Power Q's

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Power Q's

Post by Tommio RS »

Hi everyone!

Im just chucking this out there because i want to see what peoples idea's would be with this setup.

AEM FIC piggyback ECU
550CC yellowtops injectors
VF39
AWIC
TBE
EWG
JECS maf.... maybe?

Im thinking i could get to the ground like....

220-240WHP
240-260WTQ

Im i TOO high?

I really just wanna beat stock wrx's and sti's!

Any thoughts?
93 Legacy Turbo AT Sliver Stock, Ultra Rotty Body
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
95 Chevy Corvette MT ZR-1 Black X Brace Chipped
94 Legacy Turbo AT Blue Stock SOLD
06 Pontiac G6 AT Green Stock SOLD
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Power Q's

Post by SILINC3R »

well if you beat stock STi's then you'll beat WRX's all day every day. im sure you can look at all the other builds and find what they made. sounds like a good setup though.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

from what im hearing thats about right, but with the EJ22's SOHC kills the power. Swaping to DOHC should get you another 20-40WHP with supporting mods? Jecs will be a must ( think is supports 18PSI) from what iv learned
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Fretting on numbers is foolish. Dynos vary significantly between model, climate, and elevation.

That said, having the same turbo and injectors as an STi puts you at a significant disadvantage since the STi engine makes the EJ22T look stupid in terms of airflow, not to mention displacement. Besides, you do not have full control of your engine management situation.

darkcrave wrote:from what im hearing thats about right, but with the EJ22's SOHC kills the power. Swaping to DOHC should get you another 20-40WHP with supporting mods? Jecs will be a must ( think is supports 18PSI) from what iv learned
The stock turbo (and most turbos people use here) kill power. Swapping heads is not necessarily worth it unless you are going to run a turbo specific cam profile.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Hmmm.

In terms of ecu control i can control everything other than the 02 sensor. That said why would you want to control the factory o2 when i can just stick in a wide band o2 with the UEGO gauge with 1 wire cuz of the AEM FIC.

Asfar as heads go... Yes the DOHC would out flow the stockers.... THO Doesn't a slightly more restricked head increase torque? Not great for power but torque should be good. That just me thinkin out loud tho.

Displacement really should not be an issue. I have been in many a 2.0L wrx from 02-05 with a stage 2 cobb access port and it could kill a stage one 05-07 sti with cobb stuffs and thats a 2.5L. I think the wrx wins cuz of the smaller turbo=better off the line and boost response.

93forestpearl your very VERY right in what you say about dyno's numbers are all usless! Its all about your but dyno and how YOU feel about it.

Thoughts????
93 Legacy Turbo MT Silver Rob Tune 550cc Lowered GT28 AWIC 4.11 05 Leg GT rims Mint body
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'd say it's all about how you stand up to the cars you're going up against, if anything.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Piggybacks do not give you full control over tuning. They give you a lot, but it is not the same ballpark as a standalone.

Smaller ports do not increase torque. They just move the RPM band where the heads are efficient. The EJ22T heads are pretty snappy down low, but this makes racing difficult since they fall off up top. You have to short-shift the car to take advantage of what you have. The re-ground cams from Delta do help significanly, granted your airflow supply (turbo) has enough breath to support them. Besides, off the line response is only good for rallycross or racing up to 40 mph.

The DOHC heads with stock cams are a two steps forward, one step back situation. Yes they flow more. Quite a bit more. However, your wideband will tell you that your AFR is higher than it really is, due to the not turbo happy cam profiles. Several cars around here have been stuck at 300 whp with turbos that are capable of much more. We only got 300 whp out of Derek's car with 28 psi out of a GT3782....
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Dan has some very good comments about the engine management.

I think you're numbers are a little high. 200-220 AWHP is probably a little more realistic. As mentioned, the actual number is really dependent on the dyno, and they can vary significantly. Your best bet is to find out what type of power stock STi's & WRX's put down on the dyno you will be testing/using, and your numbers will likely fall somewhere in between that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

93forestpearl I never though about those heads in that way before. I never knew! Thanks for the great info!!!

I just might have to look into some heads maybe down the road.

Standalones are freaking great i am not going to lye about that. Tho im not really made of money soo thats when the piggyback comes into play. Ill see how it all runs with the piggy and if its not good then ill kick it up a notch.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Wasn't saying you should change your setup. Just keep it all in perspective. Enjoy the car with what you have into it, even if STi's give you trouble.
→Dan

Tommio RS
Second Gear

Post by Tommio RS »

Lol! Sti's will probably give me some problems BUT i hope i can out launch them.

Tho it should be fun as long as everything comes to together right.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Out-launching them means having a drivetrian that can handle it. An STi can take a 5k clutch side-step. Can you?
→Dan

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

How many times can you drop the clutch at 5K in an STI before the trans gives up? Regularly? I saw a guy blow his trans in his STI drag racing and this was 2005 so his STI couldn't have had many miles on it.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You know what can handle it? Toyota R154.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

kimokalihi wrote:How many times can you drop the clutch at 5K in an STI before the trans gives up? Regularly? I saw a guy blow his trans in his STI drag racing and this was 2005 so his STI couldn't have had many miles on it.
blow a tranny or break axles?
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

^ This. And by "blow his trans," what do you actually mean?

A STOCK 6mt is capable of putting a car into the 9's given enough power. P&L seems to like it enough to use a stock 6 speed on their drag car running 9's with drag tires. If that isn't a lot of shock-loading, I don't know what is.

Keep in mind, power capability of a transmission is directly proportional to the driver's level of fail. We all know WRX transmissions can fail at stock power or handle 350whp for years. Same principle applies to a 6mt. It's just that not enough of them have failed in such a manner that we can deduce a failure point.
→Dan

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

ericem wrote:
kimokalihi wrote:How many times can you drop the clutch at 5K in an STI before the trans gives up? Regularly? I saw a guy blow his trans in his STI drag racing and this was 2005 so his STI couldn't have had many miles on it.
blow a tranny or break axles?
Don't know what the official diagnosis was but everyone was saying he blew his tranny. I didn't know jack about subarus back then. It was before I ever owned one. Still had my 89 toyota 4x4.