What transmission do I have??

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wakingtowinter
In Neutral

What transmission do I have??

Post by wakingtowinter »

All right guys, need some help ID'ing my tranny. I have a 93 turbo wagon that will need a clutch soon, and I'd like to start shopping around for a good deal, but I'm not sure yet what I need. Obviously since I have a wagon this tranny was swapped in at some point, before I got it. I didn't do the swap. Now I've had it up in the air and the ONLY markings I could find on the tranny were FM-2 on one side and FM-3 on the other. I googled that and couldn't find anything to do with tranny ID. Is there anything I could look for that would tell me what I have? I need to know what clutches are going to work on here, preferably before I get all torn down, since it is my daily driver. Thanks!
93 Legacy Turbo Wagon 5 speed totaled...
asotwavb
First Gear

Re: What transmission do I have??

Post by asotwavb »

Cable or hydraulic?
1992 Legacy Sport
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If you take pictures for us, we can tell you what kind of clutches you can use. What we especially need to see is the top of the bellhousing and how the clutch fork is actuated.

If it's actuated by a cable, or if it's actuated by a hydraulic slave cylinder that pushes towards the back of the car, you need a non-turbo clutch. If it's actuated by a slave cylinder that pushes towards the front of the car, you need a turbo clutch.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
wakingtowinter
In Neutral

Post by wakingtowinter »

it is hydraulic. I can probably get some pics of it today. I also forgot to mention that it has 4.11 gears, if that narrows it down at all.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Sounds to be like a 2.5RS transmission to me.

You don't necessarily have to take pictures; it'd just help us to be sure.

In addition to the direction of the slave cylinder, you can also look at the way the slave cylinder is mounted. If it's standing up, with its two mounting bolts on the same side of the cylinder, that's a turbo transmission. If it's flat on the top of the transmission, with one mounting bolt on either side of the cylinder, it's a non-turbo.

This is what a turbo slave cylinder looks like: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=966669

This is what a non-turbo slave cylinder looks like: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1382537

But I don't think any turbo models came with 4.11 gearing in the US.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
wakingtowinter
In Neutral

Post by wakingtowinter »

Cool. Yeah I had a friend look at it and he thought it was a push-type clutch but he wasn't 100% sure. Also I forgot to mention that it has VLSD, if that helps to narrow it down even further. So basically I should be looking at any clutches for a 2.5RS application? Is there a certain spline count or are all push type clutches the same? Thanks a bunch!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You can use a clutch for any non-turbo Impreza, Legacy, Forester, Outback, Baja, etc., for model years 1990 through 2005 or something. I believe sometime in the mid '00s they changed the design. This is, of course, unless your transmission is from one of those much newer cars.

The spline counts are all the same. I suggest a 2.5RS application because it'll be stronger than a clutch made for a 2.2-liter.
wakingtowinter
In Neutral

Post by wakingtowinter »

Awesome, exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!