How to turbo a NON-turbo?? :?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Should i keep my 1991 Subaru Legacy L Non-Turbo??

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 12

Fatboy61717
In Neutral

How to turbo a NON-turbo?? :?

Post by Fatboy61717 »

I want to do something to gain horse power to my 1991 sedan L 2.2L. It is a non turbo. I need ideas and part names of WHAT WILL WORK.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

If you do not know what is needed to turbo your car then you probably are not ready to take on the project.
I turbo'd my 2.2l OBS, but I had a few turbo cars before that project & knew how to get it done.

That said I was able to run a slow but quicker than stock (17's) 16.32 seconds @ 83-84MPH in the 1/4 mile with the 2974lb (with me in it) OBS when it was N/A with a fresh tune-up + a few cheap mods.

1. Intake (I'd K&N your stock box)
2. L/W Crank pulley
3. Grounds
4. 2 1/4" high flow cat + WRX exhaust (sounded like crap on WOT & did nothing to better acceleration times)
5. Redline fluids in engine, tranny, rear diff
6. spare / jack out of the car for the runs + 1/4 tank of gas = Light-weight

I was shifting @ redline like a moron, I bet the car could have run 15's if I had shifted @ 5500rpms....
It must have been fate as if the car broke into the 15's I was not going to turbo it.
It did not so I turbo'd!

My 2.2 is a MAP phase II so it is different than phase I 2.2s but you should feel an improvement with the simple & cheap mods listed above.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

^ I want to see pics of your OBST.
SUBARUEHS Racing
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I have a few crappy pics lets see what I can Do...
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Found a few pics, now I need someone to post them for me....

If you want to turbo a dual port 2.2E you will minimally need

1. a turbo
2. a turbo exhaust manifold / up-pipe
3. a downpipe
4. a GOOD high volume/pressure fuel pump
5. all lines & fitting needed to fab turbo oil feed & drains (you could probaly use the turbo oil & coolant feeds & drains with some sweat)
6. possibly a turbo waterpump - ? if the NA one will clear the e-manifold
7. some way to get extra fuel into the motor on boost - could be simple like a FMU on your stock N/A injectors or exotic like 1000cc injectors + standalone engine management
8. some form of intercooling

You could also wire in a ej22t ECU & use it with its sensors (all that differ from the n/a motor like the MAF....) & 370cc injectors to get things running....
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

here are BXSS's shots:

Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ya that car is so so HAWT BXSS mmmmmm
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

With flame suit on....

Unless your current car is very CLEAN, I would just sell it and buy an SS/TW. The current price point of decent turbo Legacies is probably very close to the cost of the parts to turbo it yourself.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Thanks for posting the pics for me SubaruNation!!!!!

The Pics above are of my OBS-t which is a '99 Impreza OBS with a Turbo'd 100% stock (never opened up the motor - stock heads, Stock head gaskests, super high compression) 2.2e.
It still passes OBDII emissions inspection, has NO cels, & has been running around with boost since '04.

The underhood pic of my wagon is an old shot showing the TMIC+Alky injection set-up.
I just put the FMIC set-up on the car a few weeks back.

I actually voted keep it NA & agree with PhyrraM - SS's are soo cheep you are better off just getting one.
Last edited by BXSS on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Very clean wagon! I like it. I'm impressed that the 2.2 has held up with boost for so long.

What lip and sideskirts?
SUBARUEHS Racing
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Thanks.
The lip is off a V4 Type R, side skirts & mini spats are the $120 E-bay Oricari 6 piece Kit (the front spats are still on my stock bumper, ? if I spelled the company name correctly, but they are pretty well known)

As for the motor lasting more than 5 minutes - it is a 2.2 & these motors seem to like boost MUCH more than N/A 2.5s.
+
I've been alky injected for about 3 years now (10/08 will be exactly 3 years spraying).
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

A friend of mine just used a turbo maniflold, made his own up pipe for a T3 or something along those lines, a RRFPR, some injectors, a top mount, and that's about it. He runs somewhere around 10-12psi or so, and makes about 200whp on the 22E in his impreza L. He beats on it quite regularly. It runs fairly rich, so there's probably plenty still on table, but he doesn't want to push his luck.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m