4.44 and rear diff swap

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bcmaxx
First Gear

4.44 and rear diff swap

Post by bcmaxx »

My wrx 2.0 , upgraded 4eat and 4.44 swap almost complete, couple things I'm up against on the rear diff swap:

outer cv axle stubs are seized in the hubs. and by seized I mean, I'll mushroom them trying to get them out... I need the different style rear cv with the stubs for the newer diff. Can I just swap the inner stub housing cups, new new boots and grease and keep my original shafts and outer joints? or retain my stock outers , just swap on the newer style shafts withthe stub inner joints?

and how should the pinion flange be swapped? are they torued or crush collar type? I come from a land of truck rear diffs, these are new to me!
bcmaxx
First Gear

Re: 4.44 and rear diff swap

Post by bcmaxx »

bump! may go ahead and find out
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

The pinion yoke can be swapped off your old diff and toqued to 150 lbs (I believe) and that's good. The axels you need are from 95-99 legacy outback to match up with our hubs and plugs in to the newer diff.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

Diff swap and 05 impreza rear suspension and knuckles all bolted in perfectly. 05 impreza axles also fit great!
bcmaxx
First Gear

Post by bcmaxx »

just to update! 98 outback 4eat works perfectly in every aspect,and with the original tcu