Down pipe, turbo back.

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Thesubielover
Third Gear

Down pipe, turbo back.

Post by Thesubielover »

Does anyone no where I can get a down pipe for my 93 turbo legacy? Any good pointers on turbo back or cat back and if I'm waisting my time on a cat back exhaust? How much hp gain am I looking at with the intake and exhaust? Thanks for all the help! Will post pics soon.
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: Down pipe, turbo back.

Post by PhyrraM »

If you want an exact bolt up to a factory SS exhaust, then look for any aftermarket '93-'00 WRX (GC) downpipe. If you don't mind lengthening or shortening a few pipes to make it fit, then you can use a '02-'07 WRX (GD) downipe.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Thanks man, thats great. I'll look around online, I have some $ to spend. Is there a specific brand that may be better and should I go with stainless steel for the life of the product?
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Do you mean I can get the GD version and do a turbo back and it will fit? I'll go that route if I have to and I wouldnt mind doing the turbo back.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Does the 2002 and on wrx up pipe work out? Heres a link to a web site I found. http://www.rallysportdirect.com/1993-Su ... .2L_Uppipe
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yes it will work but it's a waste of money. Why do you want it? It's probably going to be a larger diameter and that will only hurt performance (the larger the diameter the lower the velocity of the gas) and there's really nothing wrong with the stock turbo legacy up pipe. Those WRX/STI up pipes are usually a highly sought after item for the guys with the WRX/STI up pipes that have catalytic converters in them and are worried about them coming apart and grenading their turbo. They're also ridiculously over-priced.

A WRX or STI turbo back exhaust will need to be modified to fit your car. It bolts up to the turbo but the mid pipe must be lengthened I believe to fit properly and possibly some customer pipe bending in the rear to make it a nice fit. But that's the cheap part. The exhaust itself is what will cost you.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Thanks for the info, I'll just leave the up pipe, and get a full turbo back set up from a 2002-2007 wrx/sti. Thanks for all of the info!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You're welcome! If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just an FYI, the turbo legacy & STi up pipes without cats are identical, including pipe size.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Hey there, what era sti turbo back should I be looking at for the exact match up?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You're not going to gain anything going with a stock downpipe and exhaust.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

So what am I looking for then a downpipe for an 02-07 wrx/sti and then just have a muffler shop fab me a cat back?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah find a downpipe. I have one for sale if you want it $50. Standard 3" bellmouth downpipe. No known brand name. Stainless. It's got a bung in the bottom of it rather than the top where you want it to be. They sell the bungs on ebay. Or find a downpipe local to you. Then find a muffler and have the exhaust shop do the rest for you.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Sure I'll pick that up from you. Your just south of Olmpia right? I'm off all weekend if you want to arrange a meeting somewhere. I live in downtown Seattle, so federal way or Fife by the EQC, either way. What mufflers look good with our cars, and this will probably create the nice boxer growl am I right? Do you think this set up will give me a bit more power? 15-20hp gain? If you have any other parts or know where I can get some I'd be game to drive down later to you and maybe take it to the PIA in Tacoma.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

IMO large twin tips look the best but everyone has their own taste. A 3" exhaust will bring out that boxer growl you're after. I suggest a resonator in the mid pipe as well to keep the drone bearable on the highway. Smooths it out. I also suggest catless if you can since I just had an aftermarket cat come apart and the chunk got caught in my muffler tip heating it up and melting my bumper. Had to remove the whole exhaust to get it out. But you're up north so you have to do emissions tests and I don't know if you'll pass or not. I'd try it anyway and if it doesn't pass you can add a cat later. Up to you.

I might be able to meet you. I usually sleep til between 3 and 6 pm so it might not be an option for me to drive that far on those days because I leave for work at 7pm. I'm off weds and thursdays.

Here's what my twin 2.5" tips look like.

Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Yeah I agree, that muffler looks nice. I may be off one of those days. I'll have to check my calendar tonight. Clean car, looks great. Is that an after market sway bar? I was thinking of reging my car at my moms place in Ellensburg where they dont need emissions tests :) so that may not be an issue. But regardless, adding a cat back on wont be an issue if I have to, your right.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

I'm going over your build thread now.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks. It's a Whiteline 20mm adjustable swaybar. There's a 20mm WRX wagon swaybar on the front as well.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Hey so are you still looking to sell that downpipe? I'd still like it and can meet Saturday or Sunday.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

What kind of a twin tip muffler is that? I was looking at flow master, and borla.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's sittin at my moms in her woodshed in a pile of parts. What time can you meet? I work nights and leave at 7pm from my house so it's gotta be earlier than that.

That is a Bosal Twin Tip muffler.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

Where do you work? I can try to meet you half way.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I work between oakville and rochester. Straight west of here so that's not on your way anymore than meeting me here would be.
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

What days are you off again? Also, do you have any extra parts your looking to sell? Im getting a hallman pro manual boost controller from my friend to put in at the same time that I do the downpipe, hi flow or cat delete and muffler which I still need to buy.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I highly recommend no cat if possible. I don't have any of those parts. All the parts I have for sale are in my for sale thread which is pretty old so search for it.

My days off are wednesday and thursday.