Grimmspeed Exhaust products ?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Justins91ss

Grimmspeed Exhaust products ?

Post by Justins91ss »

Email&called them, they said they were "unsure" if thry would fit on a legacy turbo, was seeing if anyone has used their products? Am looking to get the ported stock headers ceramic coated and the crosspipe ported ceramic coated with the uppipe as well.. Then a 3inch downpipe.. Sry its pretty much my first post :) had to fly up from vegas to seattle area to pick the car up have put over a grand in maintenence parts and would like to free up a few hp and keep temps down a lil since it gets super hot in vegas. Thanks in advance..
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Grimmspeed Exhaust products ?

Post by cj91legss »

also i recommend exhaust wrapping from DEI w/ their sillicone spray
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Justins91ss

Post by Justins91ss »

Have had bad luck in the past with exhaust wrap, you have to be amazing at wrapping it evenly or else you will get "hotspots" and it will crack from what ive heard. Happend on my friends evo. Thanks for the help though i appreaciate it :)
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

I have a 91 SS with factory 5-speed. I put on JVT's one piece stainless header and up-pipe and threw the stock one in the trash. I wrapped it with the copper wrap and sprayed it, also used their nice stainless wraps. I put a blanket on the turbo too. That was in 2008...I drive this car every day, and I have not had anything go wrong with it yet (knock on wood), and I believe that the wrap and spray was probably the best thing I had ever done to it. If you take your time and wrap it right--completely, you will notice a huge power increase. I don't even have anything aftermarket past the turbo and it drove like a bat out of hell after I installed that header. The car almost seemed to double in horsepower...at least, seat of the pants performance. So I would not use a factory pipe even if it did have some work done to it...just not cost effective and there's no way to get the same performance gains as a good set of quality stainless headers. Just my take on the situation.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Justins91ss wrote:Have had bad luck in the past with exhaust wrap, you have to be amazing at wrapping it evenly or else you will get "hotspots" and it will crack from what ive heard. Happend on my friends evo. Thanks for the help though i appreaciate it :)
Was it a stock cast iron manifold? I've heard it can crack aftermarket thin stainless piping but that you should be fine if it's cast iron.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Justins91ss

Post by Justins91ss »

Stainless steel, on my wrx for example. I had gt spec coated uppipe/header with invidia 3 dv dp, with a kakimoto titanium catback and it was super loud, and evn with a tune i lost AlOT of low end tq from the header alone, so i went with grimmspeed stock port/polish coated header and it ran better and the powerband was back.. I honestly havent found any companies that make aftermarket headers/uppipe/downpipe.. So ive head and read on here that the wrx/sti dp will bolt up so that problems solved for me.. Just would like to find a bolt on uppipe and header then wrap or get it coated.. Ill google the header to see if they still make it thanks alot for ur help guys..
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah the after market headers are not desirable on turbo subarus. They have larger piping thus reducing exhaust gas velocity and hurting spool up. Ported and polished stock header would probably help a little bit but I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't able to tell the difference.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Justins91ss

Post by Justins91ss »

Figure for $300-400ish its not A bad upgrade, it should flow a lil more... If nothing else help with temps... Oh btw i had a td04 then upgraded to a ported/clipped 16g and tried the header before and after on both setups.. Im just going by my own personal experience.. I honestly dunno if it will even bolt up..
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

If you're in bellevue I would suggest just taking a stock header over to Performance Coatings and having them coat it inside and out. It would only cost probably $150 and they did a really nice coating on my downpipe. I think the coating I had them do was called grey ice. It's not on their website. It looks like it's been powder coated. It's working pretty good too.

http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html

I sent my turbo hot side in to grimmspeed to get it coated because I didn't feel like taking another trip up to performance coatings and their ceramic coating doesn't look nearly as good as performance coatings. It looks like it's just been spray painted in comparison. How well it works in comparison I'm not sure because I wrapped my turbo in a heat blanket.

Here's before and after with grimmspeed coating.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Actually after taking a second look, it may have been the Satin Gray Ice that I chose, which is on the website. When you think Satin you think flat and this is not flat at all.
Justins91ss

Post by Justins91ss »

Yeah im familiar with performance coatings, there next to my friends shop blood enterprise in auburn. Thry have buil/worked on the majority of my other cars.. Id gladly take off my stock header/crosspipe/uppipe and have them put in work on it BUT its mine and my wifes dd up here until were finished with family stuff.. Was going to buy stock exhaust parts off of a local guy then never heard back from him... Which s why i was tempted to ordee from grimmspeed and just send them back my stock parts after they or performance coatings did work on them.. Thanks alot for the help and the pics..