Temp Gauge Help!!!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

drewriviera
First Gear

Temp Gauge Help!!!

Post by drewriviera »

I was putting my gauge cluster back together today and there are 3 screws in behind the temp gauge...I accidently took them out, and when I reinstalled them, the temp gauge now actually goes all the way hot and stays there. I can't figure this out, because if you take these screws out they obviously have nothing to do with any kind of adjustment to the temp gauge. When you cut the key off, the needle goes back down like normal and zeroes out though. If you leave these screws out the temp gauge does not work at all. Also, the light seems dim on this side of the cluster as well however the bulb is not blown. Of all things, my turn signals and the corresponding lights in the cluster do not work now too! I can't find anything about this in my factory service manuals. It completely skips over any listing of what the screws are for. Could anyone help?
Thanks in advance!!!
-Andrew
drewriviera
First Gear

Re: Temp Gauge Help!!!

Post by drewriviera »

Ok, got everything working now except for the left side of the dash is kind of dim still, and the temp gauge is still going haywire...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There is a sort of funky wiring in there for the dash temp gauge. Only thing I can think of one of the wires came loose when you unscrewed it. However I haven't taken one apart to see how it's setup.

Other possibility is that a solder joint on the circuitboard is bad and causing your problems with the temp gauge and dim lights. Taking it apart may have just made it worse.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Yeah that was what I was thinking too...I have a used gauge cluster on the way to test if maybe I broke something on the cluster or if it's the wiring. Pretty soon I will find out! Hate to have the Sube sitting there so long!!! I have Sti's to take care of!
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

So...I fixed it. All of these problems were literally from the top screw in the back of the temp gauge being stripped out! Whatever you do people, do not tighten one of these screws too tight! I had a HUGE ground problem with the battery draining and other stuff before I figured it out. I eventually merged a 94 cluster with my original. Just swapped out the temp and fuel gauge from the 94. You do have to use the face plate too, since you can't seperate it or the temp and fuel gauges. Some of the lights are in different spots, but if you have an ABS and automatic seat belt light delete anyway, then the 94 faceplate will work fine!!! Just fyi