Kbeefy's first Subie

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kbeefy
First Gear

Kbeefy's first Subie

Post by kbeefy »

Can't do a build Journal so I thought I'd throw something in here, maybe mods can move it if I get permision.

I was looking for a car to try out some ice racing, stumbled upon a 1992 Legacy SS and picked it up for $1800. The hood is crunched and transmision was a little notchy but it ran and drove good.

Bought some Blizzaks, threw a ratchet strap on the battery and went ice racing.

Took first in class and first overall my first time ever ice racing. It seems that I was the only AWD guy there who actually knew how to drive on ice.

Unfortunatly, the last heat of the day, I was catching up to the lead car (I always start in the back to make it fun) and the track was getting super polished. Every time past corner two I was getting closer and closer to eating the snow bank.... well, 2 laps left and I pushed too hard. I knew I was gonna hit the bank, but figured if I could get into 1st gear before I hit I could probably power through it without losing too much time and might still be able to finish the pass. I tried rev-matching, clutched and stuffed it into gear, but all I got was a bunch of grinding. Darn. Don't do that again. Managed to get out of the snowbank and finished second.

Well, after that I couldn't get it into first anymore. Darn. Took it home and parked it. Tinkered with it a bit, finally decided the transmision needed to come out.

Found my 1-2 selector hub was hammered, the teeth were actually kinda mushroomed over preventing it from sliding into 1st.

I replaced the hub and 1 and 2 synchros, should have replaced more but was kinda in a hurry.

A local guy (NA Legacy) had a new flywheel and clutch he couldn't use, so I figured since the tranny was out I might as well do a clutch.

Also found a WRX 3" TBE used from a local forum member, had it lengthened about 2" and bolted it on.

Test drove the car, 1st gear is back and it sounds cooler.

Didn't like the understeering this thing was doing, so I got a whiteline adjustable rear swaybar and ALK, installed those, added some extra camber bolts up front, it's driving alot better now.

Was bored last weekend, decided to pull out the snorkus.
Also went shopping and found (I believe) enough stuff to do the cofee cup mod.

Since I was diggin around beside the engine, I pulled all the plugs and set the gap about .030. Some were as worn as .070.
Also installed a manual boost controller and a boost gauge I had sitting around.

Holy cow. The car was fun to drive before, the dang boost comes on so hard now it's scary. I test drove it a little bit, trying to dial in the MBC, but it's still hitting 12psi with a few spikes to 14psi and fuel cut. It was late so I parked it but I'll get it down to 10psi before I do more than a test drive again.

The shop called today, my GC sleeves and coils showed up. I've had a set of KYB AGX's in the shed for a while, got started on that project tonight. Started in the back as I'm still waiting on camber plates to show up for the front. Went pretty smooth once I figured out I have to pull the rear seat.

I don't have a spring compresser, so the rears are in the truck and will go to work with me tommorow for the buildup. Hopefully I can start on the front tommorow.

Paul Eklund from Primitive racing is coming up this weekend to put on a rallyX school, hopefully I'll be back together for that.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
'87 Mustang GT roadracer, to many mods to list
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

PM Legacy777 or DLC for permission to start a build thread, just started mine myself. And welcome to the boards!
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

Didn't like how the coilover sleeves fit the struts, so I modified them a bit.

Didn't have time to pull the fronts tonight, hopefully early enough tomorow to get to the compressor before closing time.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

So how hard is it to replace a synchro... ive got 1 2 and 3 goin out, 2 sounds the worst at the moment... and what "special" tools (if any) or parts would i need
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

2nd gear synchro in my metro is completely gone. It's real gay. It will only go into gear if you're going about 15 mph and if you leave the clutch in too long before you put it into 2nd it won't go in at all.

Gotta double clutch it every time.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

cj91legss wrote:So how hard is it to replace a synchro... ive got 1 2 and 3 goin out, 2 sounds the worst at the moment... and what "special" tools (if any) or parts would i need
Not too bad, that part of the mainshaft isn't shimed at all. You gotta pull the trans and split the case, theres some pretty good writeupes on that. The mainshaft pulls right out, then starts the work. Theres a couple nuts on the end you need to get off (I don't want to say how we did it, but I put it back together with a vise and a couple 2x4's cut to fit.

After that a bearing knife and a press and you can pull everything apart.
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

finally got all the struts installed. Pretty nice, dive/rise and body roll are all but gone on the short test drive I took last night.

There was some noise coming from the front, I'm guessing it's the coils rubbning the sleeve but I'll take a look today when it's light out.

Hopefully have pics tonight.
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

so heres the before/after shots, can hardly tell a difference without a tape measure.

Measurements from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fenderwell:

Front: 14 5/8" before, 15 1/2" after

Rear: 14 1/2" before, 15" after

The adjusters are as low as they will go, and it's tiny bit higher than stock. This is good, as my intentions are to add a little lift, I'm just waiting on camber solutions for the front. There are some Camber plates en-route, when those arrive I'm planning on going up approx 1 1/2" more in the front and 1" in the rear, or whatever combination gets the car a bit more level and still allows me enough camber to keep the tires looking decent.

If anyone is wondering, I got 12" coils, 10" coils would lower the car 0-2" depending upon spring rate.
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

Installed my VRG inspired FCD, boost is set about 10-10.5 psi. Everything is working nicely.

Attended a rallycross driving school today, taught by Paul Eklund from Primitive Racing. Pretty cool, car throws dirt well. I think I got second fastest time of the day, after a dang impressive driver in a much newer car.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

sounds like you can really drive!
however after seeing those wheels i think its possible that you may be colorblind. :P
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

Theres a story behind those wheels. Not very long or interesting, but a story non-the less (what kind of gramer is that?!).

Regaurdless, rallyX has left it's mark on those rims. Actually, it left many marks... Looks like the rears got hit with )) buckshot now. I wanted Blue on the car anyways, I'll use this as a reason to refinish those things.

As far as who can drive, all I'm gonna say is I can usually hold my own. It was icy on the way home and things got a little sketchy before I realized it was slippery.
dwreck30
Second Gear

Post by dwreck30 »

You can definetly hold your own! You looked good out there, makes me wish I had one of my SS's back. I feel bad beating on the STi, but she likes it!
- Derek
'06 STi
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

Your here?

Thanks Derek, You were definatly setting the bar pretty high, I really enjoyed watching you drive. I don't say that often.

Dwreck30 is the aformentioned 'dang impressive driver'
dwreck30
Second Gear

Post by dwreck30 »

Yep, I'm here, gotta keep tabs on whats going on in the BBS! I owned a few SS's and really want another. You bought yours from Adam(Artic) right?
- Derek
'06 STi
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

yeah, and had no idea how cool they were. He was talking it up like it was the cat's meow, it was just another car for me. And had AWD, which was a first for me. After playing with it a bit (and breaking it, see above) I'm hooked on subarus.

There've been a few for sale in the past year, but I think mine was the nicest.