Question about swapping a 4eat.

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CheatingOnMyDub
In Neutral

Question about swapping a 4eat.

Post by CheatingOnMyDub »

So I just picked up a junk 95 lego wagon. Auto. I have a 92 Lego wagon Turbo with a bad auto trans. Could I put the 95 trans and rear diff in the turbo car and be able to drive it? or will I grenade the whole thing in two seconds? Also, DOES ANYONE need any parts from the 95 wagon? Act fast, car goes by by VERY soon. Motor makes cartoon noise FYI
92 Legacy Touring Wagon LE
Binford
Third Gear

Re: Question about swapping a 4eat.

Post by Binford »

As long as the rear diff matches the front diff nothing will grenade from this swap. :wink:

I would actually check the rear diff before you swap it, too. I'm not sure if they are different ratio or not myself. You may not need to mess with it.
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

The '95 should be 4.11; All turbo 4EATs are 3.90 from '91-94. Also, sometime in the '95-'99 timeframe the 4EAT wiring changed. I've read conflicting reports of using the '95+ trannys in the earlier models succesfully. It WILL bolt up ..but that doesn't mean it'll 'work'.

Where are you located? I have a turbo 4EAT for sale.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
CheatingOnMyDub
In Neutral

I'm located in NY, 2hours north of NYC 12487. How much? You're in Idaho, right? Is there a way to find out if my 95 is too late for this swap? As in checking the VIN?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

CheatingOnMyDub wrote:I'm located in NY, 2hours north of NYC 12487. How much? You're in Idaho, right? Is there a way to find out if my 95 is too late for this swap? As in checking the VIN?
Yeah...Sorry - it's a long ways away and I don't want to ship this beast.

I would do some searching on the Ultimatesubaru.org/forum. There may be a solid answer there. I doubt the dealer would have a clue.

You might find a TCU pin-out - i know there's one on here somewhere for the early stuff - and one for the '95
that could show definitely that they're the same.

As stated make sure you keep the rear diff AND driveline form the '95. Subaru change the rear diff flange's bolt spacing in '95 (?) too, so you're '92 likely won't work w/the '95's.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
CheatingOnMyDub
In Neutral

I figured. Thanks anyhow. If shipping were not a thing, how much would you want for it picked up? Just curious as to what they go for. Im thinking about selling the whole car with the bad trans to someone for either a swap or to repair and drive. Body is in exceptional shape, 162k miles. Interior is mint.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Trans is $300-350 on my Fall Sall thread, I believe.

You're selling '93 TW that just needs a Trans? Does it move @ all? I'm tempted to buy it....but shipping is so dang $$.

The car is probably worth $1-1.5K IMHO, but depends on how rusty underneath....NE winters are hard on metal - I've seen it.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

As far as durability goes, I've run a 95 impreza auto in my 92 SS for two years now with no issues. Currently it only has a catless turbo back, but for a year I ran Rev. stg. 2 with TD04 then a VF39 for a few months. I did add an external trans cooler and would recommend you do the same.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Subydaddy...was the '95 Impreza Auto trans 'plug-n-play'? Including the rear diff?

'95 was 1st year of OBD2 for the Legacy. And the Imprezas w/the Auto trans had the EJ22 for the 1st time and were also OBD2 (EJ18 was still OBD1)....I'd be very surprised if the trans connectors were NOT the same.....

I think that '95 4EAT will work in your TW, IMHO.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

Re-use the torque converter, input/output shafts, and front diff.

Do nothing to the rear or driveshaft, it was all plug and play. Though there is a LARGE bolt you'll have to remove inside the transmission. Rent the socket.

I followed the write-up on this site.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

subydaddy wrote:Re-use the torque converter, input/output shafts, and front diff.

Do nothing to the rear or driveshaft, it was all plug and play. Though there is a LARGE bolt you'll have to remove inside the transmission. Rent the socket.

I followed the write-up on this site.

Found your post from a year ago HERE that includes the link to the write-up..... The good news is the connectors seemed to work 'as is' in your experience.
Plugs were the same.

Car runs exactly the same as before, Power/manual mode and all.

After you seperate the front diff and rear housing from the transmission there will a shaft/rod thing that runs through the transmission. Front teeth connect to the front diff and the rear of the rod connects to another gear type thing that runs the rear wheels. Take that rod out (there is a big nut in the rear and four small bolts on the front)

Swap that to your new transmission, reuse your front diff and torque converter and the other skinny rod you put your torque converter on. If I remember right you could use either of the two rear housings but I don't remember for sure. I think I used my old rear housing just to be safe.

I have pictures floating around somewhere that I'll try to locate for you guys.

Here you go, was able to track this down, Much thanks again to All_talk for helping me through this last year. The car is still running today (well not exactly today, my radiator just cracked)

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=21482

I'll still look for my pictures and if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T