DIY: WRX coolant tank relocation and install.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Spitfire999
First Gear

DIY: WRX coolant tank relocation and install.

Post by Spitfire999 »

I know that there are a number of DIY threads for a coolant tank out there but when I did mine, I was unable to find any really good ones (some were good but had broken pictures), so here is mine, hopefully it will help someone out.

COST: ~45 (tank and hoses)
TIME: 60-90 min

1 - Remove the POS old black tank (Remove 2 larger hoses, and 2 smaller hoses)
And purchase a WRX tank (mine was from an 02 and cost ~30).

2 - People have mounted their tanks in different locations, however the most logical for me was exactly where the ABS unit mounts (front left). If you look down at it, you should see a bold that you have to remove.
Remove it.

3 - Next comes the mounting bracket. I wanted to make it as simple as possible, so that people who don't have many tools (and cant weld) can do it (and plus I like to live by KISS).

Start with a 90 degree metal bar (not sure the exact name for this, I had this bit laying around).
This metal bar is going to attach to the ABS and straight up to the coolant tank.

We guessed the length, and just cut it down until it was the optimal length, which turned out to be 7 1/8th Inches long (7in will work fine). Next part is to drill a hole for the ABS bolt. Keep in mind that when attaching this bar, the 90 degree bend will be towards the back of the engine (with the lower inlet on the reservoir tank will be on the right side at the front).

The second hole will be drilled at 5 3/4th inches from the bottom. To get an accurate location simply place the tank on the metal strip and mark it. When placing the tank on the bar, make sure to tilt it just slightly so that it sits in the 90 degree corner.

Next comes the second hole. Attach the tank to the bar (I used 8mm bolts all around I think). Then, you can drill another hole for extra security, that runs through the tank and through the metal bar. (see picture above)

Before you can bolt in the other bolt, you may need to grid it down a bit so the bolt will be flush (I just used an angle grinder, and a dremel)

Like I said, when this is done, simply use 2 8mm bolts to secure it. Simply place the tank in the engine bay, and wiggle it onto the bolt sticking out of the ABS and tighten it up. It should look something like this.

Next comes the hoses. You should have pulled 2 large hoses of (1/2 inch maybe) and 2 smaller ones (1/4 inch maybe). You will need to go out to advanced auto or somewhere to buy some more hoses (just take the samples you pulled off with you, they will hook you up). I picked up 6 ft of the bigger hose, and 3 feet of the smaller one for about 12 bucks. (Your lengths might different, I had some of the 6 ft left over, and wanted to replace more of the smaller one, so I ran out of that)

To make this easy I tried to color code everything
Image 1 is the path of all the hoses in stock location.

The next 2 images are how they will be routed when the tank is in the new location.

Some notes.
The red hose can be simply ran from the plastic tank across the front, to the coolant tank. I decided to make use of where the blue hose use to go and connect it to the metal pipe that runs across the manifold (as seen in the picture).

The best way to do the purple hose is to thread a metal wire through the pipe and use that (and a screwdriver so it doesn't get caught on screws) to pull it under the intake manifold and between that and the alternator and what not.

The green hose simply runs from the turbo, between the black intake and the intake manifold and just over top to the tank.

And obviously the blue one simply goes from the radiator to the tank at the front.

Fill it up, I didn't even bother burping it, it should be fine. Keep topping it off while it idles, until its at the right level.

Note: Use the cap from the legacy tank, not the one from the wrx tank, they have different pressure ratings.

That it, you should be all good to go.

Good luck and post back with any questions.

Much love
Ben

Special thanks to Matt and Dad
Last edited by Spitfire999 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

That is incredibly similar to the way I mounted mine.

I removed the various pipes and ran new hose, plus I flipped the fitting on the coolant return from the turbo and bent it so it pointed more upwards.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

YOU ARE AWESOME!
:smt038
i needed this BAD.
i cant understand anything unless there's pictures involved :cry:
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Right on, I'm gonna sticky this one.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Very cool!
Thanks for the write up!!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Spitfire999
First Gear

Post by Spitfire999 »

I'm glad you guys find the thread useful. Hopefully I'll have a similar write up for the WRX top mount in a few weeks.

Oh, and I'm hosting these photos using photobucket, if for some reason they go down because I exceed the bandwidth, let me know, and I'll rehost them asap.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I've made an album on the LC Gallery with the images, just in case:

WRX Coolant Tank relocation and install
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

Anyone been able to do something similar on the post-facelift ABS system?
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

For the record you don't have to relocate the oem tank to install the 06/07 tmic
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

SubaruNation wrote:For the record you don't have to relocate the oem tank to install the 06/07 tmic
You should do a write up on how to do that.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up wrote:
SubaruNation wrote:For the record you don't have to relocate the oem tank to install the 06/07 tmic
is there demand for it?

OH!
dude, sorry for the hijack 1st but aaron, i got my tmic TOTALLY done today!
i was stoked... SO stoked that i washed my car. ha haa..for the 2nd time this weekend :lol:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Going to unsticky this thread since it is listed in the Sticky compilation thread
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=20391
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

SubaruNation wrote:
asc_up wrote:
is there demand for it?

OH!
dude, sorry for the hijack 1st but aaron, i got my tmic TOTALLY done today!
i was stoked... SO stoked that i washed my car. ha haa..for the 2nd time this weekend :lol:
Not necessarily, but if there's a way to do it you may as well post it. Just so people can decide which way would be easier for them to do it...
-Aaron

Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

Running what type of adapter flange for the BPV? My adapter i made to fit an OEM wrx BPV would be in the way.
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Threshld1 wrote:
Running what type of adapter flange for the BPV? My adapter i made to fit an OEM wrx BPV would be in the way.
ha ha as economists say "it depends" :D
mostly it's all up to you.
ill post a thread on how that is done with a link to ALOT of my install shots.

:smt116
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

can someone telll why changing this coolant tank what are the benefit?
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Plastic breaks, metal don't.

Ususally. :)
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

more room to fit a TMIC.

i need to do this. my 3 dollar fix on my tank has been holding for a few years but i am not sure i want to trust it much longer and i really want to get my V.2 TMIC on my car.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

A metal tank just went on Ebay for $5. Steal.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
Justins91ss

Re: DIY: WRX coolant tank relocation and install.

Post by Justins91ss »

D to buy the "new revised" coolant overflow tank from subaru $130 later.. Ill post pics after i get it set up, sooo sick of smelling coolant all day f u stupid nipple on the old one.
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Not to hijack ur stuff man.. but dose anyone know where i can get a metal tank? i have been looking for what feels like ever now. (Just as everone else all three nipples broke of my stocker... MY Metal air fitings and jb weld job has held kinda but its to far gone) I need to do this so i can get my TMIC on also its just sitting there.. grr.. Also where can i get a turbo inlet elbow? Please let me know.. By the way Nice right up just what the doc ordered.. lol.. When you get to that TMIC let us know bro! Thanks :-D
Justins91ss

Post by Justins91ss »

Handlewitcare, the new oem black "plastic" units look like good uality just pricey both that and my inlet broke, so am going to have them replaced. I might as well get all silicone for the inlet and intake tube so i wont have to deal with it cracking or breaking again. I honestly dunno where the metal ones are available at i looked online and jusy seen "universal" catchcans/overflow tanks.
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Yeah thats all i can find also :( i need something soon.. This Thead would be so much better if it had a link to a page that you can find the tanks.. As far as the intake pice for now i have duck tape :wink: but i need soon. Im plaining on picking up a TD04 soon If its worth it.. lol if i pick up a silcone intake for the stock vf11 will it fit the td04? Im goin to try to find a place that constantly sells these things so we can have a link.. if someone has been here before.. wich im sure most have.. Help us fellow subie fam.. :-D
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Quick search on ebay usually does the trick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-I ... ccessories

$44 after shipping

This site has tons of generic silicone.

http://siliconeintakes.com/
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Justins91ss

Post by Justins91ss »

Have never bought anything off ebay before. Only pay in cash. Ill drop it off at pia and let steve work his magic on it = problem solved..Yeah mine looks NOtHiNG near like that its tiny/black lil tank
Last edited by Justins91ss on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.