4EAT crank pulley installed!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

4EAT crank pulley installed!

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I picked up a Lightened stock diameter pulley last week and it finally got in yesterday. I was bored tonight, so I installed it.

What I found out:

1) Mr. Josh's lightened stock diameter pulley weighs less than advertised. The auction said 1.19 lbs, but I found mine to weigh in at a svelt ~1.125 lbs (even if my scale is off, that still puts it at weighing less than a Perrin!).

2) The easiest way to take off/put on the crank pulley bolt is to spray the shit out of it with PB Blaster and jam a BIG screwdriver through the little observation window dealie under the TB. I did this, and it came off with absolutely no fuss. I didn't even have to take off any vacuum hoses or any of the intake to do it, since my rubber plug was already off.

3) The stock pulley weighs in at a portly 4.5+ lbs.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend Mr. Josh's stuff. It went in with no issues, and cost much less than the competition's versions. It's almost a shame I had to put it where you can't see it that well because it looked so darn good.
Last edited by IronMonkeyL255 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Subaru for Life
First Gear

Post by Subaru for Life »

+1 :D

What color did you get?
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

so who's Mr. Josh? seen that before, bunno who what it is.

is it this? if not, anyone ever run one, it's damn cheap http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-01-94 ... enameZWD7V
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Here's the very auction I bought it from

Main reason I got this one is that it's still stock diameter, so I don't have to run different belts or worry about the alt/ps pump/ac compressor not working quite right.

Oh, yeah... I got the red one. It's a nice red. Less purple-ish compared to some I've seen. I was gonna get black, but the ricer in me decided to show off some.

If anyone wants, you can force me into taking some pics tomorrow.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Hmm. That's a mod almost worth doing. Too bad I'm bingo on money.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I have been buying $39 shipped! pulley lately for modifications. But they are underdrive and only come in plain old silver......
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Oh, yeah.... Is 125 ft-lb of torque good for the bolt? I would have used some Loc-Tite, but the only stuff I could find is probably older than I am, and seems to have lost its effectiveness.....

That's what I did it to, and it's a PITA to remove the fans if I have to re-torque it.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

A slight problem....

I noticed while my engine was running that my pulley seemed a bit wobbly. I pulled it off and found that it had lighly rubbed against the timing belt cover on the top/top left.

I think I had the accessory belts on a bit too tight, and this was pulling the pulley to the point where it could barely contact the cover.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Hopefully my pulley isn't warped any (it looks good, but I'm not the best judge of that kind of thing....). If noone has any other ideas as to what it could have been, I'm just gonna try to re-install it with the belts a bit looser this time......

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Oh, well.......

It seems to be shaking at the bolt, and the pulley seems to not be affected according to my rudimentary measurements.

I put it back it with the belts as loose as I felt comfortable with. It still looks like its wobbling a bit (may just be my imagination), but when any throttle is applied it looks fine.

I went ahead and put some paint on one of the spots where it looked like it rubbed the cover, so if it is still doing it, I can tell for sure what it was.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Subaru for Life
First Gear

Post by Subaru for Life »

That sound strange. Did you notice any play between the shaft and the pulley before you had tightened it? I could understand it if there was a play, but if it was nice and tight then it shouldn't wobble after it was tightened. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Pye
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Re: 4EAT crank pulley installed!

Post by magicmike »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote: 1) Mr. Josh's lightened stock diameter pulley weighs less than advertised. The auction said 1.9 lbs, but I found mine to weigh in at a svelt ~1.125 lbs (even if my scale is off, that still puts it at weighing less than a Perrin!).
The site says 1.19 not 1.9 That being said did you notice any improvment by doing this?
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I noticed my error after I had posted.

I have noticed a minimal improvement.

My theory is: It may only free up a minimal amount of HP now, but once I do more, the lighter pulley will allow for maximum impact of future mods.

There was no real amount of free play when putting it on. It fit nice and tight, but just loose enough for me to remove with my hands with minimal effort. The bolt went in nice and tight and had no issues being torqued up.

I will take it for a drive later and see if running it through the rev range causes it to rub any.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

once it is seated can you wiggle it?
once it is bolted can you wiggle it?
is the keyway too big?
is there a lot of runout?
ie what do you think is the problem with them?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Honestly, I don't see a problem.

The keyway doesn't seem too large.
It can only be wiggled minimally once in place.
It can't be wiggled at all once it's bolted down.
I set it on a table and slowly rotated it while carefully measuring the distance between the rim and the table, and that looks very good (I couldn't see any variations).

The only thing I can possibly think of is that the vibration was there before, but the rubber damper in the stock piece made it unnoticable.

I took it out for a spirited drive, and found the paint to still be right where it was before. Somehow the way tight belts must have caused it to momentarily touch, or it happened earlier in the car's life and I didn't notice.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What are you torquing the main crank bolt to?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

125 ft-lbs

I didn't see a definite number for what to torque it to, and this seems tight enough. I asked earlier and nobody answered......

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

I have the cheap ebay one, its treated me well but its really soft and has a tendency to stick to the keyway. Im going with a Mr. Josh on my next motor
tzedek
First Gear

Post by tzedek »

100 ft/lbs is good
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

110-120 is about what I'd recommend.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)