Clicking when turning?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

devilzdriver
First Gear

Clicking when turning?

Post by devilzdriver »

Hey gang, well i rebuilt the rear section of the SS and i noticed when i make sharp right turns (fullish lock) their is this ever so slight clicking sound very faint.... i have been reading around and cant figure out what it is? Has anyone got an idea? both front Axles have been replaced, tierod inner and outer's have been replaced, new struts/springs and top hats. So after all this still confused as to what is broken.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: Clicking when turning?

Post by SILINC3R »

Not necessarily broken just yet but it is probably your CVs unfortunately. This is generaly the noise you will hear when they start to go bad. Check the boots on the front axles for tears and then go from there. If they are ripped the grease has come out and and that is why they are clicking. dirt and debris can lead to further damage. Also try not to turn full lock it will help from straining the joints. Mine have been clicking for a while I just make sure to keep them out of full lock or once I hear them click I stop turning so sharp. If you have to make a sharp turn either use the ebrake to get you around or put the hammer down to get around.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

SILINC3R wrote:Not necessarily broken just yet but it is probably your CVs unfortunately. This is generaly the noise you will hear when they start to go bad. Check the boots on the front axles for tears and then go from there. If they are ripped the grease has come out and and that is why they are clicking. dirt and debris can lead to further damage. Also try not to turn full lock it will help from straining the joints. Mine have been clicking for a while I just make sure to keep them out of full lock or once I hear them click I stop turning so sharp. If you have to make a sharp turn either use the ebrake to get you around or put the hammer down to get around.

FML lol the axles lasted 1 race lol..... when i went full lock the other day i heard a sound simular to a brake pad that has no meat hitting a rotor? axles still? the clicking went away when i heard that.... :/ i have a race on the 1st and living in hawaii i doubt i can get axles.... again.....
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

HI,

So....you rebuilt the rear-end (what did this entail?), and NOW the front clicks or it did it b4 too?

If you did buy cheap, non-Subaru CV axles they may still be giving you grief....

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

wtdash wrote:HI,

So....you rebuilt the rear-end (what did this entail?), and NOW the front clicks or it did it b4 too?

If you did buy cheap, non-Subaru CV axles they may still be giving you grief....

Td

What do ya mean by rebuilt the rear end?

I went to the subie dealership and bought new CV's from them i really hope its not the axles i paid a really prem. price for those damn things, i don't buy cheap crap just for this reason but the axles have MAYBE 150 miles on them....
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

You stated:
devilzdriver wrote:... i rebuilt the rear section of the SS...

I'd trust those axles ....something else, then. I know the wheel bearings can cause grief, too....but hopefully the experts will show up.

Td
Last edited by wtdash on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Clicking when turning?

Post by entirelyturbo »

Did you buy BRAND-NEW axles, or reman axles? New (not reman) OEM axles can cost $500 or more each.

Even still, just because they've recently been replaced doesn't mean they can't go bad. If they're clicking, take them back to the dealer and get replacement ones under the parts warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would suggest what Michael (DerFahrer) recommended. If you recently purchased them, (new or reman) they shouldn't go bad in 150 miles.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

devilzdriver wrote:
wtdash wrote:HI,

Td

What do ya mean by rebuilt the rear end?

I went to the subie dealership and bought new CV's from them i really hope its not the axles i paid a really prem. price for those damn things, i don't buy cheap crap just for this reason but the axles have MAYBE 150 miles on them....

Sorry brain fart, the rear section of the transmission gernaded during the rallyx and i rebuilt the rear end. but now i hear this horrible sound at full lock and im afraid im going to break something now :/
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

What trans do you have - 5-speed or 4EAT/ Auto?
Do you have torque bind @ all, too?...usually not common in manual trans, but could still be there.

P.s. have you checked your front diff fluid?

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

i have a 5Spd, and i dont see another dipstick for the front diff? its just the one dipstick and all is fine in the trans. fluid wise...
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Clicking when turning?

Post by entirelyturbo »

If it's a 5spd, then there's just that one dipstick. The 5spd transmission and front diff share the same gear oil.

2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
devilzdriver
First Gear

Post by devilzdriver »

DerFahrer wrote:If it's a 5spd, then there's just that one dipstick. The 5spd transmission and front diff share the same gear oil.

Thats what i assumed... phew lol