engine managment for JDM motors

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

turbo wagon
First Gear

engine managment for JDM motors

Post by turbo wagon »

Hello,

I am doing some research for a friend that wants to use a JDM motor for a swap.

What are the engine management options if he just gets the engine
And
Should he just get a front clip with everything and use the jdm ecu

Derek
93 legacy wagon 5speed -Ej22t swap
92 SVX
86 vanagon with an SVX swap
01 outback the lactation-station-wagon
91legacyawdturbo
Second Gear

Re: engine managment for JDM motors

Post by 91legacyawdturbo »

This all depends on what type of swap in which you choose. There are different ways of going about it. Yes a front clip will be easier to do since you will receive the majority of the parts needed. Though by doing a jdm front clip wiring will be needed to make the right hand drive configuration fit into a left hand drive configuration. Also with an swap you need to figure out what other parts will be needed. A swap isn't cheap be prepared to put down some money. I recently did a 2001 jdm sti ej207 swap with the matching 6 speed non dccd trans, we didn't use the sti hubs so there for we had to make hybrid axles for the rear end, had to wire in a fuel pump controller. re-fab the radiator core support. wire harness merge the body/chassis harness to the sti engine harness, tie in the abs, air conditioning, and be carefull of the airbag system. Really depends on what donor clip you choose and what the car your swapping it into. obd-1 cars tend to be easier to swap then a obd-2 car. when your receive the front clip or engine you should replace the water pump and timing belt. Do your research on what is needed, find the factory service manual, take your time with it.

Try to match the ecu to the engine, and all of the sensors to that ecu. will make life easier. vehical speed sensors also differ newer to older. mechanical speed sensor cable. two wire vss, three wire vss.
91 SS, v9 ej207 twin scroll swap, Gda wrx dash swap.
2002 wrx sport wagon
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Your friend will be in a world of hurt if he doesn't get a full uncut harness. Before he gets it, he/you should look up the specific engine he's thinking about to see who has swapped it into what. If it's going into a newer car (such as an OBD-II Legacy/Impreza/Whatever), look up Iwire, as the guy takes the donor's wiring harness and merges it into the target car's wiring harness for $650 or so. He can pretty much merge any JDM turbo-4 into any usdm model. This is really the least painful way.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
turbo wagon
First Gear

Post by turbo wagon »

I talked to him again and I guess is got the story wrong.

He wants to swap the JDM turbo motor into a factory five kit car.

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/

I looked those things up and I want one now.

So I the engine is going into this kit car would a stand alone be the best option, or just get the front clip. Also will there be any trouble with the octane difference from japan vs the US

Derek
93 legacy wagon 5speed -Ej22t swap
92 SVX
86 vanagon with an SVX swap
01 outback the lactation-station-wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Those factory five kit cars do look pretty cool!

Honestly, I'd stick with the stock ECU. If you go stand alone, sure you can probably tweak things more, but it's a lot more work, time, and money.

Based on what I'm seeing in this table, you shouldn't have any issues with octane on the JDM ecu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm