Cruise control add.

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rocktown1980
In Neutral

Cruise control add.

Post by rocktown1980 »

Been here for a month now and ive finaly come across a few questions i cant find answers on. Anyways im looking to add cruise control to my 92 legacy wagon N/A 5MT. I know it will be less of a hassle to get a cruise computer from another 5MT but is everything plug and play? i.e. all the wiring already exists in my car. also will any 90-94 cruse comp work? and as far as the steering wheel switch is any year compatable, can i just cut out a slot in the rear cover or do i need a new steering wheel as well.
so far i have found a 94 wagon auto in the local J/Y. (1 of 3 1st gen within a 50 mile radius :( ) i can get most of the parts from it while im there for rear hubs and trailing arms. also found a computer for a 93 5MT on ebay for cheap. I guess im just looking to know any snags or issues i should look out for before i commit to purchasing parts.
1992 Legacy L Wagon.
Saved from the demo.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cruise control add.

Post by Legacy777 »

From a little testing with Todd (TD) we discoverd the AT cruise computer won't work. You will definitely need a MT cruise computer and the associated relays. From what he described, it sounds like Subaru may have changed the relays around from the 90-91 MY's, so I'd have to look in the service manuals to verify that.

I really don't know if all the wiring is present. I'm actually a little surprised you don't have cruise. I had thought all the Legacies came with it, especially if it was an "L"
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rocktown1980
In Neutral

Post by rocktown1980 »

I can only guess that it is an "L" all the badging is long gone, that and i thought the "L" was base model. guess i could try looking up the option code or somthing.
1992 Legacy L Wagon.
Saved from the demo.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There is actually a model under the L that didn't have painted bumpers and a few other things.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rocktown1980
In Neutral

Post by rocktown1980 »

I was just reading about that. its not a STD model thats for sure. Guess i still got sme more reaserch to do :(
1992 Legacy L Wagon.
Saved from the demo.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I hate to hijack the thread, but why can't an AT cruise computer work? Af far as I can tell, the computers were the same, just the relays were different.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The cruise computers are not the same. They have a different part # and activate with a different relay setup. The MT cruise computer is setup for normally open relay, while the AT computer is setup for a normally closed relay. Todd and I were trying to rig something up so we just tweaked the relay configuration, but it didn't work.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rocktown1980
In Neutral

Post by rocktown1980 »

Well i printed all the wiring schematics and harness locations from the 92 liberty service manual and it looks to be rather straight forward for now. from what i can tell just by poking around this afternoon most of the wiring is there and with that in mind i bought the cruise computer which comes with the main relay. now i just have to find the cruise pump(and mounting hardware),main switch,clutch switch, look at the stop/brake switch to see if its all the same thing and figure out if i just need the sub switch or if getting a whole new steering wheel will be easier. it would be nice to have variable wipers. just wonder if i can get the rear to be variable too. more book work, yay!!!
oh yeah almost forgot, its rather odd to trace wires from the diagram of a RHD vehicle. lol
1992 Legacy L Wagon.
Saved from the demo.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just a note, no guarantee all the wiring on the liberty manual will match your legacy. So if you see something weird/different with the wiring, don't be too alarmed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rocktown1980
In Neutral

Post by rocktown1980 »

I`ve already found a few discrepencys. I need to bust out the old multimeter and check a few things. hopefully its nothing major.
1992 Legacy L Wagon.
Saved from the demo.
rocktown1980
In Neutral

Post by rocktown1980 »

One step closer. All the wiring is there and works so i will just have to plucg in the componants. still have to figure out the sub-switch mounting thing. if anyone happens to have a pic of there steering wheel with the horn switch off that has cruise or could tell me if mine will work based off the following pic it would be greatly appreciated.

1992 Legacy L Wagon.
Saved from the demo.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There are some misc pictures in here. Not sure if they'll give you all the details you need, but they may help.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... oostgauge/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rocktown1980
In Neutral

Post by rocktown1980 »

Thanks man. After looking at the parts catalog Ive got it all figured out. i just got to get to the junkyard for most of the parts. unfortunately the only Subaru Ive found with cruise is a 94 and auto so i still need to get the clutch switch and the sub switch is different with airbag. well different part# anyways. just wish i had a better selection at the J/Y. Subaru's are like finding a needle in a haystack around here. I should have all the parts i need in a week or two. Once i get to it i can take some pics/get some part# and maybe write up a how to if anyone is interested.
1992 Legacy L Wagon.
Saved from the demo.
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

I'm interested
rocktown1980
In Neutral

Post by rocktown1980 »

Finally got the rest of the parts i needed today!!!!! kinda hard pressed for time today but I should have it done this weekend. :D

K found time to install. It only took about an hour or so. and it works :-D Al-tho i believe i have to replace a vacuum line its a bit slow to engage and not 100% able to hold a constant speed. but for junkyard parts I'm happy with it.
1992 Legacy L Wagon.
Saved from the demo.
subydaddy
First Gear

Post by subydaddy »

Any time for a quick write up?