rear sway bar where there is none

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

sillyp
First Gear

rear sway bar where there is none

Post by sillyp »

I guess this question is directed mostly as legacy777. when you put on your rear bar, you got your parts from a turbo legacy right? Did you have to drill to install the mounts? Did the original bar hang down as low as that whiteline you installed later? Did your control arms come of a turbo model as well? My control arms are simple little bars - yours look more like tubes. What size bar would you suggest with stock springs and GR-2s, would 20mm front and rear be too big?
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The turbo legacy rear bar fitted right up, exactly the same bends. I had a rear bar before hand though. If you don't have a rear bar, you may need to do something......not sure.

The whiteline bar hangs down more then the stock one. Also the stock OEM endlinks worked fine with the turbo bar.

With stock springs and GR2 struts, the 18mm rear turbo bar was a very nice setup. I'd either say go with an 18 or 20 mm rear bar.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I had EXACTLY the same issue as you.

I ended up going with the following:

MRT rear adjustable control arms
Whiteline 20-24mm adjustable rear swaybar
Whiteline HD endlinks
Whiteline HD swaybar mounts

_Everything_ bolts up with almost no issue. But here is what you will have to get/modify:

-You will need 4 bolts (2 each) for the HD swaybar mounts so they can bolt onto the frame
-Two of the bushing inserts on the MRT control arms will need to be drilled out so that the stock bolts can fit through them
-You will need to buy two rear outer control arm bolts (20540AA010)

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
sillyp
First Gear

end links

Post by sillyp »

ok, they gave me two different bars. one is what looks like a 16mm, and it has larger eyes at the end with a bushing in it. the other looks like a 18mm and it has small eyes with no bushing. Id like to use the larger one but the end links that came with it were those plastic ones with two bushings, they don't work with my control arms.
hey josh, where did you get those endlinks are shown in the pictures of your whiteline rear bar? I think those would cure my problem.
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

they came with my whiteline bar.

If they are the ones that would work, you'll need to grab some end links from the old style bars.....however if your don't have the lateral links to match, they won't work.

You could just bolt the old ones to the side......
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

sillyp
First Gear

ehh

Post by sillyp »

I'm certain the 18mm bar they gave me came from a touring wagon. Does anyone know if there is a difference between the rear bar that came on the turbo sedan and the one that came on the touring wagon?
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

The wagon and sedan use the same rear swaybar.

Are your rear control arms like These
(bars)

or like These
(thanks josh :D)

The difference is that the older style like in the second pic, the endlinks actually mount through the control arm. The first pic, the endlink bolts to a bracket that is attached to the control arms.

If you have the plain bars w/ no endlink attachment point, then you will need new control arms.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

I have plain bars with no mounts, but i got a pair of those tube ones where the endlink goes though the control arm(like josh's). The bar ones with the mounts are only for wagons - they are actually longer. I know yours(mk750) are adjustable - but i can't afford those. How do you like them by the way? I think what i really need to do is poke my head under a turbo sedan and see what the end links look like. I'm sure they'll have em over at Superupair, they're supposed to be the nations largest subaru wrecker. hey josh you don't have any pictures of your old turbo bar installed do you?
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

wheres this superupair thing?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I like them a lot, the whole deal really tightened up my suspension. :)

The bar control arms with mounts are not only for the wagon. There are BC legacies with them.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

alright, i got some of the bar ones with the mounts. They seem to be the right length, the only problem is, they are slightly bent. I guess when they pick up the wrecked cars with the fork lift it bends em. i think i'll try em out, hopefully that bend doesn't cause any problems.
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

hey josh, is that the turbo bar in this picture? I noticed it has that bushing in the sway bar.
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/ima ... strut3.jpg
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yes that's a turbo legacy bar. Not sure exactly what year it came from, but I think the bar will be different if it has the different endlinks.

You can look at the parts lists from my site to verify when the bars changed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

well thanks for all the help. So i ended up just putting on the 16mm standard bar and the hollow control arms. just couldn't bare the thought of putting bent control arms on my car. The end links don't seem to have nearly as much slop as on the turbo bar, so i might be better off. plus those control arms seem tougher. maybe i'll try and keep the turbo bar and play with it later. The hardest part of the project was that front bolt on the right mount, I will not be looking forward to that one if i ever decide to upgrade to the whiteline HD mounts.
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Good to hear! I'm glad you were able to ge teveryhting installed, i know when i did mine some of the bolts were a real pain in the ass. :)

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

cool.....how does the car drive? I'm assuming you notice a difference correct?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

slightly less body roll, significantly less understeer. I'd prolly notice a bigger difference if i had lower profile tires. right now i'm using 195/70R14. Nice for bumpy roads, add some roll on pavement. Once i get some 15"alloys i'll prolly use 205/60, hopefully i can get some wheels cheap on ebay. Oh superupair found some straight skinny control arms, but they are still on a car, I'll prolly have em the middle of next week, then i can try the turbo bar. Both front and rear sway bar links have some slop to em, is it worth it to get the whitelines?
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson