Odd sound in engine bay in ACC mode? +Other issues

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Arbiter
First Gear

Odd sound in engine bay in ACC mode? +Other issues

Post by Arbiter »

Hey folks,

Title explains itself. Also put this in my build thread. When I put the car into accessory mode, after about 5 seconds, a rapid ticking noise is coming from the engine bay. At the same time, the sound of a relay going off is happening under the dash at the relay box thing. When the relay "clicks," the engine sound gets quieter until the click is over. The click occurs once about every 2 seconds.

I also noticed that the garage smelt like gasoline after putting the car in accessory mode. Come to think of it, I heard the sound of fluids moving from the back of the car, like it was sending gas to the engine. Some are directing me to the Evaporation Flow Control Solenoid, not too sure where that is though and how it could solve my problem. Something tells me that unplugging something isn't going to stop the noise and gas smell, which is what I'm primarily concerned with right now.

Any ideas regarding these issues? I looked around the forums a bit, but could find only 1 or 2 threads relating to Purge Valves, which I'm not sure is what I'm looking for.

Only modifications done are a clock spring removal, so cruise control is gone, the dash button is still there though and plugged in... and I swapped out every single halogen bulb with LEDs.

Bear with me, first car and It's my first time doing anything on Subarus or any car in general haha :)

Here's a video of the sound: https://youtu.be/OwW5naD1TeQ

Thanks!
mike-tracy

Re: Odd sound in engine bay in ACC mode? +Other issues

Post by mike-tracy »

Try touching the fuel injectors when it's making that noise, you'll be able to feel em if they're causing that noise.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

I'll give that a try. Need to move the car out of the garage first though, don't want to blow the house up with the fumes. We have a bunch of heaters and other things in there... not the safest place to be having a leak.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Regardless of what the actual item is, it sounds like something on the ACC circuit is backfeeding the IGN circuit. The most likely culprit is a improperly wire stereo, as that is really the only component that uses both circuits. I guess a faulty ignition switch might also do the same.

At least something to think about.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Interesting. I actually haven't wired up my factory stereo yet, going to put in something new. Took my paper speakers out too. Would an unwired stereo still cause that? My ignition switch feels mechanically fine...although, pretty sure it isn't bolted up correctly. Having this thing apart for so long, I forget where some things go. Pretty sure it isn't supposed to be loose, and I mean extremely loose. The two round rods that appear to hold the ignition are about an inch below the top of where I think they should be. I'm describing this like a moron, so my apologies if you have no clue what I'm talking about.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't think this is the case, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to check and make sure your green diagnostic connectors are unplugged.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Arbiter
First Gear

Post by Arbiter »

Nope, unfortunately not. It's currently in shop, engine is getting pulled for other maintenance, but that issue was traced to an injector.

I was told the injector had a short or something, so whenever I turned slightly past ACC mode, the injector would cause the ticking noise and also dump gasoline in as well, which created the gas smell in the garage. So it seems Mike was on point with this one.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well at least you figured out what the cause was.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm