wiring in universal O2

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

The Scooby
Second Gear

wiring in universal O2

Post by The Scooby »

well i picked up a bosch universal O2 to replace my factory one that had 169K on it, well here lies the problem, the bosch has 3 wires, 2 white 1 black, the factory one has 1 red, 1 white, and 1 black, i hooked the grounds together as i should but how do i tell if i hooked the others to the right one's

thanks,
shean
1999 Impreza Outback Sport w/ MY02 WRX complete swap

1986 GL wagon
EJ'ed and Lifted
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Here's the info you need:

Code: Select all

OEM sensor-side | OEM car-side |Bosch 3-wire | Description
  wire color    |  wire color  | wire color  | 
----------------|--------------|-------------|------------
RED             | YELLOW/RED   | WHITE       | Heater +
BLACK           | BLACK/WHITE  | WHITE       | Heater -
WHITE           | WHITE        | BLACK       | Signal
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Excellent! I just started getting the o2 code this past week. It comes on once in a ahile on the highway for about a minute and then goes off. I guess it's time for the original to go.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The original 250,000-mile-old one? Wow...

You can save some money by getting a 1-wire sensor if you don't mind staying in open loop a little longer.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

vrg when i un plug my o2 it runs better then if it was pluged in, what is its problem.

also i to wired up a aftermarket 02 sensore its called a ntk or some thing of those lines. should i get a bosch.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Sounds like your sensor is bad, Nico. Have you tried measuring its output signal?

NGK makes very good oxygen sensors (and brands them NTK), as does Bosch. Your problem isn't that it's an NTK sensor, but it may be that it's gone bad.

You can damage an oxygen sensor by running leaded fuel, by exposing the fuel, oil, intake, or front exhaust to non-sensor-safe silicone, by using certain fuel or motor treatments, or by getting excessive dirt, moisture, or paint on the outside of the sensor.