Give your IC a pillow

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Give your IC a pillow

Post by rallysam »

A lot of us have our intercoolers mounted a really ghetto way: no brackets holding it on the engine like a WRX, instead our ICs basically just rest loose on the ignitor pedestal or firewall. So, when the engine vibrates or moves relative to the car body, the intercooler has to slide around or bang around. When I rallycross, I bet that thing probably flops around like a fish. I noticed that the underside of the intercooler ducts were wearing a bit in the spots where they make metal-on-metal contact with the ignitor pedestal.

To save wear and tear, I found a really easy fix. I got a piece of silcone sheet which is about 8" by 12" and just rested it under the intercooler. Done!

It's the orange sheet in the photo that I highlighted. I swiped mine from work. I'm sure you can find one on mcmaster.com

Image[/url]
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

I did this with my AWIC. It works great. Makes things much quiter.
I just used some closed cell foam.
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

Sounds like a good idea, I'll be doin this soon.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I have tons of room between my ic and everything else in my engine bay. Even with the weight of the water, it still stays very secure
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

I've been meaning to do something like this for a while, looks like an easy fix.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

LaureltheQueen wrote:I have tons of room between my ic and everything else in my engine bay. Even with the weight of the water, it still stays very secure
But what holds it in place? Does it bolt to something? My concern would be this - it might feel secure as hell when your car is sitting still, but what about when you do an autocross, go over bumps and/or pull 0.8G? A G is like having your car flipped onto its side. Would it flop? Maybe maybe not, because I don't know your setup. Just playing devil's advocate.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com