Rear wheel bearing

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

HiTempguy
In Neutral

Rear wheel bearing

Post by HiTempguy »

Hello Legacy Central! I recently picked up a 1993 Legacy Turbo with 400,000kms on it :shock: As such, some parts are worn on it and need replacing.

Is it possible to purchase a complete new hub for the rear wheel bearings of a Legacy turbo awd? So far, I have come across two options that might work:

http://www.overnightautoparts.com/subar ... l-hub.html

Or

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_par ... rtid=11687

Do you think these parts are what I would be looking for? I really do not want to replace just the wheel bearing when I can simply replace the hub as pressing bearings is lame (read: not fun).

Thanks for the help!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Rear wheel bearing

Post by kimokalihi »

I just attempted replacing my rear driver side wheel bearing with a 20 ton press and failed. Stupid hub wouldnt press in the last milimeter and i gave up and got a used outback hub from the junkyard for $20. Ill never do wheel bearings on a subaru again.

I suggest the junkyard route o save a ton of money and time and frustration. Ive done it 4 times now.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

My stiff, lowered '96 Legacy driving up potholed and rutted mountain passes to go skiing would eat front wheel bearings every few months, and occasionally a rear one as well.

I bought entire spindles from the junkyard to fix every single time and it all worked perfectly, $16 and half an hour and I was on my way again. As Kimo says, that is way cheaper and a whole lot less stressful.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Make sure you bring all the proper tools to the junkyard including all the sockets you'll need (14, 17 and 19 I think), breaker bar, extensions, pickle fork, needle nose pliers, etc or it will be a major PITA.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would agree on just getting using spindles. The first link you posted is just the hub, which doesn't appear to have the bearing or seals.

I would've changed the bearings on mine a while ago if it wasn't a complete pain in the butt. They're ok, but at close to 200k miles it wouldn't hurt.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
HiTempguy
In Neutral

Post by HiTempguy »

Well, did I screw up in getting the rear knuckle assembly off of a 2003 Impreza? Unfortunately, the Legassy is 200kms away from me, so this might be a $100 learning experience. Only 70,000kms on it though...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you know which model 2003 Impreza it was? Some of those came with rear drum brakes. That would be my only concern. If it came with discs, it should be alright.

There was some discussion about bad Impreza wheel bearings and going to the Legacy wheel bearings, but I don't recall the years that was an issue.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
HiTempguy
In Neutral

Post by HiTempguy »

Definitely a disc brake setup, I basically received the whole rear knuckle minus the caliper and strut assembly.

From the reading I've done, the GC8 impreza's had really bad wheel bearings. I figure with only 77,000kms on this one and it being a GD, it should be good for at least another 50,000kms (if this legassy makes it to 500,000kms, I'll be damn impressed haha).

Another nice thing is that even if it does go sooner rather than later, I can do the work at my own leisure on the spare :-D I guess I'll find out if it fits this weekend and report back. I'm surprised there isn't a sticky about this, considering how much of a pain in the ass the rear wheel bearings are on this car!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The sticky would read: Wheel bearings - Replace with used bub assembly. lol
HiTempguy
In Neutral

Post by HiTempguy »

kimokalihi wrote:The sticky would read: Wheel bearings - Replace with used bub assembly. lol

Yes! But it also would have a specific guide on which hub/knuckle assemblies to use, as NOT A SINGLE forum has been able to say yes or no beyond "I think it'll work" which doesn't really help :( GD's chassis impreza's are already a decade old, they are much easier to find low mileage junkyard examples!
HiTempguy
In Neutral

Post by HiTempguy »

As an update, the rear knuckle assembly off of 02-03 Imprezas/WRX's fits flawlessly! Success!

Too bad the rear axle boot was torn to shit :( Considering a boot alone is $20+ dollars, plus grease etc, and the car has 400,000kms on it, I'm going to pick up a brand new cv axle for $100 on sale. Might as well do it right and all that other jazz...
rally370
Second Gear

Post by rally370 »

I have to change my rear knuckle for the same reason before selling the Legacy. As mine is not a Turbo could I get the WRX knuckle and just swap the wheel hub in order to use the N/A axles which are smaller than the Turbo?
Cheers

Chris

Rally Legacy AWD #370 gone! Rally Suzuki swift GTI N1 #370 parted out. Now Mini Cooper #370 with STI suspension in Costa Rica