Increase fuel economy

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

duffrey93
In Neutral

Increase fuel economy

Post by duffrey93 »

Hey guys not sure if this is the right category but I'm just curious to find ways to improve economy in my 94 touring wagon. I know the turbos are gas hogs but are there any simple ways to increase mpg other than selling it?
I had a couple ideas.
One what would happen if I threw in the awd fuse? It is a 4eat. Is there anything bad that might happen?
Then two what if I were to install a Mbc and turn the boost down.
Tell me what you guys think.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Increase fuel economy

Post by evolutionmovement »

Besides aerodynamic modifications, and I hate to say this, but the best thing to do is slow down and keep the minimum amount of accelerator pedal you need to maintain speed on the highway. I don't think the fuse will do anything to help as you're still dragging the rest of that drivetrain around anyway. You shouldn't be making maximum boost at cruise, which is what you want to do to save gas, so turning it down shouldn't help unless you really want to keep it down, but that will also really limit your power when you want it.

I really wish it were legal to replace damn side view mirrors with cameras as that should be a nice reduction in drag.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've been told you will burn up your Duty C solenoid in your tranny if you drive around in FWD mode on an AWD 4EAT.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I am thinking the performance of the HLA's affect fuel economy. I honestly remember my other EJ22T got NO less then 375km to 52L. This motor I have now (swapped it to another EJ22T no reason really) the best I have gotten was 450km to 50+L ALL highway. Honestly this motor seems sluggish alot of times. Tomorrow I am going to try some engine flush, and some new oil and report with next tanks fuel economy.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

There are natural production variances in engines, too. Duchess with the old N/A engine was about as quick as a stock turbo and got 25 mpg driving like an asshole and doing nothing but changing the oil every 7500 miles. On my GLs, my auto wagon felt pretty powerful (as far as 73 HP and 90 lbs./ft. can), while my lighter 5-speed sedan never felt as strong and was slower at higher speeds (comparing top gear in the wagon to 4th in the sedan, which were the same ratios). I didnt track mileage then, so I can't compare them for that. Sometimes you get a ringer, sometimes you don't.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

If you had a n/a that felt as fast as the turbo that's amazing.
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
legacySSman
In Neutral

Post by legacySSman »

Does anyone know if replacing the stock 19 year old vf11 trubo with 122k with a td04 will help boost gas mileage a little?
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I am pretty sure it will since it makes the same power at 5psi with the td04 as the vf11 at 9psi. So technically it will run leaner. The car is already tuned pretty rich + the air coming out of the td04 will be cooler allowing the timing to advance and run leaner. Also on the highway I find the vf11 stays in boost when going past a certain speed like 140km/h so I waste alot of gas if I want to travel at higher speeds for a long period....
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
porkchop
First Gear

Post by porkchop »

Anyone find that the SS 5MT uses a little bit less fuel if you go a nudge faster? This past tank I cruised at around 115-120 compared to my usual 100km/h, and it seemed the car was working about as hard as at 100kmh, but seemed to use same or less fuel.

also, drafting transport trucks helps.. especially with wind noise!
'92 Legacy SS 5mt
'91 Tercel, soon to be 4E-FTE powered.
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

I'm surprised your turbo would be spooled just cruising at highway speeds. What RPM and speed are you cruising at?
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
porkchop
First Gear

Post by porkchop »

turbo doesn't spool unless you are trying to go 135+kmh, so like 80mph? then it's constantly pushing 3-4psi?
'92 Legacy SS 5mt
'91 Tercel, soon to be 4E-FTE powered.
Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

I just noticed ericem said 140KPH, that's over 80MPH, that's your problem lol! Try cruising 120KPH, you'll get much better mileage.
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

You can find a td04 with a lot less miles for a good price. I paid 150 for a ts04 with 20k