Thoughts on removing clutch damper?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Thoughts on removing clutch damper?

Post by rallysam »

Hi all - long time no talk! Just back from London visiting my old car and doing a little work on it.

Those who've bypassed the clutch damper: Did you ever have any problems later? Any tranny problems due to the "less damped" clutch?

I read the searches, but it's been a while since there was much talk about it. I read that vrg3 did it and blew his tranny (although that could be unrelated). I know Legacy777 did it. No issues since?

Anyone else?

For background: I'm running an aftermarket ACT clutch which might be hard on the tranny, but the car doesn't get launched anymore (rarely driven at all!). Why I'm thinking about removing the damper: my clutch hydraulics have always had this problem where it leaks air into the system and needs to be bled occasionally - but I never found the leak. I already replaced the master cylinder and didn't help. That's why I'm thinking I might as well bypass the damper. I don' t know if the damper is the problem, but i figure - one less old part to leak, one less hose to leak.

Thanks!
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Yep, bypass it and call it a day. No other Subaru's have one.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I haven't had any issues. Go for it.

Actually newer WRX's have a damper (or delay) valve built into the slave cylinder. I was reading something about it on nabisco the other day.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1541924
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Hmmm... I just tried and seem to have a problem. The hose from the slave cylinder to the damper is too short to reach all the way to the master cylinder.

Any ideas?

Is this a pre-facelift issue? L777: Did you do this with post-facelift parts? I read somewhere that post-facelift has a soft hose all the way from the slave cylinder to the damper, whereas I have a hardline part of the way, then only a short length of hose between the hard line and the damper.

To make things more exciting, I also had a black bear sniffing around the trunk while I was under the hood. Minor heart attack!
'00 Impr RS - sold
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I didn't use any of the stock hoses, I used a SS braided line with some AN to banjo fittings.

Info is on my swap write-up page, but here's the jist of it

Stainless Steel braided clutch line

Manufacture: Earls
Part Number: 63011714
Vendor Baker Precision
Cost $28.33

AN to banjo fittings (qty. 2)

Part Number: 997631
Vendor Baker Precision
Cost $11.74

Banjo bolts (qty. 2)

Part Number: 977517
Vendor Baker Precision
Cost $11
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Thanks for the info.

I think you have a post-facelift slave cylinder? I don't think my slave has a banjo fitting. It has a hard line leading to it, and I can't quite see the coupling, but I don't think it's banjo. I might have to cook up some variation on what you did. For now, looks like I'm just bleeding it and leaving it be.

-Sam
'00 Impr RS - sold
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I believe I have a post-fast lift slave...

I think I recall looking at the parts book and seeing that the 91 MY had a hard line to it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

After tons of bleeding, it's no better. Can't hardly shift. Oh well, I will order parts and replace them on my next visit in September.
'00 Impr RS - sold
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The WRX got it in mid 03 because so many Americans who previously owned Civics didn't know how to drive and constantly killed first/second gear. If your 02 WRX went in for any warranty work after 2003 you were most likely retrofitted to it.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I think they knew how to drive but gave the tranny more credit for strength than it deserves.
A few launches & power shifts & next thing you know you just made a 4spd!
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

BXSS wrote:I think they knew how to drive but gave the tranny more credit for strength than it deserves.
A few launches & power shifts & next thing you know you just made a 4spd!
Then why did the Subarus in other countries (with even more power and older transmissions) not have as many problems?
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Manuals are more common in other parts of the world, so in general they drive with more experience?

I read in evo magazine that the Legacy RS was known for having a weak transmission. So maybe this problem has always been there, we just don't hear about it as often.
90 L+ wgn
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The problem HAS always been there. The basic gist of the Subaru 5-speed manual transmission has been the same since 1989. Few revisions, almost none of them for improved strength have come about over the years.

The "higher output" older cars all had shorter final drives, which does help preserve the transmission. The US was the first to get high output with a 3.90 final drive. It's the target demographic. American's like long gear ratios like the old V8 muscle cars had. Taller final drives and more power put more strain on the gearsets, and they pop like zits. The gear revision in 06 warranted a 3.70 final drive, and we've been seeing more and more 06/07's break recently.

Remember, the fastest stock 5-speed Subaru's in the world only do 11's. Our PPG cars are almost in the 9's now.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

As stated above the non-US 5spds are better @ handling power for whatever reason (Final Drives...) & even then the trannys are consider weak compared to other cars.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD