DONT DRIVE 100 mph IN THE SNOW! i learn the hard way

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

TurboLegacy
First Gear

DONT DRIVE 100 mph IN THE SNOW! i learn the hard way

Post by TurboLegacy »

i was driving on a semi-country road doing 100 up a hill. after i got over the hill i decided to slow down by coasting. but obviously that didnt work, i hydroplaned on the slush and slid through a slow bank at about 90. did a 180 and ended up in a ditch. i was 5 feet from a line of trees. i thought i was stuck, but i wasnt because of the beauty of subaru all wheel drive. i backed at an angle and floored it in first and drove side ways up the embankment until i was barely touching the road with my front tires when the caught in the dirt and i was on my way. it was the most exciting thing ive ever done, mainly cuz my car is fine. anywhere else and i would have been screwed. ill try to post pics soon.
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Why would you drive 100mph in the snow in the first place? What made that seem like a good idea?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

i love to drive fast , and i was having a craving. sometimes i eat very strange things when im hungry. i guess its a complex

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

screwed? more like dead. lucky you didnt find a cluvert or a field road hidden in the snow that could have flipped the car.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Every single one of us loves to drive fast. But we also know WHEN and WHERE and HOW to do it.

When it's snowing is definitely not WHEN, in a hilly area is definitely not WHERE, and 100 mph is definitely not HOW.

You need to take a couple days to sit and think about just how lucky you are to be alive.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Nomake Wan
Second Gear

Post by Nomake Wan »

Yeeep. Was going up a hill (dry, no snow) the same speed I always do (30~40MPH), same tires and all (winter tires, I had put them on and then winter came really late, oh well)... came to a chicane and went left fine, but on the right my car understeered toward the outside of the turn, which was a rock wall. I didn't panic and carefully applied the brakes, and my car stopped before hitting anything. I wasn't going all that fast, which was very good for me. My car doesn't have ABS, so that I didn't slam on the brakes was lucky too. I drove home and sat for a while, thinkin' about how lucky I was and how I wouldn't be driving on that road for a while... at least until I could get my summer tires back on.

But 100MPH in the snow!? That's insanity, man. This was dry conditions and my car did that. I can't imagine doing something on the snow at that kind of speed...
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/762395]1990 Legacy L (Sold)[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564067]1992 SVX LS-L[/url]
[quote="LaureltheQueen"]I like my automatic, it's fun to drink coffee and smoke civics at the same time[/quote]
schubaru
In Neutral

Post by schubaru »

wow. i just laughed out loud. but it was a laugh of idiocy. jeez, and i thought i drive faster than i should in the snow. :roll:
'91 N/A Limping Legacy

round and round she goes; where she stops; nobody knows!
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

dammit, it rained over night and almost all the snow melted. i hope my tracks are still there, im gonna be pissed if they arent. my friend went with me last night to take pics with his phone, but it was too dark.

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Uhh... what if there was another car on the road? It wouldn't have been too funny then would it? You got lucky that you didn't kill yourself of someone else.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Every day, I subscribe more and more to Steve's ideas of the evoloution movement.

Its one thing to be stupid and fuck up, it's quite another to be stupid and fuck up and risk killing yourself or others.

I hope you don't learn your lesson by losing your own life, or the life of someone else. You'll learn pretty fucking quick the ramifications of your actions when you are in court for manslaughter and have serious points on your license for Intent to Kill.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

It never ceases to amaze me that people put up threads that are essentially a brag about how stupid they were being and how lucky they are to still be alive :rolleyes:
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

HAHA.
And you thought we'd think you were cool for going 100 in the snow.
I'm not gonna rib you like everyone else, but you may have showed some poor judgement. Granted, I'm assuming you knew the area, and you put some kind of precautions in place, you just didn't bother explicitly declaring them in your post, right?
Glad you're okay, though. We don't need any tragedies at LegacyCentral, just yet. Well, I was planning on being the first, but.. all I'm saying, is, don't beat me to it, mmkay?

Have a Happy Holiday,
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I know I can say that I have had my times where I've gotten lucky, I'm sure we all have. However, most of these have been due to surprises ... you're lucky to be alive. I'm assuming you weren't driving in snow on 17's? The decision to go fast is always our choice, however, I decided a long time ago that I don't want to die bloody in a ditch on the side of the road. Glad you alright though, don't get me wrong, just be careful.
LedJetta
Vendor
Vendor

Post by LedJetta »

91legacy_sleeper wrote:HAHA.
I'm not gonna rib you like everyone else
well i am. :D

1) you are a retard for doing it in the first place.

2) for not even realizing how embarrassed and ashamed you SHOULD be to admit this in public, i say it may be time for darwin to condemn you and build on another site. :shock:
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I barely do 80 on deserted multi-lane highways in the snow. I couldn't imagine doing more than that even on the highway. There's a fine line bwteen balls and stupid. I always had a sense for how far I can push and an awareness of the consequences of a bad move or unexpected event and I've stillbeen caught out twice. Lucky for me, neither time was I going fast enough to get in trouble and the car and I would've survived if we hit something.

This is why I'm glad I had a slow car to start with. I taught myself car control before I learned to drive at speed. Even then, 65-80 in a GL can be like 130 in a performance car.

No one in America can wait. It's like those Karate studios that hand out belts at regular intervals to keep impatient lazy Americans paying up; you have to learn to drive slow before you learn fast and then when you do, you don't go as fast as you would since you know better.

And, Phil, we thank you for your support.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
G-reg
Second Gear

Post by G-reg »

Every once and a while a person escapes Darwin. Those who get away either wise up, or reschedule their appointment with the D man. It’s a whole other kinda stupid to brag about it on a bbs.
Missing a 92 L Wagon, Enjoying an 05 RS Wagon
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I get the feeling he'll be talking to him again. And how the hell do you have 12k miles on an 05?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Like everyone else already said, stupid man, real fuckin' stupid.....if it even happened that way. I'm not one to usually call bullshit but...well, I call bullshit. You can build it up and brag about it all you want but if you lost control at 90 MPH and went into a ditch your car would be fucked. No if's, and's or but's about it. I for one don't really believe it.

I drive fast in the snow, faster then most do or should or I probably even should. I run 4 studded Ultra Grip snow tires though and grew up in Oregon driving in snow since I could sit on my daddy's lap. I still wouldn't ever push a hundred in the snow though, if you had to get on the brakes or make an abrupt steering correction you're toast.

I like to drive fast, and I love driving in the snow but not enough to risk my life blatently like that.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]