over the place, super-crappy mileage

Post by snowcat »

In this post:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=552

Morgie says "if you have a volt meter you can test the O2 sensor wire while driving. At closed loop your readings will fluctuate between .01 and 1 volt. When in open loop, your reading should stay ALOT steadier . . . maybe within .08 and 1 volt." (in reference to n/a engine.)

- I have vrg3's scantool, and I NEVER get a steady reading b/w .08 and 1 v, nor do I ever get steady-ish readings around stoichio, .45v. I have a 94 ej22t turbo wagon and I'm always all over the board. Change 02 sens several times, including once when lost wire connections and killed sensor. Coolant temp sensor replaced w/j.y. salvage, but tested ok as far as resistance range.

I get super crappy gas mileage, which has just gotten worse, possibly after using berryman's b12 additive. A chemist told me it was the shit, now I'm starting to wonder.

Anyway, there's a good poss. that my cat is toast after losing my 02 sensor, but my big question is wtf is going on w/my 02 readings? Is my car in limp home strategy? Also, my car keeps throwing a 51 neutral sensor switch code. Would that come into the mix as far as closed/open loop and crappy mileage?

Any help would be appreciated!
4 wheel drive, yes! 4" clearance under the chassis, oh no!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 02 readings all over the place, super-crappy mileage

Post by Legacy777 »

Your O2 readings will always fluctuate. Looking at a narrow band O2 sensor output really won't tell you anything.

If you have a lot of miles on the O2 sensor it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Re: 02 readings all over the place, super-crappy mileage

Post by n2x4 »

Check your knock sensor as well - if it's cracked it will be hurting performance.
SUBARUEHS Racing