Clutch Replacement: My Race Against Time

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

The Beast just rolled over 190k and the clutch has seen better days. It's time to replace it. This is my daily so my time frame is essentially the weekend. I've been an MR2 owner my whole life so the Subaru is fairly new to me (had it a little over 2 years now). In those 2 years I've done nothing major to it outside of routine maintenance. This will be my first time doing a clutch on any car.

Over the past few weeks I've been reading and reading, and then doing some more reading - I feel I have a good grasp on what I need to be doing. I'm essentially just making this thread for the unforeseen problems I'm certain I'm going to encounter.

Here's the progress as of now:
-Dropped exhaust.
-removed CV axles from trans housing.
-removed intake and other loose ends in the bay.
-PB blasted just about every bolt I suspected I might need to remove.

I'd like to get an early start on things tomorrow and hopefully avoid having to do much on Sunday but we'll see. My first step is to remove the driveline. I wanted to get to that tonight but weather and daylight didn't permit. I'm working with a couple of jack stands and a car jack so my plan was to jack up the rear, throw some stones (level, obviously) under the wheels, jack up the front, set that on the jack stands and then use the jack itself to support the transmission.

A few questions I can hopefully have answered before the morning:
What size Hex tool is needed? Is it 21mm?
I've read there are 3 clips that should be replaced? Is that something I can source from a local auto store or do I need to get those from Subaru directly?

If anymore questions arise, I'll get them posted. Hopefully with the help of the board I can be back up and running by Monday!

Here she sits:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Clutch Replacement: My Race Against Time

Post by Legacy777 »

Assuming it's a non-turbo transmission, you shouldn't really need a hex tool.

Check out this thread for more info about the clips & some pictures.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50235

You will likely need to get the clips from the dealer if you need to replace them, which I'd suggest.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

What progress did you make? Any specific questions? Can you confirm if your car is NA?
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

The car is NA. I was able to drop the driveline and get everything unbolted. Everything went as smooth as can be, except! I FORGOT THE CLIPS! I got the trans backed off the housing a good foot with it supported by the jack. Made for easy access to the clutch and flywheel. Old clutch is out, new one is in, all torqued to spec. I just can't believe I forgot the stupid clips. I've read about them everywhere but didn't grab them. By the time I realized I needed them, all the Subaru dealerships' parts departments were closed.

So as it sits, I'm 3 tiny clips away from completion. Everything was pretty straight forward for the most part. It took some trail and error to figure a few things out but all and all it's been a fairly painless job. All the parts departments are closed on Sunday but I'm gonna call the dealership anyway and hopefully run into a guy who can help me out.

Do you guys know of any other auto stores that might sell these clips? I actually have one of the old ones that seems to be in great shape. I understand the delicacy of these but has anyone tried to and successfully made their own? Again, with this as my daily, I'm really hoping to be able to finish it up today. I believe the neighbors are just about at wits end with the whole ordeal as well.
docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

Does anybody have the part number for those clips?
docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

Nevermind, I found it.
30539AA000

There are 3 clips, correct?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, there are three clips, well actually two clips and one "spring" type clip.

2 x 30539AA000
1 x 30534AA001
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

UPDATE:

The clutch is in and the transmission is back mated to the engine! It got dark before I was able to get everything bolted back together so I'm not home free yet! I needed to change the passenger front cv axle and was having trouble getting the thing out. Once you remove the outer nut it should slide right out, correct? (I have it removed from the trans housing already.) I for the life of me can't get the thing to break loose. Suggestions? I threw some blaster on it to absorb overnight, hoping that does the trick.

I plan to wrap things up after work tomorrow and go out for a spin. I'll update once I've done that.
Josh, you've been a big help! Thanks for everything.

Once I confirm everything is in working order I plan to give a quick rundown of the overall experience in general. Hopefully give some insight for anybody doing their first clutch job.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The axle is probably corroded into the hub. Depending on how bad it is, you might be able to just hammer it out.

I'd say have at it if you're changing the axle anyway, but don't damage the stub too bad, in case you can't get it out and need to put the axle nut back on it.

But it's not pressed in like the 80's Subarus. It's supposed to just slide in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

SHE'S ALIVE!

I've been working sun up to sun down this week so my wrenching time has been cut dramatically, however, last night around 11pm I dropped in new trans fluid and took her out for a spin. Such a feeling of relief when it started moving forward.

Couple issues:
- Speedo isn't working. I can only assume it was left unplugged. I can be difficult to see what you're doing at night.
- There is a noise. A whining noise. I want to believe that one of the several fluids I used found its way on the serp belt. The noise reminds me of a turbo diesel spooling up. Actually sounds pretty cool, but..... I want it gone. The noise is constant with the engine RPM. Hardly noticeable at idle, louder whine the higher the rev. Anybody have a clue what this could be off the top of their head?

Overall the experience was tolerable. Personally, if I had the money to have it done, I probably would have. I'm 6'3 and rolling around under a car wasn't desirable. I learned a lot doing it and I'm glad to say I have a clutch under my belt. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I've never done anything to this magnitude. Outside of brakes, suspension, and your typical fluid changes, I've done nothing.

Things to note:
- I did roughly 90% of the work alone. Removing and installing the transmission needed a second person.
- Everything is pretty straight forward. It's just time consuming.
- Use PB Blaster
- MAKE SURE YOUR CLUTCH KIT COMES WITH CLIPS OR MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THEM BEFOREHAND!!!
- Give yourself a weekend if it's your first time. I put in probably close to 20 hours. This includes mess ups and ensuring I was doing everything properly. If I had to do it again, I'd say I could cut the time in half.

That's mostly all that comes to mind. I'm glad it's done and I'm glad I did it. You can't beat the feeling of satisfaction you get when you do a big job and it all works properly. The board is your friend. Josh, you were a big help and I thank you again. I happy to be part of the community.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Congrats on finishing the job! Sounds like you have the speedo issue covered. As far as the whining noise, could it be the power steering pump?

Not that you'll be doing a clutch job any time soon, but I have had good success with pulling the motor. First time I rented a hoist, though I ended buying a Harbor Freight special. You only have to drain the radiator and unplug the wires that way. Either way works though.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

The power steering pump could be a possibility, I'll have to check that tomorrow.

I initially was going to pull the motor. Or possibly remove radiator and fan and slide it forward. (I've heard people have had success doing that.) I feel like it could of been easier but oh well.

Time to get in the market for an exhaust. Mine is well on its way out. Did I read somewhere that early 2k WRX exhausts bolt right up or is that just suspension?
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

I need an exhaust for mine, complete including headers, lemme know what you find.
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

next time i recomend pulling the motor, . my first time i had the motor out in an hour in my garage. did some well needed maintenance and a new clutch and had it back to gether the next day. but good job on your first clutch. it shoud be ready for some snow. if you have snow where you are.
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Glad to hear you got it going again!

Regarding the noise, you may want to try and listen to the engine run and walk around it and see if you can pin point an area where it's coming from.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

Some bad news today. I think I figured out what was making the whining noise. The last few days of driving the car there have been two instances where when rolling up to a red light with the clutch in (idle) the car dies. Again it's only done this a couple times and every time it does it, I turn the key and it fires right back up. Well today, on my way into work, while coming to a stop at a red light, the car turned off. I went to fire it back up and nothing. It cranked and cranked and cranked but never fired. Immediate thought is a fuel issue. I have it towed to a nearby shop and have them estimate me a fuel pump replacement. They say $700. I now feel insulted. Tell 'em that's not gonna fly and have the car towed back to the house.

Jumped onto the forum and started reading. I saw something about fuel pumps making a whining noise when they're about to go out. Also saw that I should try replacing fuel filter. I just did that and still nothing. Read another thing about a coolant temp sensor. I think I'm just gonna replace it all and hopefully have this thing back to 100%.
docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

I talked to somebody who suggested keeping one of the lines off the fuel filter and turning the key to the second position. He said if the pump is good, it'll spit a little fuel. Did that, and sure enough, it spit. Is that an accurate way of determining if a fuel pump is working? Car is still just turning over. Another guy from work suggested unhooking the battery and resetting the ECU. I disconnected the terminals for about a minute. Not sure if that was long enough. Still nothing.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It would be better if you had a fuel pressure gauge to check for good fuel pressure while cranking.

Have you pulled the plugs to see if they are wet with fuel? If they have fuel, next you need to verify spark. If you have fuel & spark, then I would verify timing. There's really not much else that would keep the engine from starting.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

I'm going to pull plugs tomorrow and check them. I feel like this is something really silly. Any input on this coolant temp sensor?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I suppose it could be the coolant temp sensor, but I'd suggest starting with the basics and confirm you have spark, etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

docboost
In Neutral

Post by docboost »

Well this weekend I ran through the basics. Checked fuel, confirmed that. Assumed it was spark. Replaced plugs, wires, and ignitor pack (that thing was much more expensive than I would have guessed.) I confirmed fire. So we have fuel and fire but still nothing! Just cranking. I'm clueless at this point. Call a buddy to get his opinion, he suggests a timing issue. Very good. Pull a section of the timing belt cover, notice belt is cracked and looking rough. Tug on it, it's abnormally loose. Pull on it, and It comes out. Ripped. Gone. Toast. Makes perfect sense.

So THIS weekend I'm doing a timing belt. Hooray. Time to get reading.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Luckily the SOHC ej engines are about the easiest timing belts you can do. And non interferance too!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.