How to swap an AT for an AT

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93 legacy
In Neutral

How to swap an AT for an AT

Post by 93 legacy »

So im less exciting than most on here, and i want to just swap my transmission from a screaming AT ( some bearing somewhere sounds like its only got a few miles left in the tranny) to a reliable AT, and the only way to get there with some affordability is a used swap.

Anyone have a sticky or a rough step by step in taking out and putting in a AT transmission.

ehow has a generic instructions. remove exhaust, remove front axle pins, remove cords, remove drive train with 4 bolts, remove 5-6 bolts at main seal. use a jack and do it in reverse.

hardly a tutorial but a starting place.

from a 1-10 skillz scale, 1 being oil change, 10 being a engine build from scratch, im like a 5-6 so i think i can do it, or at least I can take my time to read and not cut corners in the garage

rough time for the project? what seals do i need to buy?

Cregilist ad reads: Automatic trans, w/ Very low miles! Has a new Torque Converter as well.
- Just 345 Firm takes it.
INCLUDES Trans Axle /Transfer case section, with Bell housing!!
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: How to swap an AT for an AT

Post by James614 »

I'd recommend getting the Haynes manual, they have instructions for removing the trans. Alternatively, you can download the '91 factory service manual, the link is in one of the stickies in the "stuff you need to know" forum. It's a little bit more than what you mentioned from e-How. While I've only removed my AT with the intention of chucking it for an MT, I have read about care being needed when putting the torque converter on the new trans from others that have done it.

My one word of caution: Make sure you support the front of the engine! Once unbolted from the trans, it will just fall forward into the radiator and tear it's mounts. Not that I would know from personal experience or anything :)
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Removal of the AT can be a bit of a pain. I don't know of a step-by-step write-up on here. I can tell you from experience that removing the AT is a huge pain in the butt due to it's size/weight. A transmission jack would be beneficial to have as well as someone helping.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

+1 on the jack. Get one new/used and resell when done.

And ensure you match the Final drive ratio.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
93 legacy
In Neutral

Post by 93 legacy »

fourth gear! thanks for the heads up! for real.

James 614: good idea, i think i have one of those around already. I think im going to rent a jack. My buddy replaced his MT w/out one and doesnt have positive things to say.

Luckily the transmission im purchasing already has a new converter plate installed. so with any luck ill just need to plug and play, carefully.

With any luck ill make a step by step. so we know what gaskets ill need to buy?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If all you're doing is dropping the old trans and putting a new one in, the only thing I'd suggest replacing is the rear seal on the trans output shaft.

If you know the input seal on the new trans is good, then I wouldn't bother with that.

You will need to install the new flex plat on the engine and then tighten the bolts to the torque converter through the access hole on the bell housing. It's not fun or easy...and generally sucks.

You can see it in these pics:

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_4893.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_2486.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_2487.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_2488.JPG
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93 legacy
In Neutral

Post by 93 legacy »

Legacy777 wrote:If all you're doing is dropping the old trans and putting a new one in, the only thing I'd suggest replacing is the rear seal on the trans output shaft.

I think I will replace the Font seal if I don't have to tear into the transmission ( its the one i can see in the front right?) and the rear

You will need to install the new flex plat on the engine and then tighten the bolts to the torque converter through the access hole on the bell housing. It's not fun or easy...and generally sucks.

Should I leave the old one on the engine then? is there a bearing in the flex plate? the reason im changing the tranny is from an un-identified spooling sound in the transmission so ill replace it if there is a small chance thats it)
I know im going to need new c clips due to the way the axels where "poped" out. does anyone use this method over pin punching? see picture

Also what leaks should i look for on the engines side? gaskets to replace?

So far the list is
1 front seal
1x rear seal
2x yet to be named c-clips/
Last edited by 93 legacy on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've never changed the seal on the input shaft. Assuming you can dig it out without damaging the shaft and install the new one, then yes I'd replace it.

If you have a new flex plate I would replace the flex plate. They are known to develop cracks over time. I don't believe there is a bearing on the flex plate, but I'll let someone confirm.

You'll need to put the picture some other place than your email inbox so it can be viewed publicly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

There is no bearing on the flex plate.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
RoughDiamond
First Gear

Post by RoughDiamond »

I would not recommend popping the stub shafts out due to the obvious fact is that something can damage/nick the output shaft seal and IIRC, those stub shafts actually help align the planet gears in the diff and if rotated too much, are a ROYAL PITA to realign in order to reinstall the stub shaft.

Just punch the roll pins/
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 4EAT // Pewter Metallic (Sold)
1991 Legacy SS (BC) EJ22T // 5MT // Rio Red (Sold)

1991 Legacy SSRS (BC) EJ20G (Full COP and AWIC Swap) // 5MT // White Pearl Tri-Coat Africa Rally replica in progress.
93 legacy
In Neutral

Post by 93 legacy »

the new transmission came with the stub shafts already popped out.

Does anyone know what those clips on them are called? I cannot for the life of me find there name or part number online.

it looks like the seals i need are as follows

front axle/stub shaft seal ( the left and right seals) Part Number: 223050 right and Part Number: 223051 left
Torque Converter Seal (front seal) Part Number: 225010
Extension Housing Seal/drive shaft ( the seal in the back) Part Number: 710324

Can anyone confirm those are the part numbers i need and those are the only 4 seals I can change? Also I need the name and part number for the stub shaft/ axle shaft c clips/ snap clips.

( is there anyway to attach or upload pictures?)
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Are those clips broken? I've always seen the stubs just popped back into place if they were accidentally removed.

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

93 legacy wrote:the new transmission came with the stub shafts already popped out.

Does anyone know what those clips on them are called? I cannot for the life of me find there name or part number online.

it looks like the seals i need are as follows

front axle/stub shaft seal ( the left and right seals) Part Number: 223050 right and Part Number: 223051 left
Torque Converter Seal (front seal) Part Number: 225010
Extension Housing Seal/drive shaft ( the seal in the back) Part Number: 710324

Can anyone confirm those are the part numbers i need and those are the only 4 seals I can change? Also I need the name and part number for the stub shaft/ axle shaft c clips/ snap clips.

( is there anyway to attach or upload pictures?)

There's places you can upload photos like photobucket and imgur. I can host if you want to send me the photos as well.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
93 legacy
In Neutral

Post by 93 legacy »

Thanks fourth gear!

here is the $345 tranmission (rebuilt less than 40k ago only 125k total?)

seal and random o ring
sub shaft/ axle output shaft. the c clip is on the left kind of hard to see
rear of the tranmission

The headgaskets were leaking on this car thats why its so dirty ( allegedly)

left and right axel seals

all of these seals dont look bad, i might not even change them, but if im going to a shop with a seal puller, i guess its only a few cents in seals.

unless someone can help me with this c clamp, im going to reuse them as thats what everyone is advising. I really dont like that idea. i feel like its lazy as c clips cost nothing. am i being overly cautious?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The c clips are called circlips, you can't get new ones without buying new stubs. I'd recommend just using the existing circlips.

The part #'s you're looking for are below. I don't know if the bearing caps have to be removed in order to get the axle/stub seals out. That may be something you want to check before doing the seals. If you have to take out the bearing caps, check out my thread on my 6spd oil seal replacement.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50841

The o-ring on the trans input shaft: 806920010
Torque converter input shaft seal: 806750050
LH front axle oil seal: 806730032
RH front axle oil seal: 806730031
Rear driveshaft oil seal: 806735200
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93 legacy
In Neutral

Post by 93 legacy »

I cant get these seals out for the life of me. I used a harbor and freight seal puller and now ive damaged the axle output shaft housing. I'm hoping i can just switch the caps on the old transmission but im getting much deeper than I want to.

Here is the damage.

How can I get these out? What is the proper tool?
zeke
First Gear

Post by zeke »

Is that a 4.11 transmission or a 3.90?
91 ss Ej22t dohc td04 sti Slanty haltech elite 1500
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The seals look like they come out from the front side there, but they may be like the 6-spd seals and need to be removed from the back side. You can see pictures of that in the link I previously posted.

You really shouldn't swap bearing caps without rechecking the pre-load on the bearing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT