Crazy starting issues

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crazy starting issues

Post by Legacy777 »

Recently I've been having some weird issues with my car. The thing will not start some times in the morning.

However if I turn on the driving lights or headlights for a second I can start the car. This afternoon it wouldn't start no matter what I did.......I waited several minutes.....tried again and left the driving lights on and it started.

I had the battery and alternator tested. They both checked out as good. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of bad connection. I cleaned the battery terminals. I'm planning on trying to clean the ground points and pos. connection on the starter this weekend.

Other option after that is to run/replace the line goin to the starter for POS. I've got multiple lines for the other neg. leads, and pos lead from alternator.

Here's a more in depth thread cause I'm too lazy to type everything out
http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/forum/sho ... eadid=2447

any comments or suggestions
Last edited by Legacy777 on Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

humm, is the engine revving ? if so, check that nasty plug under the rear-seat, plug for the Gas Pump...

mine failed and car wouldn't start, but was intermittent..

We simply bypassed the plug with Radio-Shack el-Cheapo connectors
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Car runs fine....(well for the most part....not fuel related)

Actually trying to start it is where the problem lies. The starter won't even turn over at times.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Bad starter contacts? I bought my car with that problem... In the morning, it would only click, if you fiddled around with the key enough and had good reflexes, it would sometimes try to crank, and if you noticed and kept the key in the Start position, it just might turn over...

This was not a problem if you tried to start the car when the engine was warm though...

If that's so, get a rebuilt starter. I had mine installed for $130 about 2 1/2 years ago, although I could probably put the starter in myself now...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mine don't click......or at least I have not heard a click....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

So you turn the key to Start, and you hear absolute silence? No click, nothing? You must have a bad wire somewhere...I hear you, you're sayin' "No sh!t :o !"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

One thing to try is to see if 12 volts is leaving the key cylinder assembly. just drop the bottom half of the dash (the piece above your knees) and look for the main that goes to the key switch. there should be a plug there somewhere where you can stick a test light or multi meter and look for a wire that shows voltage only when you turn the key to the crank possition. It is possible that your key cylinder is worn. Hey if looking for an electrical problem, start from the source right? Good luck

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the tip.

I talked with a buddy yesterday and he made a comment about he was surprised my car wasn't cutting out. But it got me thinking.....if it were ignition of some sorts I would probably have cutting out issues. I can't see just the "start" position be bad on the ignition switch and everything else be good....but anything is possible.

Someone also recommended checking the fusable link and such.

I think what the plan of attack is going to be is checking/cleaning all contact points, taking the battery out and taking resistance readings from the battery terminal connectors to the starter, to all the ground points from the terminal connectors, and to the fusable link, before and after the link.

Those are all relatively easy things to do and should help eliminate some possible causes.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Legacy777 wrote:I can't see just the "start" position be bad on the ignition switch and everything else be good....but anything is possible.
Ignition switches are strange pieces of machinery. My first car, a Mazda 626, had a bad ignition switch, and I kid you not, the a/c and windshield wipers would not work at the same time... either one or the other...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

LOL that's funny.....I'll keep ya guys posted on what I find.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

That is funny! Josh what can happen in the ignition switch is that the key part wears a bit and will not quite turn the switch part of the assembly far enough to contact the start terminal at times. As far as curing this by turning your lights on might have something to do with the AC and windsheild wiper type of problem and that is far above my ability. It even of makes my head hurt just thinking about it.
AL(CO)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

hahaha......I'll let ya guys know what I find out later.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well it happened again tonight. I was however in the garage, so had tools and such at my disposal.

I did notice that when I turned the key I did not hear any clicking noise, however the dash lights DID dim when I turned the key to the START position. So I would think it's not the ignition itself, because there's still an amperage draw that is dimming the lights.

I tried fiddling with things a little bit. Then took a hammer and whacked on the starter. It started right up after that. So either it was just pure coincidence that it started up after me whacking on it......or possibly the solenoid is sticking, or something.

I tested the wiring to the starter. It had voltage to it.....actually i tested the ground loop. Didn't test the pos. loop.

Thoughts?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Holy old-ass thread, Batman! :lol:

Your lights dimmed, so that means juice is getting to your starter. That rules out anything like an ignition switch, AT neutral safety switch, etc. etc.

Here is something I've pondered before though. The starter, when you turn it to Start, just shoots the spinning gear at the flywheel/flex plate, with no guarantee that it will actually engage. Yeah it always seems to, but probability dictates that sometime, the teeth will not match up, and the gear will either just run into the flywheel and just stop, or make nasty grinding noises until it meshes with it. I wonder, could it possibly have just been the starter randomly hitting the flex plate, not meshing, and just stopping, while still drawing juice? And then when you bonked it, turned the gear ever so slightly, enough for it to mesh? I doubt that's what happened, but this seems to happen very rarely and randomly, can't rule it out :)

Other than that, if ya got an extra $150 layin around, get a new starter, drop the beotch in. And if it doesn't solve the problem, look at it this way: You at least have a brand-new starter 8)

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Ok, so you just rewired your car stereo, correct? Had you done anything to your stereo near the time this last did this? It's a long shot, but that is the last thing I know of that you did to your car... and it is electrical.

I second getting a new starter. That seems to be the only problem area, everything seems to be working fine. And check your photon barrier, one the main reflectors may have been knocked out of alignment :)

You can check recent posts on where to find it, it's in your trunk ;)
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I don't really have any positive information to add to this, but I have experienced something similar. It happens every once in a while and isn't a huge problem because the workaround is fairly easy in my case. I just shift the auto to neutral and it starts right up. It's been doing it for years now and I just haven't paid much attention to it as it's only about three or four times a year that it happens.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Legacy777 wrote:Then took a hammer and whacked on the starter. It started right up after that.
The hammer trick is usually the way to temporarily work around a stuck brush or solenoid, so I might suspect those... You may want to look into how much a local shop would charge to rebuild your starter. It might not be too much, and it could at worst give you some peace of mind. If you're lucky you might find a place that could do it for you while you wait.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the comments guys. I suspect like vrg3, that's it's a stuck brush or solenoid. The solenoid will make a clicking sound when it engages, and there was no clicking sound.

When I did put new contacts in I didn't necessarily do it the best because I had no garage...it was raining, and it was cold....

I will be needing a new starter when i do my MT swap....so I'm not going to worry about it. I'll probably get a reman starter when I do the swap for the piece of mind.

photon barrier....you smokin crack ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Just for kicks Josh, try putting the selector into neutral next time. I'm kinda curious if you're experiencing the same thing I am.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

i've tried that, and almost anything I could think of in the past.....didn't work. If it happens again....I'll give it a shot
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Cool. The problem I have hasn't been detrimental, I think that's why I've never really brought it up before. Let me know if that works for you next time.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm updating this thread. I took apart the AT starter solenoid today just to look at it, and compare to the MT. The MT had very little wear compared to the AT.

I noticed on the AT that I didn't get the contacts completely square with the solenoid, so it was only hitting on one side. This doesn't surprise me, considering I changed the contacts in the rain & cold under a carport. It was not fun at all.

You can see some of the pics I took of the starters at the bottom of this page
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... legswap/12
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here's the place where you can order the contacts
http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Sta ... neOrdering

You want to order 2 of the Type A smaller contacts

Or you could probably just give your local toyota dealer the following part # 28226-72010 and 28226-72080 and get them. Not sure what costs would be
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

subyluvr2212 wrote:Holy old-ass thread, Batman! :lol:
So, is it cured?
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah it's been cured.

I just updated the thread with current info on where to buy the contacts.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT