Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Wheel stud replacement

Post by PhyrraM »

Tire shops. Grrrrr. :x
This is what I did for the rear.

'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice write up!

Getting the parking brake back together sucks.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

Sweet write up man! What the hell did the tire shop do?
Matthew aka F[b][color=red]k[/color][/b]yx
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan "Jillian" - [url=http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=39548]EJ20G swap[/url]
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Nice write up!

The one thing I'd like to add...MAKE SURE and re-tighten your lug nuts after a few miles. Just in case the stud wasn't pressed in all the way...don't forget!
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Not sure exactly what the tire shop did, but I assume it had something to do with monkeys and impact wrenches. :smt021 The first time I pulled the wheels after the tire shop installed them I could tell it would be the last time I would be able to do that without more damage. I was in a pinch so I begrudgingly forced the lug nuts back on, knowing they wouldn't come back off in one piece. I just made plans to fix the damage as soon as I could.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I wish this thread existed when I had to replace a stud on the rear of the old Legacy. What a PITA w/o this helpful How-To. Good work!!!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Excellent writeup and pictures.

When I replaced my lug studs, though, I didn't disassemble the parking brake. If I remember correctly, I just took the wheel and brake rotor off and then removed the tone wheel bolts and there was enough room to wiggle the studs in and out around the loose tone wheel.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yeah, I have never disassembled the parking brake to remove/install a wheel stud. I don't have ABS, so I don't have a tone wheel to worry about, but it appears that you can even get around that, as Vikash has said.

However, I do want to give fair warning about hammering wheelstuds out, or taking a hammer anywhere near the hub:

Subaru wheel bearings are crap, and if you look at them the wrong way, they go bad.

Four of the six I've replaced have been due to 1) hammering wheelstuds out or 2) hammering against a stuck-on wheel.

My advice is this:

Grind the broken wheelstud down until it's just a small piece. Reinstall the wheel on the remaining 3-4 lugs, and lower the car to the ground completely. Then, grab a socket extension and align it against the wheelstud remnant in the wheel hole. Then have at it with the hammer.

I've done that before with much more favorable results. It seems that by doing so, you're using the weight of the car as leverage against the wheelstud, not the wheel bearing.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That's good advice there, and a really smart idea!

Of course, the right way to remove these studs is with a press, not a hammer, because hammers are unkind to bearings.

But that's clever about putting the car back on the ground... Never woulda thought of that.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

I would have bought a new car.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

It is true that hammering out the studs is a good way of brinelling the bearings. I do this type of stuff for a living and have developed over the years (and many damaged bearings) a good feel for how much is OK and how much is too much.

One "medium-sharp" hit should get it moving, if it does not then placing the wheel (and rotor to add more mass) back on will help it to absorb the beating.

For the perfectionist, lug studs are usually made of very soft material and can be drilled out much easier than most bolts.

When I get the chance I will re-edit the pics to add your contributions.