new wa member- little pic ho-ing inside

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

pancakeftw
In Neutral

new wa member- little pic ho-ing inside

Post by pancakeftw »

I've been lurking for a few weeks, definately want in
I'm from the VW/euro community, but now ive driven a subaru and will never go back :-D

My car is a 1993 Subaru Legacy LS 25th Anniversary Silver Edition Sedan in Ice Blue on Blue.
145xxxmi, AT :? , power stuff, sunroof, etc.
gonna throw some royal black rota gt3s on, tint, and the back center taillamp from the aussie SS. keep it up for some "hellafunctional"ity, thule rack that sh*t up! lol

parental units just bought a 2009 Subaru Outback Special Edition
18k so far, got that flyin upgraded sound to turn them b*tches heads-- my mommy knows how to keep it real

but more seriously, i dont have a clue what im doing... which is why im here... maybe a little for those steazy subie bbqs? *obnoxious eybrow raising*
sorry for the crappy cellphone pix, ill try to hook this up w/ some more later.
also need to know about hooking up fogs to the 1st gen. and that center cap im missing
thanks.
logan9691
Second Gear

Re: new wa member- little pic ho-ing inside

Post by logan9691 »

Welcome to the board.

You've come to right place to find info. But alot of JDM and EDM parts are really hard to find sometimes. If you happen to find the aussie rear garnish for the trunk I'll be pretty jealous. Front fog lights could be easily as difficult to find unless you find someone on here looking to get rid of theres, which happens every now and then. Now go buy yourself an SS and have some real fun.
VF43 custom FMIC APEXI intake Invidia 3" TBE JDM Ver. 4 RA STi trans (4.44) SPT short shifter rear LSD WRX rear axels coilover suspension JDM 4-pot front brakes drilled slotted rottors Greddy EBC tuned 20G ECU sti 550cc injectors Jecs MAF walbro 255
pancakeftw
In Neutral

Post by pancakeftw »

logan9691 wrote:Now go buy yourself an SS and have some real fun.
lol i wanted one like jfk wanted a car with a roof, but my dad has worked parts/service for over 20 yrs and apparently its a pain in the a$$ to buy a used turbo w/o maintainance records... this one was a steal and i got it from the subaru dealer that sold it originally. WIN!
i have some family in austrailia, ill see if they'll find me one :idea: might be able to hook some peeps up here too
thanks for the welcome :-)
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

yeah fo sheazy mah neazy breazy!! whoa, there was some crazy fresh slang in thurr that I didnt understand.

haha all jokes.

Welcome! This place has it all and even some more and a lot of great people with a lot of knowledge. Clean Legacy with some low miles!

:)
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
logan9691
Second Gear

Post by logan9691 »

its not that bad bad. The SS and NA have the same common problems. Personally the more service records the more concerned I get. The ss i got had a ton of service records but had more problems then I care to list. Go buy one and use what you learn on here and turn it into a project. You'll be amazed by the difference in fun between a NA and an SS, its incredible.
VF43 custom FMIC APEXI intake Invidia 3" TBE JDM Ver. 4 RA STi trans (4.44) SPT short shifter rear LSD WRX rear axels coilover suspension JDM 4-pot front brakes drilled slotted rottors Greddy EBC tuned 20G ECU sti 550cc injectors Jecs MAF walbro 255
pancakeftw
In Neutral

Post by pancakeftw »

unfortunately i cant buy one or trade up now. this is my 3rd car in 6 months. my mom and the insurance company are done. i dont wreck them, i just get bored.
*inexperienced question #1: can i put a turbo on this. and when you say no, what can i do to make this BA? (thats bad-ass, subieprice ;-) )
#2: ive heard that w/ AWD, all the wheels have to be the same dimensions? offset standard?
#3: is there a big magic book of legacy wizardry? (w/ VW, i always had the comfort of a vague but helpful bentley publishing service manual...)
#4: where is the search thingy, because im sure im going to get n00b flamed if i keep going... :-D
EDIT: i found it, it turns out its on the top and bottom of every page... facepalm
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

pancakeftw wrote:unfortunately i cant buy one or trade up now. this is my 3rd car in 6 months. my mom and the insurance company are done. i dont wreck them, i just get bored.
*inexperienced question #1: can i put a turbo on this. and when you say no, what can i do to make this BA? (thats bad-ass, subieprice ;-) )
#2: ive heard that w/ AWD, all the wheels have to be the same dimensions? offset standard?
#3: is there a big magic book of legacy wizardry? (w/ VW, i always had the comfort of a vague but helpful bentley publishing service manual...)
#4: where is the search thingy, because im sure im going to get n00b flamed if i keep going... :-D
EDIT: i found it, it turns out its on the top and bottom of every page... facepalm
Your name sounds familiar, were you on nwmotoring? Or maybe ever in the wheels section of vwvortex?

1. You can add a turbo to anything 8) pretty sure there's some people around here that have done it, but I couldn't tell you anything about it
2. I've never heard this, I have friends with staggered wheels on WRXs, but I don't know, staggered setups screw up handling anyway though you don't want that.
3. There's no Bentley equivalent :( you can get a Chilton or Haynes, which both suck in comparison, otherwise your best bet is on here, or someone posted this in a thread I made, seems helpful
http://endwrench.com/

EDIT: Site seems to be down right now
logan9691
Second Gear

Post by logan9691 »

Like he said you can turbo anything, it just takes some work to turbo something that isn't set up for it. For example to turbo a NA subaru you would need.... turbo exhaust manifold, uppipe, turbo (obviously) re-do exhaust for a down pipe, you will also have to get the heads tapped for oil and coolant for the turbo, different intake set up, among numerous other things i'm sure. But when you turbo a high compression engine they are tons of fun to drive haha.
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

yeah and you'd need a turbo ECU. Itd most likely be easier to swap engines IMO.

But I have a friend who has gone through like three EJ22's in his impreza, he was running a T3/T4 with a FMIC and engine management all bolted up to the 1.8L drive train and it is insane...actually no, its BA! haha

But pretty much anything is here from NA to turbo swaps, FWD to AWD swaps, 400hp wagons and crazy JDM swaps just takes a little (ok a lot) of searching

Good Luck!! (Im being serious here) :)
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
pancakeftw
In Neutral

Post by pancakeftw »

Your name sounds familiar, were you on nwmotoring? Or maybe ever in the wheels section of vwvortex?

1. You can add a turbo to anything 8) pretty sure there's some people around here that have done it, but I couldn't tell you anything about it
i was foxvergnoogen on vwvortex.
my dad worked at hanson subaru (oly) when the new boxers were coming out, and he says they called them pancake engines or something... then i added ftw, new name was born. haha im sparxo on the other forums FFR

on the turbo: i can add one, but i cant take one off of the stock turbo right? theyre one unit right? so it wont work with a regular ej, and it wont run stand alone without it? theres NO WAY my mom is going to allow an engine swap. i still have like 700$ in fox parts in the garage :shock: . maybe ill keep driving like a grandpa (no offense to some on here :wink: )
logan9691
Second Gear

Post by logan9691 »

pancakeftw wrote:

on the turbo: i can add one, but i cant take one off of the stock turbo right? theyre one unit right? so it wont work with a regular ej, and it wont run stand alone without it? theres NO WAY my mom is going to allow an engine swap. i still have like 700$ in fox parts in the garage :shock: . maybe ill keep driving like a grandpa (no offense to some on here :wink: )
The best thing you can do would to probably try to find someone with all the turbo components off of a EJ22T engine. Everything unbolts from each other (turbo, up-pipe, down pipe, exhaust manifold, cross members ect.) The beautiful thing about subaru EJ series engines is that everything is pretty much interchangeable with some work. When it comes to ECU issues there is a mixed boat, some people say you would need an ECU out of a turbo car or some kind of stand alone unit to run a turbo, other says the NA ECU is to stupid to understand whats going on so it wont care about the extra air going in. REMEMBER: there are many small issues you will probably run into when adding a turbo to an NA engine but nothing that probably couldn't be figured out with some brain power.