water wrap?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Douglas G Vincent
In Neutral

water wrap?

Post by Douglas G Vincent »

Ok, if I want to intercool my supercharger set up, this involves A- an intercooler, B- repiping the entire intake C- the time and money to do both.

Since I havent shown the photes yet, the intake pipe just runs about a 2.5 lenght with about 1.5" straight. I was thinking how to cool this off for when I actually manage to get it hot. Maybe a water bladder wrapped around the pipe, with a radiator and pump located elsewhere.

This obviously would not work as great as a real intercooler, but then again I am not running 15lbs of boost through a red hot turbo.

I think this would help in keeping the engine heat sink problems down, not necessarily getting the air ice cold. I say this because my intake gets real hot, even without running the supercharger, and I suspect this is just from absorbing exhaust and engine heat.
EJ20TMAN
In Neutral

Post by EJ20TMAN »

I dont think this would do shiz all as how much air are u pulling heat out of by cooling down the pipe, not much i tell u. Prolly more worth it putting in a proper intercooler
1990 GT wagon JDM, TD05H, FMIC, Bosch coils 4in twin split dump 3 in rest of system, lowered, manual conversion, 17's, 17psi boost :) , tints, intake res gone and loving it!!!
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You seem to be extremely handy, so I'd suggest a small, inline, Air-air-intercooler with a scoop cut out of the hood.

Now, how to make a small, inline, AAIC?

Simple. Junkyard. Find a SAAB 900, preferably an 85 that has an all aluminum IC.

Cut the end tanks off, and cut out about 5 to 10 channels. Get some sheet aluminum and weld it to the ends and make some 2.5" inlet/outlet bits. Run it inline, and maybe mist it with winshield washer fluid to keep temps down.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

I don't think it would be worth doing the pipe jacket thing. I'd think about doing a good IC when you have funds.
Turbos don't glow red on the cold side, it's compressing the air that makes most of the heat.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

-K- is right. I've opened my hood after a HARD drive and I can see my turbo glowing red :)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

you're also at like 15 psi :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

If any of my stuff starts to glow red, CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT!

After looking at my intake again, I am going to (down the road) do an inline intercooler, probably watercooled. This will be alot easier and cheaper than doing a FMIC.

As you can see, their is plenty of room to cutout the long section and fill in with an IC. There is actually alot more room than the picture suggests. The other option is to rework the intake some more and snake the intake a little to allow a longer,wider IC.

I did drill out the hood today to allow for some air cooling of the piping. I need to fab up a diagonal scoop now of some sort.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You could do NACA ducts in the hood like the Lamborghini Espada used for vent air.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

why dont you just use a saab 900 for now? it looks setup just right for it.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Maybe I will win this one! pretty perfect!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... ename=WDVW
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

You could use a Subaru IC easy enough. You can pick up a air-water for $100-150 and they look like they belong there, real clean.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt