Car journal subforum?

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Car journal subforum?

Post by jamal »

I occasionally see sites with a section where members can post a journal of sorts for their cars. Have we ever thought of adding a section like that? People generally seem to like talking about themselves and right now most things end up spread all over the place. I think it'd be nice for people to have their own threads to keep track of things.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Good idea. A thread where we can kind of keep a build guide? We all like being attention whores anyways.
SUBARUEHS Racing
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

jamal is the biggest attention whore ever! :lol:
jamal wrote:jamal...

(okay I actually am)
yeah i think the best place for this would be under our profile, you could get to it by clicking on our screen names.

most of us (all pretty much) have our own little threads in the picture and multimedia gallery.
i do and that works too, but if you're looking specifically for what someone did( to their car and when and how and with what tools) then getting that through a "journal" would be a better idea.

i think it would be more organized that way
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

More or less....to me it sounds like something you'd put on a website about your car. Which seems like a more appropriate place.

You know what's going to happen...people are going to post comments, it will be a more or less free for all. It will essentually be like a myspace or what not.

This is my opinion....not Dave's, but we already have the ashtray, the misc, and picture gallary forums where this kind of stuff already takes place, or could take place. I don't really feel it's necessary to create another forum for it to take place. Plus, I think if you want the feel/dyanmic of having a journel and feedback, why not use myspace, or some other service, or create your own website.

That's my feelings, however, I'll let Dave give his thoughts if he wants.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

I think a build forum would be nice. Alot of people don't have access to a personal website, or the know-how to blog their build. A forum is a perfect medium however Im sure if it existed there would be maybe 4 or 5 people that would post in it.

And realisticly, there isn't a forum that is suitable for a build thread. The MISC area is probably the only one I would think of finding one in.
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Typically people do a build on engines, or maybe suspension, transmission, etc. Usually that doesn't all take place at one time....sometimes, but most of the time no. Again I don't see why you can't just post in the specific forum. If you've got something that spans multiple topics, post in the Misc forum.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

I see build threads in the engine forum all the time. Not so much in the suspension forum.

From a readers point of view, if I wanted to see a build thread I would have no idea where to look. Chances are I would just have to stumble upon it.

Usually i am against aditional forums. But I think this one has potential. Maybe rename the community projects forum to incorporate members & their cars somehow. That forum doesnt see alot of traffic and IMO a members car is a big piece of this community.
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

This is something I'll take into consideration, cause it's a good idea, but there's no really, really good way to do it.

NASIOC has tried this, and if the largest Subaru forum in the world can't do it...maybe we can.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, our being smaller than NASIOC is also an advantage...

I'm not sure if I think this is a good idea or not, but if we do want to do it, the best way I can think of is to do it in parallel with the BBS. You could install a blogging engine on the server to go with the phpBB installation. LiveJournal's engine, for example, is open-source and free, if I remember right. Maybe only give blogging access to users who commit to updating regularly.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Yeah here there wouldn't 20 pages of threads and replies.

I actually do keep a website with stuff I've done to my car but I don't think anyone actually goes to it.

I don't know if I would want to maintain a separate blog though, where we'd have to set up new accounts and all that crap. Dreamhost does seem to have a one-click install blog though.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

off the top of my head..

you could somewhere have a "acomplishments" or something section and have all the mods that people have done and then list their screen names to refrence help from them, and from the usernames you could have the journal info from above also to go into further accomplishment/origress detail.

eh?
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

vrg3 wrote:Well, our being smaller than NASIOC is also an advantage...

I'm not sure if I think this is a good idea or not, but if we do want to do it, the best way I can think of is to do it in parallel with the BBS. You could install a blogging engine on the server to go with the phpBB installation. LiveJournal's engine, for example, is open-source and free, if I remember right. Maybe only give blogging access to users who commit to updating regularly.
I think thats a good idea too. It should tie in with the phpBB database so current members do not have to re-register for a 2nd service.

Looking at the rotating members image in the upper left... it makes me want to know more about the car and what was done. I think if used propperly this could be a very valuable tool.

There are a couple cars i would like to know ALOT more about... like Douglas & SHTBXR22's.
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Jamal, you should put your website in your sig! I'd love to go peep it but this is the first I've heard of it.

I Googled "Jamal Legacy" and this is what i got... :-D
http://www.manbehindthedoll.com/JAMAL.htm
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

It's in my profile so the link below my posts goes to it.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

TheSubaruJunkie wrote:
There are a couple cars i would like to know ALOT more about... like Douglas & SHTBXR22's.
amen to that! :D
Last edited by SubaruNation on Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The big issue with having something integrated into the BBS is that with any upgrade, you have to reapply the hack or mod that you've done. Depending on the hack/mod, this can be a pain.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Legacy777 wrote:The big issue with having something integrated into the BBS is that with any upgrade, you have to reapply the hack or mod that you've done. Depending on the hack/mod, this can be a pain.
well why not take an app that's already included and manipulate it?

like just make a new section then have the people's screen names that only they can log into or whatever and go from there.

i guess this sounds alot easier than it is :lol:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There aren't really apps that are included. The basics are here to create forums, etc. that's about it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Legacy777 wrote:There aren't really apps that are included. The basics are here to create forums, etc. that's about it.
right, but for example..

can't you just take the "intercooling" thread and re name it, then have people put their stuff in, and lock it so there would be no abuse or whatever.

like have people submit the code to you or DLC then you just initiate it?

and people browsing other people's forums could only quote and comment on other's "sections" if you will, and edit their own "section" about their car & setup..

i'm not sure about my wordage so i used the quotes :roll:
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

DLC arent you planning on moving to PHPBB3?
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I'm a bit confused, but I know the general idea of what you'd ideally like to have done.

It'd be perfect to have an individual forum for every user who has a legitimate project, with a thread that only he/she can modify, with a separate place for people to comment on.

That's very, very complicated and overkill. It would mean multiple forums and subforums per user, which is just too much.

It's not feasible, to my knowledge, to allow per-user posting priviledges to a thread. If that changes in 3.0 I'll look into it.

We'll be moving to phpBB 3, but that's still in the distant future. It's a simple upgrade, until the modifications I've done to this version are taken into account.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Reason I asked, was with the conversion to phpBB3, you could incorporate a mod that would accomplish this task.

Im sure there have gotta be plenty out there.
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

whoa whoa that is overkill, you can have posts and stuff in the same place as the forum info. but just have each person have their own section individually, no separate "this is what i did" and "what do you think" within each. they could be 1 like we have now eh :D
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Feel free to look for mods that'll do this.

http://phpbbhacks.com/
Legacy Central
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/5390

Take a look at that. Looks like it runs independantly of phpBB so i imagine it will take no hacking of the actual phpBB install. But still detects phpBB logins and logouts.

I can run a test version on my phpBB and check things out. Who wants to be my guinea pig?
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner