Why not to run an atmospheric BOV on a Legacy

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why not to run an atmospheric BOV on a Legacy

Post by Legacy777 »

This is true for any MAF based engine. The air leaking out at idle or free revving is horrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzzUa82wRlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKXpXa7PLts
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Re: Why not to run an atmospheric BOV on a Legacy

Post by gijonas »

That thing is clearly not adjusted right.The BOV on my car doesnt just kind hang out open like that at idle,I think if he tightened that knob a little he might have better results ;-).

That said i plan on converting to recirc. at some point for other reasons.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

what may these other reasons be if you don't mind me asking? I am running recirc and plan on doing so until I get a standalone which won't be for quite some time. If you have standalone you dont need recirc though do you? As long as its tuned to run atmosphere right?
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

isnt that what all blow offs do? Supposed to relieve boost once throttle plate closes?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Florin1 wrote:isnt that what all blow offs do? Supposed to relieve boost once throttle plate closes?
That's exactly what a properly adjusted BOV should do. An atmospheric BOV will cause a *momentary* rich spike when it releases, but that's all that should happen. There's tons of WRXs and STis around here running just fine with a MAF & an atmospheric BOV.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

And the way it was explained to me is that the "rich" condtion from the VTA BOV is not really that rich and does not last long.
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

what may these other reasons be if you don't mind me asking?
The noise gets old ;-)
And the way it was explained to me is that the "rich" condtion from the VTA BOV is not really that rich and does not last long.
Exactly.I see it on my LC-1 and honestly i only see it if it takes me too long to shift,plus it helps in the rally noise department as it facilitates a nice little backfire :-)
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mattheww044 wrote:If you have standalone you dont need recirc though do you? As long as its tuned to run atmosphere right?
If your stand alone is setup for a speed density system or MAP based system, then you can run atmospheric.

There is still some benefit for running recirculated as it helps keep the turbo spooled.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

gijonas wrote:
what may these other reasons be if you don't mind me asking?
The noise gets old ;-)
Exactly.I see it on my LC-1 and honestly i only see it if it takes me too long to shift,plus it helps in the rally noise department as it facilitates a nice little backfire :-)

It can make everyone think you have anti-lag :P

I've vented to atmosphere for as long as i can remember... without my emanage installed (yet) if i am like pulling up to a stop light, sometimes my car dies. and i f*cking hate that. and it's all because of my BOV.

I'm currently looking for a wrx bpv or a turbo xs recirc to solve my problem.

Seriously i recommend a recirc, even if you have a tune.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have a WRX bypass valve if you want it. $5 Only problem is, it's missing the elbow that comes off the side.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Some of it depends on how you adjust the atmospheric valve's spring tension. My old car -- the one n2x4 has now -- has a stock WRX valve on it that I modified (smushed with calibrated hammer taps) to increase spring tension so it's closed at idle.

It works pretty well but there are some weird part-throttle situations in which it screws with the air metering because the pressure differential between the compressor outlet and the intake manifold isn't high enough to keep the valve shut. That also screws with the fuel trims, of course.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Jester808
First Gear

Post by Jester808 »

vrg3 wrote:Some of it depends on how you adjust the atmospheric valve's spring tension. My old car -- the one n2x4 has now -- has a stock WRX valve on it that I modified (smushed with calibrated hammer taps) to increase spring tension so it's closed at idle.

It works pretty well but there are some weird part-throttle situations in which it screws with the air metering because the pressure differential between the compressor outlet and the intake manifold isn't high enough to keep the valve shut. That also screws with the fuel trims, of course.
That's what I get after I adjusted it, the car runs like crap after installing the BOV, and it started to run rich at all times, even idle it was being a piggy :p. My stock BPV broke when I was fixing some cracks in the Turbo Inlet Hose and I had to put this APS unit on. I didn't bother messing with adjustment when I slapped it on there, lucky Legacy777 spotted it when we were installing and tuning the Manual Boost Controller this past weekend.

I don't think these are necessary at all on an all Stock motor like mine, it ran better with the BPV leaking. I can't wait to get a Stock unit from the Dealer in a couple of weeks. Legacy777 went over the entire car with the Select Monitor back when I first got it and there has been a significant downfall in performance and reliability since I started having problems and putting this stuff on there. I need all new everything right now for it to run properly.

It's kinda funny though how the BOV smiles at you as it's just leaking air out :lol:. I adjusted it to the point where it won't stay open like that, but now it's too stiff and the car gets bonkers and stumbles when I let off the gas. It still blows air off though, I just hate the attention :evil:.
1993 Turbo Legacy Battle Wagon -Daily
1993 Legacy Wagon -STI Swapped *in progress*
1995 Impreza Swapped EJ20G -Sold
1997 Impreza Wagon, SCCA H-Stock Champion -Sold
1979 Brat 4x4 WRB w/ Full Rally Graphics -Sold
2002 Impreza Sport Wagon GT40R -Caught Fire
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

The forge vta I had on my impreza worked fine, only problem was if you let go of the throttle just as it reached boost it would pop loudly. Otherwise there was no difference between running with stock vs vta.
I got a 01 wrx recirc on the legacy and had planned for a more subtle vta this time. After I had it tuned I decided not to though, the 01 bov sounds awesome with open filter and fmic, it opens and closes a bunch of times and it makes me smile every time. My wife was like "wtf just happened" the first time I floored it and the bov laughed at her :lol:

The forge was a bit too much for me though, it screamed loudly every single time you would shift no matter how little boost it saw.
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Alex, I would probably back off the BOV, it sounds like you're getting compresser surge, which is going to be worse than running rich.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Jester808
First Gear

Post by Jester808 »

Got it, I already did. I'll just have to live with it smiling and mocking me until I get my Recirc in.

BOV's are ghey on Automatics :P.
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

I never had any idle issues while running my hks ssqv. always ran good of course it ran rich for a moment but it closed quickly maybe it depends on the valve it self?
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

I ran a HKS VTA, and it was fine at idle. It did run rich whenever it opened, just becasue it acts like a metered air leak. At low speeds and low rpm if I let off the gas quickly it was rich enough to cause it to stall, this got old real fast! If I was going fast enough it never stalled, but I freaquent the University campus and speed limits are slow. If someone pulled out in front of me or ran out in the road, I'd have to let off suddenly and it would stall. Stalling enough times in front of mobs of HOT coeds, and having to restart the engine is kinda embarasing enough to make you go back to a recirculating BOV. BTW I have an Automatic, if it helps any.

Now I just run a black Bosch style that can be found on many VW's, works fine and holds at least 18psi, and are very abundant at the JY.

Brian
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc
Jester808
First Gear

Post by Jester808 »

91legacyawdturbo wrote:I never had any idle issues while running my hks ssqv. always ran good of course it ran rich for a moment but it closed quickly maybe it depends on the valve it self?
This is what I've been thinking too, while waiting for my Recirc I put on an HKS SSQV II because I wanted to see if a Pull-Type would have the same negative effect as the Push-Type, and it didn't. I did however use the FMIC setup as opposed to the TMIC with the bracket that bolts onto the TMIC, from what I've seen, alot of those TMIC setups are leaky.