Engine Light coming on/off

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BoOdOg
In Neutral

Engine Light coming on/off

Post by BoOdOg »

Ok,

this is kinda odd to me. Yes before I ask I did search for any information but was unable to find any so here goes ..

Ok if my car (91 Legacy non-turbo auto) is sitting for awhile it's fine. No problems. However if I shut it off and turn it back on the check engine light will come on and stay on. If I then let car sit for awhile till it cools down turn car back on the light isn't on. Now their is no different in the way the car runs with light on or off.

Also sometimes first thing in mornings on my way to work on local highway the check engie light will come on around a turn then go out right away once I am finished the turn. I am just curious of what could be the cause. It's more annoying than an issue really but still would like to know the cause. Thanks
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Read the trouble codes from your engine computer:

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

Moderators: Can we get a sticky in this forum with this link?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Stuck.

Does the car have trouble starting? Sounds like a Coolant Temp Sensor.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I had the same pattern (CEL on after starting while warm), and it was the Canister Purge Solenoid (code 35).
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
sullione
Second Gear

Post by sullione »

Same symptoms as yours and mine too was the canister purge valve solenoid.
James
1991 Legacy LSi sold!!!
2003 Infiniti G35
kyledooley
In Neutral

Post by kyledooley »

Ditto. Cannister purge solenoid.

Pull the codes. It is pretty simple to follow the instructions.

Kyle
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I wouldn't worry about changing it. It doesn't do much, and it is a 60 dollar part. If you have a turbo it is a pain to change, but not complicated. I have the same problem and am holding off as long as I can. I do have to change it in the next month because I'm worried the light will come on when I got to smog the car. :)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
shagnsubywagn
In Neutral

Me too

Post by shagnsubywagn »

Same here as these other guys. Code 35. Purge Control Solenoid Valve. Also putting off replacement. Must be a real common problem.

Emily
1994 Legacy Wagon--FOR SALE
2003 Legacy Outback Wagon
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Just replace it with a resistor.
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

OK........I tered appart my entire electrical system underneath the stearing column. No freaking black conectors. :evil:

My story...a week ago I bought This great car cold Legacy. Station Wagon Turbo AWD. Theoretically... it has the 2.2 Turbo engine. But...when I took it for safety check...the guys there told me that I am the lucky owner of a Japanese engine wich looks pretty new. Now...I don't really know (I didn't check yeat) what kind of engine I have. But...I know that the car works perfectly if i don't hammer it. As soon as I force it a litle bit...the CEL starts bugging me. Unfortunately it does not act after a pattern but Randomly. So i decided to check the ECU codes. I found the green things, BUT NO BLACK. I am thinking....without knowing exactly what engine I have....probably it's a newer engine...so...the thing doesn;t appy to it. Where can I find a GOOD service book...beside the sucky Heynes. Or does anyone have any ideea? Tomorrow I am gonna let you know exactly what engine I have.
And few questions...what ECU TCU stands for.....what the Canister Purge Solenoid??? What's the Canister?
Another thing...The coolant tank by the engine...the strange shaped black one...not the coolant reservoir...I have it cracked....the tope pipe by the lid...is broken...i glueded it back, but...can that be the problem??

Sorry guys...am new not only in Subaru's...but in Canada too. I know some mechanics but unfortunately I don't know the names in english of all the parts. If you know a site or smth were I can learn all this names, abreviations,...that you use please let me know. Couse I don;t want to bother you with childish questions.
Thanx a lot.
93 Legacy EJ22T Station Wagon (4EAT-unfortunately)
God gave us cars so we can enjoy life faster!!!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

You will have it even if its a 2 liter.

ECU is Engine Control Unit (the computer that controls fuel and such)

TCU is transmission control unit (our autos are not fully mechanical)

Look at the block right between the power steering pump and alternator. You will see either ej22 or ej20
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If it's a fairly new engine with its correct engine management it may be OBD-II. If it is, it'll have green check connectors but require an OBD-II scantool to read codes. If they hooked up an OBD-II port, that is.

Can you locate the ECU? What do its connectors look like (how many connectors, how many pins on each connector)?

Where is the coolant tank mounted? Is it by the rear driver side or by the front passenger side? I don't think any cooling system problems trigger CELs, except maybe if an OBD-II car overheats.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

I think I located both ECU and TCU. If ECU is on the left side of the left side of the stearing column...and kind of transversal to the car...it has four yellow plugs diferent sizes and it has 2 rows of arround 40 pins. The TCU it's paralel to stearing column and mounted right on it. Am I wright?
By the acceleration pedal...on the side of the central console...it;s a black plug...I thought....maybe I am wrong...that's a diagnose plug. Does that tell you anything?
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

The coolant tank is by the rear driver side as you said. It's just on the right side of the plastic cover of the engine. So when you look at the engine is on its right kind of in it;s back. The dealer asked 120 CAD for that tank...and 60 for the engine plastic cover. Well...they wanted 160 Cad$ for a rebuilt driveshaft...but I got it with 77 :oops:

:evil: Just to let you know how stupid some can be. In the front diferential I found AT oil. Or am I stupid?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That sounds like the first-generation ECU.

That's a little odd that the coolant tank is in that location; only North American turbos had it there. How did the mechanic guy know it was a Japanese engine?

You found a single black plug near the accelerator pedal?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Does the engine have EJ22 stamped into it on the top front of the engine behind the crankshaft pulley? If it does, its a North American turbo.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

the macanic said that the heads are diferent.
The car is suposed to have the EJ22T....2.2 turbo engine. (I hope I didn't make any mistake)

The black plug that I found it;s wide...like 20 pins probably.

I have the haynes manual....but on the ECU schematics...they show orange wires for test plugs...starting first 2 or 4 pins...when I checked the car...the wires were yellow with orrange stripes...I am completly lost. I told you...i striped the tape of the wires all the way up and I didn't find the black test one wire to one wire conectors.
Can I see the error codes only with green conectors?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Okay, your first mistake is listening to the mechanic without checking.
If you posted pictures we could identify it.
Look for the block stamp.

Oh and "In the front diferential I found AT oil" could be caused by a failing seal! Drain it out and monitor it. Ive heard of three differen times that the front diff would fill up.

One time was personal. It REALLY sucked. We where swaping axles from a car that we planned to drop to the junk yard. We couldnt get the pin out so we decided to take the axle and stub together

SQUIRT a fricken 1 inch diameter tube of fluid started spraying out of the hole!!!! Both of us where soaked in a mix of 150k old tranny and differential fluid :?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Dumb question: Are you sure you were checking front differential dipstick and not the transmission dipstick?
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

I will check the diferential from time to time to see if any AT oil is getting in. At least now I am sure that is only 80W90 in it. (I empty it, so for sure I didn't check the AT instead of diferential)

I checked the engine today...by the alternator, whatever somewhere above the timing...it is stamped EJ22 (without "T", does that mean anything?)And a turbo is for sure couse u can hear it.

I have no ideea what to do next in order to find the black testting connectors. :(
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

Thx for the pic....I sow them allready and they helped me a bit. But not enough to find the "hidden" conectors:)

Does anybody has a real manual of this car? Service book? So I can see the wire diagram?

Although I already bought one...which sucks, I am willing to buy another one. A good one this time.

Do you think pics of what I see underneath there would help?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The Turbo engine is stamped EJ22, we only say EJ22T to help differentiate them. Most likely you got the normal turbo engine. Does the spark plugs come out at a 45 degree angle at the top with spark plug wires attached going to a coil mounted on top of the engine or do the spark plugs come straight out from the middle of the head with seperate coils?
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

Central coil with the sparkplugs at 45 degrees
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't think you have a Japanese engine. I think you have an EJ22T.

If you can't find the black connectors, you can accomplish the same thing as them by jumpering the wire going to the ECU's "read memory connector" pin to ground. Use this to find the wire:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/ecupins/