Need Confirmation Please - 04 WRX Shifter Assembly

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

07Evolved
Second Gear

Need Confirmation Please - 04 WRX Shifter Assembly

Post by 07Evolved »

Hey guys,
I have searched the forum and I think this assembly will work on my car ( 91 Legacy L Wagon 2.2L 5 MT N/A BJ) but I wanted to make sure with you guys before I purchase this stuff. My current shifter is sloppy and I wanted to look into a short shifter and I found this off of an 04 WRX:

- Shifter Assembly: $80 5MT
INCLUDES:
- STi Titanium Shift Knob
- Kartboy Short Shifter
- Kartboy Bushings

What do you guys think? Would this work for me?
All input and help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you,
Brad
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Pretty sure it will work. I put a WRX shifter assembly in mine but it was an 03 or something but I think it'll still work. I know someone on here is using an 08 sti shifter or something.

But I think he had to do something to it to make it fit and the shifter off a little.

Make sure you replace any bushings on that shifter assembly that need to be replaced before you put it in because it's a pain in the ass to do once it's on the car.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

kimokalihi wrote:Pretty sure it will work. I put a WRX shifter assembly in mine but it was an 03 or something but I think it'll still work. I know someone on here is using an 08 sti shifter or something.

But I think he had to do something to it to make it fit and the shifter off a little.

Make sure you replace any bushings on that shifter assembly that need to be replaced before you put it in because it's a pain in the ass to do once it's on the car.
Thank you again! I think the shifter assembly is pretty new. I will double-check on that.

I read your thread when you did your shifter change. For the bushings you are talking about, you mean the 6 that you bought from the dealership?

Thanks again!!

I'm going to try and use this assembly or try what my bro's stock 05 STi shift linkage would do (since it's free.)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think STI is different and may require some sort of modification.

I was talking about all the bushings. If it's newere it may not need them replaced, you'll know when you get it which ones are good and which ones are worn, loose or nonexistent. Also the spring can be replaced and that'll help keep your shifter sturdy.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

kimokalihi wrote:I think STI is different and may require some sort of modification.

I was talking about all the bushings. If it's newere it may not need them replaced, you'll know when you get it which ones are good and which ones are worn, loose or nonexistent. Also the spring can be replaced and that'll help keep your shifter sturdy.
Thank you very much! I guess I will get that 04 WRX shifter assembly then. What kind of modification do you think would be required with the sti linkage? Is it because it is a 6MT? I just thought it wouldn't matter because it is only the "stick" itself.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

are you looking at getting the WHOLE assembly or just the "short shifter"(AKA "stick")?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Mattheww044 wrote:are you looking at getting the WHOLE assembly or just the "short shifter"(AKA "stick")?
I guess it is just the "short shifter" with the bushings.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Ok everyone, it is the WHOLE assembly...

07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

What does everyone think?

If it fits, I think this would make a world of difference for my BJ.
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Please help me out with this....I might go get it tomorrow.

Also, I just confirmed that the 05 STi "stick" itself will not work. The ball at the end of the stick fits in the original hole, but the width of the transmission linkage to the stick was too small for the stick.

I think this will work...but please help me out on the 04 WRX assembly.
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It'll work. You can bolt it right in. Go get it. If it doesn't work, I'll buy it from you I want that shortshifter lol.

BTW that's a really good deal with that shortshifter. I saw that thing sell for like $80 used.

The Kartboy site isn't working properly right now. I couldn't find the shortshifter on their site and it wouldn't display the WRX parts for some reason.

But here it is from rallysportdirect for $120 with bushings.

Plus the rest of the shift linkage is worth probably $30. So $80 is pretty good for the whole setup and you get the shift knob, which I'm not into. Don't like metal shift knobs, they're either cold or hot.

Leather shift knob for me.

If you don't want that shortshifter, I'll gladly trade you a couple stock shifters for it lol.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

kimokalihi wrote:It'll work. You can bolt it right in. Go get it. If it doesn't work, I'll buy it from you I want that shortshifter lol.

BTW that's a really good deal with that shortshifter. I saw that thing sell for like $80 used.

The Kartboy site isn't working properly right now. I couldn't find the shortshifter on their site and it wouldn't display the WRX parts for some reason.

But here it is from rallysportdirect for $120 with bushings.

Plus the rest of the shift linkage is worth probably $30. So $80 is pretty good for the whole setup and you get the shift knob, which I'm not into. Don't like metal shift knobs, they're either cold or hot.

Leather shift knob for me.

If you don't want that shortshifter, I'll gladly trade you a couple stock shifters for it lol.
LOL...thank you so much man. I will def go get it tomorrow then. I really hope it works. I'm sure it will def make the shifting and feel of my car completely different and so much better.

I'm looking forward to it. I thought it was a pretty good deal too with all the Kartboy stuff.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

It will work, BUT... you're going to need another U-joint piece from the dealer, it'll cost about $65... unless it comes with the linkage.

Here's the two side by side, you can see where they changed the end of the linkage...

You need it to look like this:

Not a big deal, you'll love the WRX shifter!
Last edited by Aerotech on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Part number (6) is what you'll need...

Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Aerotech wrote:Part number (6) is what you'll need...

Thank you very much for the info! Will the stock part #6 that is on my car not work? The stock one looks like what you have pictured too.

Will the WRX short shifter and Kartboy bushings be awesome? I can't wait!
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Do you know the part number for that Part #6 off hand?
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You mean this joint?

Part # 35047AC030 $42.04 1stsubaruparts.com

07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

kimokalihi wrote:You mean this joint?

Part # 35047AC030 $42.04 1stsubaruparts.com

Sure looks like to me!!! Thank you again!!

Is this part specific to the 04 WRX?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah it's for the WRX. I bought one for $38 or something from the same site but I guess it went up in price. At least that's what I thought I paid back then.

Put it on my WRX shift linkage. Goes on the shaft coming out of the tranny and connects that shaft to your shift linkage. Only way to replace those bushings is to replace that whole link. The link is pressed together so it can't come apart to replace the bushings alone.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

All the newer 5spds use that joint vs. what's on our Legacies. As it's been said, you can just replace the joints and use the newer linkage.

Getting the two roll pins out can be kind of tricky. Make sure you have a good set of punches.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

If you check my build journal I have pictures showing the roll pin removal and the exact size punches or bolts you will need for each pin.

I'd post them in here but I don't have time right now, maybe after work.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

Wow, thanks guys! I just got back with the shift assembly and my new wheels. The wheels give the car a completely different look!

Yes, please! Any help on this how to install this setup that you guys talk about would be wonderful! I would greatly appreciate all info to make this easier for me.

Thanks again guys!!
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

I checked...I do have a set of punches.

I will greatly appreciate further install help on this!
Brad

2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You can look through my build thread in my signature. Getting that joint off the tranny shaft was pretty hard. You really have to beat on it with a big hammer to break it loose. At least I did.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

kimokalihi wrote:You can look through my build thread in my signature. Getting that joint off the tranny shaft was pretty hard. You really have to beat on it with a big hammer to break it loose. At least I did.
Thank you sir, I will take a look...