Mike's 1991 Subaru Legacy SS

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Mike's 1991 Subaru Legacy SS

Post by kimokalihi »

Mine ran out of gas and I found someone to get some gas for me and put a gallon in and only filled up about 12 gallons. So 13 and I was out but when I'm on the empty mark it takes about 11.5 gallons. Even at 25mpg that's only 287.5 miles. I doubt you'll get that good of mpg. Maybe but you're using 4.11's right? You'd have to be cutting it much closer to running out than I'd be comfortable with.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I get 22.5 mpg with 4.44's and diving mostly country 50 mph roads filling up on average 11 gallons I'm only getting 225 miles on a tank.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Kimo, you know we have 60 liter/15.9 gallon tanks right? If you can't drive another 50+ miles without running out, you have a capacity problem with your tank, or with the pump getting all of the fuel in it.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
randomiam
Second Gear

Post by randomiam »

I get pretty poor gas mileage but are you sure you are calculating it right Kimo? Reset the odometer after your next fillup and then next time around, divide the miles driven by the gas it took to fill back up to get the actual number

Our tanks are supposed to be 15.9 right? I've noticed that you still have a good 3/4 gallons after its on E-- 22mpg x 15.9 = 350~ miles range
Subaru-less
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I know. What could cause that problem? How many gallons do you put in when you're on E? I just assumed that was the desin of the tank.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

randomiam wrote:I get pretty poor gas mileage but are you sure you are calculating it right Kimo? Reset the odometer after your next fillup and then next time around, divide the miles driven by the gas it took to fill back up to get the actual number

Our tanks are supposed to be 15.9 right? I've noticed that you still have a good 3/4 gallons after its on E-- 22mpg x 15.9 = 350~ miles range
I know how to properly calculate mpg. I think you didn't see where I mentioned I'm on empty and it only takes 11 gallons. I ran out of fuel and it only took 13 gallons.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

When my fuel light comes on I have just under 3 gallons left. I give myself 50mile before I 'have' to fill up, and there's always a gallon or more left at that point
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well that makes sense then. I wonder why I don't get that much fuel before I'm out? The tank came from an NA legacy but it should be the same.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My fuel light doesn't even come on. I saw it right before I ran out of gas. Like within a minute or two of running out. And it went off before it ran out of gas.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah not saying that my light comes on the same as everyone's. But mine does come on when its supposed to.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

mike-tracy wrote:
I asked Alphius his opinion on the problem, and based on my description he thinks it could be the cam or crank sensors. When he mentioned that, I remembered that the cam wire was spliced, and the ground wire goes straight to the body. Apparently a previous owner solved a grounding problem that way. I also accidentally tore off the plug for the crank sensor when I pulled the engine a while back, but I had soldered it back with shrink rap, so I'm not as worried about it.

Mike, do you still have one of your cam sensor wires grounded to the body?

-Rob
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yes, he does. It's going to be fixed soon though. I personally think that the janky wiring on the cam/crank sensor wires could be the cause of the problem. The ECU loses tach pulse when it happens, so it is probably losing sync due to noise on the cam/crank lines or something similar.

On fuelchat, I easily achieved 300+ on a tank with my Turbo Legacy. All city driving usually got me 23mpg and highway got me 29 pretty easily. I was able to put in 14.5 gallons at the most, but I never really had the balls to push it any further and never ran out completely.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Ok, that is a problem. The (-) signal of the cam/crank sensors is not ground. Both + and - should be directly connected to the ECU pins.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Exactly. Hence why I told him to fix that a long time ago; he pulled some un-molested wiring out of a junkyard car to put in hopefully very soon.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I will, I will. I have this Sunday off and plan to do it then. Previous owned claimed not to have 'rigged' the wiring like that, and the owner previous to that was Matt Monson, so I can't exactly blame them at this stage lol
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Alphius wrote:Yes, he does. It's going to be fixed soon though. I personally think that the janky wiring on the cam/crank sensor wires could be the cause of the problem. The ECU loses tach pulse when it happens, so it is probably losing sync due to noise on the cam/crank lines or something similar.
Ah ok. I misunderstood the previous comments about fixing as general wiring cleanup. This is more than just cleanup :)

Also keep in mind that both sensors require shielded wiring, with the shield grounding at the proper ECU pin.

Mike, I think you guys are headed in the right direction. I personally wouldn't waste any time thinking about other possible causes until you have this fixed. It is likely the source of your troubles.

-Rob
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Thanks Rob, I'll post how it goes on Sunday.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

mike-tracy wrote:So this morning I bought some starting fluid for testing. WD40 and Brakecleen weren't flammable enough to pinpoint the source of the leak. Well turns out the driver side injector rails weren't seated properly in the manifold. I had a real bitch of a time with them last night, and ended up lubing the seals between the rails/manifold but apparently that wasn't enough.

So I seated them properly, and the huge hissing sound is gone, as is the horrible idle. My car can boost again :) Still have the full load/5k rpm spark cut, but the car is more than drivable. So long as I don't plant my foot I'm fine. Set mbc to 12psi till I get that one sorted out.

OK I'd like to explain how the car evacuated all it's fuel as it's something I've never experienced or read about, as well as added hours to how long this ordeal took. The passenger side rail was fully installed, and I had the driver side rail bolted down, but the rear fuel hardline wasn't connected. I turned the key on to 'ACC' for about 30 seconds, smelled fuel and realized I had pressurized the fuel system, so I turned the key off. I noticed the unbolted side of the rail leaking some fuel, but I figured that without the pump running it would run out of pressure and stop flowing shortly.

We ate dinner, and when I went back to the car, sure enough the rail wasn't leaking any more.... So after a crap ton of testing because it wouldn't start (including testing the injectors) Adam said, you sure you have fuel in there? I said yes, I filled up full yesterday, and have driven 145 miles (about half a tankful). Well, for some reason, the pressurized fuel system created a siphon effect that went on to drain the entire tank. Fortunately the car was outdoors and there was no real fire hazard. I ended up putting around a gallon of "mystery fuel" (from a gas can lying around) plus 14.8 gallons from the gas station.

I guess the takeaways would be:
-Don't work on a fuel system, in the dark, or when tired.
-Never, ever prime the fuel pump when a fuel line or rail is open.
-Always have a backup car in case you can't finish the job.
:-D

Mike,

Always make sure you use plenty of lube! ;)

Regarding your fuel adventure.....so you're saying that you drained out close to 5-6 gallons? Was there a massive puddle or spill under the car? 5-6 gallons of gasoline is quite noticable? Also, the ECU does not get powered on with the key in the ACC position, only when it is in the ON position. Unless the wiring has been bastardized, which hearing about your other issues, might be the case, the ECU shouldn't have powered on with the key in the ACC position.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

The car was parked over grass (in my front yard), so the fuel went into the ground.
He turned the key to the "On" position, which primed the pump and started the siphon and then we went to dinner shortly after so nobody involved noticed it was still draining.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Thats a lot of fuel to siphon though a leak. Luckily most of it likely evaporated. But let us know how that spot on your lawn is after a week.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haha. Did it smell pretty badly when you got home and climbed out of your car? Do you have a well or city water?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The car had been outside all afternoon with the hood open, so just our footwear smelled like gas.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yeah, my shoes smelled like gas pretty bad the next day.
I am on city water.

I will update you guys on the lawn after a week or so. :P
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Im curious about the lawn as well...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Unrelated but if you pee on the same patch of grass for a couple weeks it dies. This is from experience. Lived in a building with no plumbing for 3 years and working nights I would just pee outside rather than hastling with keys in the dark to get into the house.