Ball joint question.

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Ball joint question.

Post by Danny-G »

To the best of my knoweledge, the ball joints are still stock in my '93 and thats about 256,000 miles. Should I replace them even if the boots are fine? I will be doing an axle soon so the ball joint wouldn't be a problem.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Ball joint question.

Post by evolutionmovement »

Do they have play in them? If not, I wouldn't. The job's easy on its own so there's not much labor to be saved replacing them with the axles unless they're bad.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

I'm not sure if they do or not. How do you check for play?
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Jack the car up and pull on the top and bottom of the wheel. Also try side to side while you're at it to check the tie rods. If anything has any play in it, see where the moving is occurring and replace that.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

the top and bottom pull-push thing is not 100%. the reason is that the balljoint will be preloaded by the lower control arm bushings while the strut assembly is at full extension.

since you are replacing an axle, you have two choices for installation: 1. remove the control arm at the bushings or 2. separate the ball joint. if you are curious about ball-joint condition, then remove the joint pinch screw from the knuckle. use a screwdriver to slightly spread the forked pinch area while sliding the ball joint out of the knuckle. grasp the socket portion of the joint in your hand and move it side to side and up/down to check for internal clearance. if there is any slop, the joint is bad and must be replaced.