No rear sway bar?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

schspeedster
First Gear

No rear sway bar?

Post by schspeedster »

Did not see a rear sway bar on my '93 L AWD sedan, must have been optional equipment that year. Are the mounting holes are there to install one, and does it make a big difference in cornering?

Whiteline sway bar links & new OEM mounting bushings = BIG improvement over worm OEM!!!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, for some stupid reason in the 92-94 MY's, subaru didn't put rear anti-sway bars in some models.

The holes are there and the bar can be added. It handle much better with the bar on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

You will need to get lateral links from a impreza or early legacy or 92-94 LS or turbo. There are also a few aftermarket endlinks that attach to the hub. The lateral links on your car dont have a bracket to attach the endlinks to.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Yeah, I have the same car and no rear sway bar. The 'L' models didn't have them. Check toward the end of my thread in the picture gallery to see the ordeal I've been going through trying to put on a 94 turbo legacy rear swaybar.

To clairfy, I'm using lateral links and endlinks from a 99 Impreza, an 18mm swaybar from a 94 turbo, and swaybar mounting brackets from an 02 WRX. They all fit, it's getting the old stuff off that causes problems. Also, the right swaybar bracket is really pissing me off.
peter@functionauto.com
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I had no problems getting the lateral links swapped, my car has no underbody rust and I haven't had any stuck fasteners

but given jamal's issues, it might be easier to make some tabs and weld them onto the lateral links, while in place. I was going to do just that until a set of lateral links fell into my lap for free

If you do go to swap them, spray them daily on both bolt ends with pb blaster or similar a week or two before starting, and arm yourself with a 1/2" breaker bar and large metric socket set, you'll need it. The bolt torque seems to be a couple hundred foot pounds which will challenge a 1/2" ratchet big time.

the holes in the body to mount the sway bar mounts may be obscured with underbody coating, but they are there.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
josh9227
In Neutral

Post by josh9227 »

just go to the scrap yard find a 90-91 take what u need shouldnt cost u more than $50. thats what i did for mine
ver 4 STI 300hp VF23....now td04 :-( dam shaft 4.444 spec c trany LTD slip plated diff SOLD
2002 forester S sport 5spd STOCK for now.....
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I discovered my granpa's 93 wagon doesn't have a rear swaybar either.

Now I know why it handles like ass :evil:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok