Help. Hose about to blow.

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LookAsubie
First Gear

Help. Hose about to blow.

Post by LookAsubie »

Hey guys, was just under my car to change the oil and noticed the reddish orange hose that comes out of the bottom of the motor and loops right next to the oil filter is splitting big time and is about to pop. Anyone know what this specific hose is called or have a part number? Is it a coolant line or an oil line?

Thanks in advance!
-Logan
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
vrg3
Vikash

Re: Help. Hose about to blow.

Post by vrg3 »

I'm having trouble imagining which line you're talking about. I might be having a brain fart but I can't think of any hoses that come out the bottom of the motor on a 92 SS. Any chance you could take a picture?

Unless... does your car have an oil-to-water cooler installed? Those only came on 91 models but maybe someone put one on your car. The oil cooler goes between the oil filter and the block, and has one hose that goes over to the water pump and one that goes up into the block.

Is that latter hose the one you're talking about? If it is, it carries coolant and has an ID of about 1/2". The stock one isn't red, though; it's black.

Subaru made at least three oil coolers that fit -- the one used on 91 Legacy Turbos, the one used on Foresters, and the one used on WRXes. There may be variants of those. Anyway, the important part is that the 91 oil cooler used a different hose than the Forester and WRX coolers. The old one is kind of U-shaped (which it sounds like yours might be, since you describe it as looping) and the new one is more like a 90-degree elbow. In either case, they are 11.5mm inner diameter, which is close to 1/2".

The old hose part number is 807611182 and the new one is part number 807611031.

If yours really looks like it's going to fail soon, replace it right away. A dealer probably will not have the hose in stock, but just ask any auto parts store if they have any piece of 1/2" heater hose that's about the right shape, or that you could cut to fit. If they don't, just buy two 1/2" heater bypass caps and cap off both fittings for the time being so you don't end up stranded. The car will run fine with those capped off.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Heres a picture. This is looking from the front of the car.
Hopefully this helps.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I can't tell for sure because there isn't much context in that photo and it's been more than a year since I've worked on a Legacy Turbo, but I do believe that nipple on the block is what the oil cooler uses. I can't clearly see it in that picture, but to me the oil filter looks too high up for there to be an oil cooler in there.

That's not a stock hose, and it doesn't even look to me like it's there replacing a stock hose. Where does the other end of that hose go? Looks like someone did some creative modifications or repairs.

Curious.

But in any case, that looks like basic aftermarket heater hose. Whatever it's doing, you should be able to replace it with bulk 1/2" heater hose from the auto parts store.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that is certainly not stock. Where does that hose go?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Its fixed, i got a foot of heater hose and fixed it.. Its a coolant line that came out of the motor right there next to the filter and wraps up over the exhaust manifold and connect to another section.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You might want to figure out what the deal with that hose is... I feel like this hose failed because heater hose just shouldn't be that close to the exhaust manifold.
StreetLegacy93
First Gear

Post by StreetLegacy93 »

wrap that up in heater wrap and call it a day
Greg
1993 Subaru Legacy L Wagon BJ6
2006 Honda Civic Si FG2
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

vrg3 wrote:You might want to figure out what the deal with that hose is... I feel like this hose failed because heater hose just shouldn't be that close to the exhaust manifold.
Thats what I was thinkin too, but it had been like that since ive had the car for over a year now. So it lasted a long time.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

A year's not a long time for a hose to last.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

on cars with a cooler, that hose goes into the cooler, and then the outlet of the cooler goes across to the water pump where there is an extra inlet.

on cars without a cooler that port should be a blank plug and there shouldn't be an inlet on the left side of the water pump.