how-to: Change a transmission pan gasket

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

how-to: Change a transmission pan gasket

Post by jamal »

I have a leak coming from my automatic transmission and it seems to be from the gasket. It started leaking pretty heavily after my drive to Phoenix last weekend, so I bought a new gasket from SubieGal for $14 and today I put it on. If you would like to accomplish such a feat but have no direction, today you are in luck. Firstly you're going to need to take some steps to not get transmission fluid all over (but it will anyway).

This is how much leaked out in one day:

so I got myself a tarp along with the piece of cardboard I've been using:

You'll probably need a fluid receptacle, new ATF, a jack, some jackstands, and tools, like so:

And also a new gasket:

And also a refreshing beverage:

Yeah yeah I know it's evian but it's all my quasi-girlfriend will drink for some reason.

Crack the drain plug and then go do something else for awhile:

I did laundry.

Then you'll want to jack up the car to better reach the bottom of the pan.

See, there is tons more room.

Now wiggle under there and undo the seven million bolts that require a 10mm socket. I found a deep socket worked best. ATF will get EVERYWHERE.

This is where the magic happens:

Now put the sexy new gasket on and re-install.

Chilton's says 17-20 lb-ft. After I did that it was still leaking so I snugged them all down a bit more. Then I snapped off a bolt. Now it still leaks. Infuriating to say the least. It also seems to be leaking where the filler tube connects.

I guess I'll see how it works and then maybe ditch the gasket and use silicon. That's what the new Subarus use apparantly.

Follow-up:

I broght the car to a shop, and had them fix my broken bolt and seal the pan for $60.

The transmission still leaks, but not as much. I think it might be the seal on the front or the TC or maybe the housing is cracked. It's a piece of junk and I'm replacing it soon anyway. Can someone say neutral drops?
Last edited by jamal on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

the transmission fluid filler neck tube, it has a clip and a bolt bracket which holds it to the transmission housing. If you take the dipstick loose, you will see a little rubber O-ring at the bottom, and this is where it leaks. Get a new O-ring at napa, or the hardware store for like 70 cents. Then reattach.
The old O-rig will be mishaped, squeezed, deformed, cracked, hard.....

Both my cars were leaking at the O-ring, not the pan gasket.

a lot easier to check that first than to drop the pan.........
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
chayesfss
In Neutral

Post by chayesfss »

Didn't even know they made a gasket for the 4eat, mine had some type of special sealant on it, I cleaned it all of and added a high temp gasket maker. Seals great.